Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2021, 10:32 AM   #41
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

When I worked radio many moons ago we upgraded to a digital playback system, Oakwood I think was the brand. It came loaded with 10's of thousands if not 100's of thousands of songs. I spent a weekend in an offline both drinking and making mix tapes. Just song after song cued up from all sorts of genres. I probably made 20 or 30 tapes in my time there but only have a few left in some old boxes. Music, media and general is so readily available i don't think it gets the appreciate it deserves from the younger generation.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 11:02 AM   #42
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember sometimes having to call in to request songs from the radio so that I could hear a song I liked. The magic of hearing a song come onto the radio that you really wanted to hear was pretty special as a kid.

I'm sure I would have loved to have had the endless selection that kids have now at my fingertips but I think it not having it made music feel somewhat more special.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 11:20 AM   #43
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
I think my first cassette was AC/DC High Voltage. I remember getting a big case for them for Christmas one year. IT had a lock on it and my ####head cousin tried to pick it and broke the damn thing.

Had a Sanyo boombox, that thing got some mileage. Also had the Sony Sports Walkman (mine was blue, not yellow). the volume knob broke off so it was full volume or nothing.

My cassette case and it's contents were donated to my brother in law who has an old RV with a cassette deck still.
My first cassette was Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap. Played the hell out of it.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 12:49 PM   #44
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2021, 12:49 PM   #45
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

I'm pretty sure mine was Buzzsaw.

I only read the third post and have made all assumptions from that.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 01:39 PM   #46
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I would be remiss if I didn't put in a plug for the Calgary Cassette Preservation Society. They've done a pretty exhaustive job of documenting the Calgary music scene through cassettes.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2021, 03:13 PM   #47
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
I'm sure I would have loved to have had the endless selection that kids have now at my fingertips but I think it not having it made music feel somewhat more special.
Yea, it's crazy to think how easily accessible music is today compared to 30 or 40 years ago. Most of the music I got into as a kid was discovered through a variety of different ways. Muchmusic, MTV, and commercial radio were obviously the three most influential sources, but a lot of stuff was also discovered through word of mouth from friends or older siblings who would make cassette copies and pass them around.

I'd get introduced to a new band, and that's where the fun began. Because then you had to go out and try and hunt down the rest of their catalogue, hitting every record shop in town in the process. Sometimes I'd buy an album just because I liked the cover art, or because I thought the band had a cool sounding name. You'd get home from the record store with a couple of new tapes or CDs and you felt like you'd been on an adventure.

Now all you have to do is pick up your phone and with a single click you have immediate access to every song ever recorded. It's wild.

Last edited by direwolf; 03-12-2021 at 03:18 PM.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2021, 03:55 PM   #48
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

^^^

The thrill of the hunt is something that is almost completely lost in modern culture. I wonder if that's why something like Pokemon Go became popular?
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2021, 12:26 AM   #49
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Who remembers doing the pencil fix?

Old 03-13-2021, 08:07 AM   #50
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Who remembers doing the pencil fix?

Everyone over...about age 45 or 50.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 08:32 AM   #51
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
First cassette tape I ever owned:

Have it on vinyl now. And I consider myself probably one of North America's biggest Oasis fans.
This was my first CD along with Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness and Silverchair's Frogstomp.

I think my first tape I bought was Weird Al. Maybe this one.

savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 12:26 PM   #52
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

My first cassette

PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2021, 04:19 PM   #53
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I recently found my old yellow walkman, and a bunch of mix tapes in my parents garage. Also found the last mixtape that I made, meant for a girl from Saskatoon. The track list is still awesome beyond imagining. There was a magic to being forced to listen to tracks in a certain order.
Old 03-14-2021, 05:14 PM   #54
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Still have mine, bunch of Pointed Sticks, Clash, Beat Farmers, Violent Fems and the like in that old box. Ah the good old days.
Miss the freedom.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 05:16 PM   #55
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was never big on cassettes due to their lower sound quality compared to vinyl and reel-to-reel. But I did have a few playlists (rock, jazz, soul, pop) recorded on TDK cassettes for the car in the early 90's. Had about 12 of them in a box for trips on rural roads where radio station choices were limited or not available Two funny memories about that box. In 1992, I left it on the block-heater power post at the parking lot of the rental apartment complex, then came back from Lethbridge three days later and it was still sitting right there; thus, restoring my faith in the goodness of mankind. Two months later a bunch of degenerate teenagers broke into all of the vehicles in the parking lot; my cassettes have been stolen among other stuff reversing my newly improved faith in mankind. Never had cassettes since...
Old 03-14-2021, 08:46 PM   #56
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The top 10 at 10 was the best time to record, because you could predict when your song was coming pretty accurately.
LOL confession time.

I have vivid memories of recording that on the regular. One night a song came on that I hadn't heard of before, but I instantly connected with it. However, I didn't know the title because nobody mentioned it. I assumed like many songs, it was just the key phrase/word of the chorus that was said over and over again. I assumed the song was called "Hello".

That song was Smells Like Teen Spirit. I called it the "hello song" for a month or two before I finally learned the title. I felt lame.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2021, 06:38 AM   #57
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Yea, it's crazy to think how easily accessible music is today compared to 30 or 40 years ago. Most of the music I got into as a kid was discovered through a variety of different ways. Muchmusic, MTV, and commercial radio were obviously the three most influential sources, but a lot of stuff was also discovered through word of mouth from friends or older siblings who would make cassette copies and pass them around.

I'd get introduced to a new band, and that's where the fun began. Because then you had to go out and try and hunt down the rest of their catalogue, hitting every record shop in town in the process. Sometimes I'd buy an album just because I liked the cover art, or because I thought the band had a cool sounding name. You'd get home from the record store with a couple of new tapes or CDs and you felt like you'd been on an adventure.

Now all you have to do is pick up your phone and with a single click you have immediate access to every song ever recorded. It's wild.

I was a bit jealous of my older brother. when I got into music, it was beginning to get expensive.
He could go out to Kelly's records and just buy stuff by the album cover alone.
I remember the kelly's 99 cent stickers. heck for 99 cents for a newer release, I'd buy pretty well anything too.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
McG
Old 03-15-2021, 08:05 AM   #58
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I used to tape songs off the radio as well. The record industry hated the practice, which only made it cooler.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2021, 08:15 AM   #59
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ha! I remember taping MuchMusic on VHS when I was in class, and then coming home to tape it off of VHS onto cassette.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 08:24 AM   #60
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The top 10 at 10 was the best time to record, because you could predict when your song was coming pretty accurately.
♫♩♫ AM106 top ten at ten ♫♩♫...NUMBER ONE ONE ONE
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post: