Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2017, 02:43 PM   #581
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but for someone who has been out of the Nintendo "game" for a long time (since the Gamecube) would you recommend that they get the Switch or a Wii-U?
The switch is a great system with very limited software. If you are interested in playing games now I would buy a Wii U to hold you over until Christmas and play the backlog of Wii U games. By Christmas you should see a pretty large increase in Switch games.

If however you don't race through games and rarely have time to play grab a switch now play Zelda and games should trickle out at a decent pace.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2017, 02:57 PM   #582
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

My almost-two year old (who is really kicking into high gear with speaking) loves the voice work in Zelda. And I don't mean the actual voices, I mean the grunts and sounds characters make when you're talking to them outside of regular cut scenes. He mimics them perfectly and it's hilarious.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:06 PM   #583
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Do you want to spend a little money or a lot of money?
I'd like to spend a reasonable amount of money. Maybe around $300. I know the Switch is new and will have all of the games but are there games on the Wii that would make it worthwhile? The last, and only, Zelda game I played was the Orcarina of Time and I had a blast. The PS4 and Xbox don't seem to have many platform games (e.g. Jax and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank type of platformers) and it seems the Nintendo consoles do. I was just wondering if it would be better to get the Switch because there are games coming down the pipeline or if a Wii U would be better. I am not interested in any sort of portability.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:07 PM   #584
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
The switch is a great system with very limited software. If you are interested in playing games now I would buy a Wii U to hold you over until Christmas and play the backlog of Wii U games. By Christmas you should see a pretty large increase in Switch games.

If however you don't race through games and rarely have time to play grab a switch now play Zelda and games should trickle out at a decent pace.
The bold portion of your comment sounds like me. Perhaps by the time Zelda comes out maybe a new Mario game or something else will be available.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:25 PM   #585
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd get a Wii U then. So many good games for it, and you can probably pick up a bunch used for cheap.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2017, 03:34 PM   #586
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The bold portion of your comment sounds like me. Perhaps by the time Zelda comes out maybe a new Mario game or something else will be available.
I would recommend against the Wii U -- there is a larger library of games but they're already getting difficult to find as the system was never a great seller and is already out of production. The controller is gigantic and toy-like, the UI is cumbersome... it's just not that great.

If you're looking for a casual gaming system and don't mind hunting for one the Switch is a much better option.
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2017, 03:47 PM   #587
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Amazon lists over 400 games:
https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=sr_nr_n_...rnid=110218011

You can get a pro controller, which works fine if you are picky, but I never had an issue using Wii controllers or the tablet. The UI is cumbersome? Is that really an issue?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2017, 03:49 PM   #588
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

A Wii U will be cheaper, have more games immediately available to you, and has a bunch of virtual console games to tie you over as well. It's a good purchase. The launch library of the Switch is too thin to recommend right now, IMO.

Here is my list of awesome Wii U games to play (in alphabetical order):
- Bayonetta 2
- Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
- DKC Tropical Freeze
- Mario Kart 8
- Super Mario 3D World
- Super Mario Maker
- Super Smash Bros 4
- Yoshi's Wooly World
- Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- Zelda: Wind Waker HD

For downloadable games, there are quite a few indie gems on there like Shantae and Shovel Knight.

For the virtual console, there's an amazing selection of the best Nintendo games on there from the NES through to the DS and Wii (no gamecube). Apparently they're still releasing games on it because Wikipedia says Bomberman 64 is coming tomorrow? That's awesome if true, as it's a great multiplayer game with a neat single player campaign.

Here's the list of all virtual console games on the Wii U:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...(North_America)

Last edited by Mazrim; 03-08-2017 at 04:52 PM. Reason: How do I alphabet
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2017, 04:06 PM   #589
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

And what's he going to do once he's finished all those games? Now he's spent enough money to two Nintendo Switchs and still has an old system they aren't supporting any more.

It's always better (IMO) to look forward and get the newest one -- especially when the last console was a commercial failure with a short life and a limited amount of worthwhile games. If he's just planning to play casual, Zelda and eShop releases will be more than enough until some of the bigger first party games come down the pipeline.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:22 PM   #590
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

It's a shame we don't get numbers like this in North America...

Japanese physical sales from Famitsu:

Switch: 330,637

Zelda: BOTW 193,060 (1st)
1-2 Switch: 82,392 (3rd)
Super Bomberman R 39,609 (5th)
Dragon Quest heroes I + II 25,929 (7th)
Puyo Puyo Tetris 12,866 (10th)

People bitched about the cost of 1-2 Switch and how bad it is because it is just a "tech demo", but it sold extremely well in a market that received far more launch titles than we did. Horizon was 2nd with 110,000 copies, btw. WiiU BOTW was 4th at 45,000.

Oh, and 168 XBox1s sold last week.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:27 PM   #591
BananaPancakes
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I would even consider the 3DS. I play my 3DS way more than I ever did my Wii U. If you're the type of gamer who plays in short bursts, you can always close it and put it into sleep mode, and then open it to continue right where you left off.

Best thing about the 3DS is it has an even larger catalogue of games and they are generally cheaper than Wii U games. You can even dip into the DS games if you haven't played those yet too.
BananaPancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BananaPancakes For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2017, 10:50 AM   #592
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Some good info for starting out.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/9/1486...ees-gear-guide
Old 03-09-2017, 11:10 AM   #593
BananaPancakes
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I was very skeptical of the reviews, but I just beat the first big dungeon last night and all I can say is that this will probably end up being my favourite game of all time. The puzzles were challenging and the boss fight was fun and super rewarding!

The world is expansive and encourages a sense of wonder and adventure, something Majora's Mask, Windwaker, Twilight Princess never quite did for me. I haven't gotten these kind of feels since playing Ocarina of Time as a kid.

Highly recommend picking this game up when you have the chance!
BananaPancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:12 AM   #594
photon

Exp:

Ran across this while perusing tips form BotW. You can use amiibos to get items, but you can only use them once a day. The 'change-the-date' trick works but that's pretty inefficient if you're like me and only have a couple of amiibos.

Then I saw this:

http://www.n2elite.com/

Basically you can emulate up to 200 amiibos! I wonder if that would be more time efficient than grinding for rupees.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:13 AM   #595
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaPancakes View Post
I was very skeptical of the reviews, but I just beat the first big dungeon last night and all I can say is that this will probably end up being my favourite game of all time. The puzzles were challenging and the boss fight was fun and super rewarding!

The world is expansive and encourages a sense of wonder and adventure, something Majora's Mask, Windwaker, Twilight Princess never quite did for me. I haven't gotten these kind of feels since playing Ocarina of Time as a kid.

Highly recommend picking this game up when you have the chance!
Which dungeon? Zora?
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:18 AM   #596
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
And what's he going to do once he's finished all those games? Now he's spent enough money to two Nintendo Switchs and still has an old system they aren't supporting any more.

It's always better (IMO) to look forward and get the newest one -- especially when the last console was a commercial failure with a short life and a limited amount of worthwhile games. If he's just planning to play casual, Zelda and eShop releases will be more than enough until some of the bigger first party games come down the pipeline.
That would take a pretty long time...I actually agree with many posters Wii U is a better system right now, probably will be for another year or so at least.

Having both what the heck am I gonna play on switch after Zelda? Probably nothing until Mario
Old 03-09-2017, 11:48 AM   #597
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
That would take a pretty long time...I actually agree with many posters Wii U is a better system right now, probably will be for another year or so at least.

Having both what the heck am I gonna play on switch after Zelda? Probably nothing until Mario
Yeah this was my biggest concern too - but I still got lured in. Really with the PS4, XBONE, WII U, and now Switch there really isn't anything I can play on the Switch that I can't play on something else I own.

Bought Fast RMX as well which is a pretty decent F-Zero clone.

But after that & Zelda it will probably only have:
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Owned it for Wii U but traded it in for $50, which is what I paid on an E3 Pre-Order, as part of the EB Games double value deal)
  • Splatoon 2 (Never played the original)
  • Mario Odyssey (Looks great)

Then maybe Fifa or NBA 2K if they can make it be PS3 quality on the go. Although I do think if you see the adoption and hype around the system continue we will see a ton of "360/PS3" era ports/remasters coming out in the next 12 months for the system.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 03-09-2017 at 11:53 AM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 12:50 PM   #598
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Yeah this was my biggest concern too - but I still got lured in. Really with the PS4, XBONE, WII U, and now Switch there really isn't anything I can play on the Switch that I can't play on something else I own.

Bought Fast RMX as well which is a pretty decent F-Zero clone.

But after that & Zelda it will probably only have:
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Owned it for Wii U but traded it in for $50, which is what I paid on an E3 Pre-Order, as part of the EB Games double value deal)
  • Splatoon 2 (Never played the original)
  • Mario Odyssey (Looks great)

Then maybe Fifa or NBA 2K if they can make it be PS3 quality on the go. Although I do think if you see the adoption and hype around the system continue we will see a ton of "360/PS3" era ports/remasters coming out in the next 12 months for the system.

Red Dead please
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:44 PM   #599
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaPancakes View Post
I would even consider the 3DS. I play my 3DS way more than I ever did my Wii U. If you're the type of gamer who plays in short bursts, you can always close it and put it into sleep mode, and then open it to continue right where you left off.

Best thing about the 3DS is it has an even larger catalogue of games and they are generally cheaper than Wii U games. You can even dip into the DS games if you haven't played those yet too.
This is what I would have done in hindsight. Thought I'd be able to do a bit of that with the Wii U controller but the range is just terrible. Playing the Wii U while taking a wee and a two just doesn't happen.

It's mostly a dust collector though and while I'll be skipping the Switch. Don't need another Nintendo system just sitting there mostly with a handful of games.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:33 PM   #600
photon

Exp:

Anyone else that got the special or master edition of Zelda disappointed with the case? It looks cool, but it seems unnecessarily large and I'm really not a fan of the rubbery material the designs are made of. I thought it was going to be a nice fabric or something, not a cheap thick rubbery material.