Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-04-2012, 04:37 PM   #421
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Which winger slots in tonight with Aliu up?
Jessiman? Max Power?

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #422
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
Which winger slots in tonight with Aliu up?
Jessiman? Max Power?
I hope it's Max, it'll likely be Jessiman or PL3 though.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:50 PM   #423
Jaybird
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Rotten View Post
The more I hear Ward speak, the more I appreciate his honesty. I'm not qualified to make an "intellectually honest" judgement, but if Brent isn't rehired, I think Ward could be a good replacement, especially with a younger team. But I wonder how the veterans would appreciate his honesty?
I dont think he would be well received by NHL vets. Too much talking, talking, talking and please no more "x-wife" chatter.....not sure if anyone has heard that. I find him frustrating to listen to and have found at times that he contradicts himself. Also I am not totally convinced that the AHL guys have even bought into what he has to say.
Jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaybird For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #424
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
I dont think he would be well received by NHL vets. Too much talking, talking, talking and please no more "x-wife" chatter.....not sure if anyone has heard that. I find him frustrating to listen to and have found at times that he contradicts himself. Also I am not totally convinced that the AHL guys have even bought into what he has to say.
Okay, I'll bite. What is the "X-wife" chatter? You've obviously heard more than I have.
Johnny Rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:48 PM   #425
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Okay, I'll bite. What is the "X-wife" chatter? You've obviously heard more than I have.
It's nothing really. Ward, lately, has simply been acknowledging that the wives are very important in the player's lives (duh). Recently, he's mentioned Irving's wife for obvious reasons, Walter and Breen's wives in reference to them knowing what Irving is currently going through. Plus in his last post-game interview I think he mentioned something about taking the wives (both players' and coaches' wives) for granted - that they are so important in their lives for looking after the kids, getting them prepared for the next day, etc.

Not exactly sure what spurred that last comment, but I think that's what Jaybird is referring to.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2012, 10:35 PM   #426
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Troy also is a divorced person, so maybe that figures into it.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:45 PM   #427
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:
wranglers

Heat won 4-3 tonight in OT.

The goal scorers were:

Kolanos, (26) (Connelly, Piskula), 4:13
Sylvester, (14) (Byron, Kolanos), 0:34
Horak, (2) (Bancks, Nemisz), 9:46
Walter, (18) (Kolanos, Connelly), 2:19

I wasn't able to go to the game tonight, but from the sounds of it the vets didn't do too well in the beginning of the game. But they got over it and ended up playing a BIG role in this game - getting the game winner.

If you don't think Carter Bancks doesn't want to make the big show one day, you should check out this interview. The guy's a winner and a team player in every sense of the word:

I also encourage everyone to listen to Ward's post-game interview. Especially the part where he talks about how happy Aliu was about getting called up:

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2012, 12:14 AM   #428
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames brass seem to really like Carter Bancks. If only he could stay healthy...

Old 04-05-2012, 05:52 AM   #429
pappa jan
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
The Flames brass seem to really like Carter Bancks. If only he could stay healthy...
Last season he was second on the team in ppg with .66. This season he only has 9 points in 51 games. Has his role changed from scorer to checker?
pappa jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:30 PM   #430
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappa jan View Post
Last season he was second on the team in ppg with .66. This season he only has 9 points in 51 games. Has his role changed from scorer to checker?
Yes, it has. Last season the Heat had very little offensive depth. VERY little. So Playfair had a line of Bancks-Patterson-Nemisz together. That was basically the Heat's second line. This year, Bancks is in a third line checking/shutdown role and he's doing very well at it.

As he said in the interview, he's not overly happy with his year this year, but he's been more than willing to change his role if it means the team will win.

Gotta love a team player like that.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #431
Tilley
Retired Aksarben Correspondent

Exp:
wranglers

Very excited to get a chance to check out the Heat while in Charlotte this weekend. Disappointed that I won't get to see Aliu in person, but hopefully Irving makes the trip.

These games are crucial for locking down a playoff spot and I'm hoping that the Heat can put on a good show.
Tilley is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tilley For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2012, 02:57 PM   #432
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilley View Post
Very excited to get a chance to check out the Heat while in Charlotte this weekend. Disappointed that I won't get to see Aliu in person, but hopefully Irving makes the trip.

These games are crucial for locking down a playoff spot and I'm hoping that the Heat can put on a good show.
If you don't mind, you should pay close attention to Sylvester and tell me if you don't think he's one of the better players on team. He's really impressed me this season and lately he's been racking up the points.

I'd go as far as to say he's been the Heat's most underrated player.

Also check out Eddy if he plays because I haven't got a chance to check him out yet since he's joined the Heat.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #433
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been very impressed with Sylvester this year. I'd bet that he gets an NHL deal in the off-season.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:01 PM   #434
Jaybird
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappa jan View Post
Bancks is a great kid. I don't think his lack of points is because the team has a lot of depth. Yes he has been on a checking line more than last year but he has been given almost more opportunity than anyone on the team( 5on5, PK and PP) which reflects that the Flames like him and want to see him succeed. However it is disappointing to see the lack of points and I believe he gets that as well. I wonder what some other guys would have done with that amount of opportunity....like say Wahl or even Patterson who I think was vastly underused this year. Also I think Bancks may have been overused in some situations which I feel is a coaching mistake. He is always expending energy but he may have been better served with a few more rest breaks in a game.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:16 PM   #435
Jaybird
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry, missed a few posts. I was actually referring to Ward talking about his ex-wife a couple of times in a scenario regarding what lessons life has to give, nothing derogatory....just seemed to me to be an odd and "out of context" example for a coach to use. And yes he is divorced but I don't know I just find his "rambling on" too much....my humble opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaybird For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2012, 12:32 AM   #436
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
Sorry, missed a few posts. I was actually referring to Ward talking about his ex-wife a couple of times in a scenario regarding what lessons life has to give, nothing derogatory....just seemed to me to be an odd and "out of context" example for a coach to use. And yes he is divorced but I don't know I just find his "rambling on" too much....my humble opinion.
I don't really remember hearing anything about that. I know he sometimes references his current relationship with his new wife, but I don't remember him talking about his ex-wife at all.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:14 AM   #437
Jaybird
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
I don't really remember hearing anything about that. I know he sometimes references his current relationship with his new wife, but I don't remember him talking about his ex-wife at all.
Hmmm...pretty sure he is single now.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #438
PlayfulGenius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is Reinhart going to be suiting up for the Heat in their next game?
PlayfulGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #439
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayfulGenius View Post
Is Reinhart going to be suiting up for the Heat in their next game?
I believe a tweet last night from Reinhart indicates that he didn't travel with the team. He tweeted something about being at Castle Fun Park here in Abbotsford.

Last edited by Pierre "Monster" McGuire; 04-06-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #440
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
I believe a tweet last night from Reinhart indicates that he didn't travel with the team. He tweeted something about being at Castle Fun Park here in Abbotsford.
I know it doesn't seem like much, but moves like these are really doing nothing to help our organization attract College/Overage Free agents to come play for us.

I realize Abbotsford is in the thick of a heated playoff race, but it appears that the recently eligible players are not even getting a look for a spot.

Turner Elson - No Games Played
Max Reinhart - No Games Played
Brady Lamb - No Games Played
Joey Leach - No Games Played
David Eddy - 2 Games Played

Maybe I am making to much of a deal out of this, but when the heat are consistently icing players like Estoclet, Testwuide, Tuzzolino and Hugh Jessimen, non of which have professional contracts it makes me second guess the decision making down there.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat