Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2022, 06:49 PM   #2641
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
This might be obvious, but if you buy digital games, is there a way to transfer them after you're done playing? It seems like there isn't much of an advantage if there are physical copies available at the same prices that you can trade or sell when you're done playing them.
Nope. Digital games are non-transferable. The only advantage they have over physical copies is not having to carry them around and having no wait time before you can play them.

I'm the type who likes to go back and play old games I loved, so I never get rid of them, and digital is perfect for me. YMMV
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2022, 12:19 PM   #2642
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm tethered to a sick dog for the past last two weeks, so I've hammered through a ton of Switch games.

Finally beat Mario and Rabbids. I think this and BOTW were the first Switch games I got. Pretty fun XCOM-like game. The dialogue and scenes between battles really dragged it down for me. Deaths were meaningless, and I think I would've been more invested and focused had there been any consequences to dying or losing characters. I actually really want to play XCOM 2 again. I barely remember it, except the console version had brutal loading times. 7/10

Also completed Metroid Dread. I've been wanting a 2D Metroid games for decades - and this one delivered. My god was it hard at times, some of those puzzles were just maddening to the point of not fun. Even so, one of the best games on the Switch. 9/10

Zelda: Link's Awakening. I was stuck somewhere quite early on (i forget where exactly now) since it came out, and just put the game on the shelf. Restarted where I'd left off (5-6 hearts?) and made my way through over the last week. Not my favourite Zelda game, but the puzzles and gameplay were familiar. The story was all over the place, I have no idea what was going on. Looked amazing. 8/10

Next up Diablo III. Not sure where I left off, but depending on how far into it I was, I might just start anew.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 12:42 PM   #2643
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been replaying BotW lately. I felt a little irritated that the final boss was so easy to defeat and I hadn’t even finished the other Ganon or side missions (I inadvertently went in too far to the castle and got forced into facing off with the Calamity Ganon -kind of a nerdy gear-grinder, but the damn thing doesn’t give you an easy out except to reload an earlier save point). Anyway, I am doing all the shrines and side missions. Forget the korok seeds though. Nobody has time for that. I am kind of stuck finding the remaining shrines and shrine missions. Not sure where to look without cheating. I have 113 complete with 5 shrine missions left. So I assume that means there are 2 left that are just use the slate to pinpoint, but where to begin?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 11:23 AM   #2644
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I picked up 3D World + Bowser's Fury (it just went on it's first sale) and damn is it ever good. 3D World in handheld runs at 720p, 60fps and it looks amazing, maybe the best looking game on the platform. Bowser's Fury is really fun too, a true open world Mario is a great idea and I really hope they build off of those ideas for the next full 3D Mario.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2022, 11:55 AM   #2645
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Is it still on sale?
Old 03-07-2022, 12:19 PM   #2646
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

My wife and I enjoy the mario games where we can both play - is 3D World able to do that? The trailer said you could, but just wondering how it works in practice.
Old 03-07-2022, 12:36 PM   #2647
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes it's on sale all week, and yes it has full seamless 1-4 player co-op. It works similar to the New Super Mario Bros. games where you each select a character and work through the level together, each with full control. For my money it's by far the best realization of multiplayer Mario.

Bowser's Fury also has co-op mode but it's similar to Mario Odyssey's assist mode -- one person controls Bowser Jr. and just kind of floats around finding secrets and helping defeat enemies. So it's more like a "your little kids helping you" mode than anything.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2022, 06:38 PM   #2648
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Should be lots of Mario sales for Mario Day later this week too.
Old 03-08-2022, 08:35 AM   #2649
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Does anyone here have the OLED model? I’m looking at trading in my lite to make the upgrade. I really only play handheld so I’m not sure if it’s worth it
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 08:57 AM   #2650
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Does anyone here have the OLED model? I’m looking at trading in my lite to make the upgrade. I really only play handheld so I’m not sure if it’s worth it
If you mainly play handheld, I would suggest that the larger screen of the base model is a big upgrade already. The OLED screen upgrade on top of that would be even that much more.
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 09:00 AM   #2651
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah OLED is by far the best experience for handheld mode.

There are rumors still that another new "Switch 2" model could come out in early 2023, but if you aren't worried about that then I think the OLED is a huge improvement for anybody playing handheld.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 10:10 AM   #2652
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Yeah OLED is by far the best experience for handheld mode.

There are rumors still that another new "Switch 2" model could come out in early 2023, but if you aren't worried about that then I think the OLED is a huge improvement for anybody playing handheld.

Thank you both, I appreciate the input!

I didn’t even think of a Switch 2, I just assumed that was a long way off due to the install base Nintendo has. I’ll do a bit of research.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 10:15 AM   #2653
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
It's definitely worth it over the Lite especially - I have an OLED and my wife has a Lite, sometimes she asks for help on a game or I download something for her and I can't believe how small and less vibrant/clear it is. Night and day improvement.
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
bax
Old 03-08-2022, 11:17 AM   #2654
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you have a lite your only option is handheld mode... upgrade, for multiple reasons. It will be better in handheld plus you at least have the option of using a tv, multi player, motion controls, ect.

An OG switch is a big upgrade, OLED is just that much more
Old 03-08-2022, 11:58 AM   #2655
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who knows what Nintendo will do with their "upgrade" schedule. They often just march to their own beat.

I wouldn't be surprised if they try some wild variation like an OLED Switch dual screen. I'm mostly kidding but who the hell knows.
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 02:37 PM   #2656
CactusJack
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Just a quick question from somebody who hasn’t played NES since the 80’s… We just bought an OLED last week and started setting it up last night, if I buy an individual online membership can both my wife and I play the same original NES games and each have our own save files under our own profiles? Or will I have to buy the family membership for that to work? Thanks in advance!
CactusJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 09:27 AM   #2657
sumdood
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CactusJack View Post
Just a quick question from somebody who hasn’t played NES since the 80’s… We just bought an OLED last week and started setting it up last night, if I buy an individual online membership can both my wife and I play the same original NES games and each have our own save files under our own profiles? Or will I have to buy the family membership for that to work? Thanks in advance!
Individual Nintendo Online membership can only be linked to one profile on the Switch. Only the family membership can link multiple Switch profiles to the online service.
sumdood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sumdood For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2022, 01:28 PM   #2658
CactusJack
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumdood View Post
Individual Nintendo Online membership can only be linked to one profile on the Switch. Only the family membership can link multiple Switch profiles to the online service.
Thanks, that’s what I thought but I couldn’t wait to start playing so I bought the family membership last night anyways. Already made it halfway through the original Super Mario Bros. during intermissions last night!
CactusJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 01:47 PM   #2659
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CactusJack View Post
Thanks, that’s what I thought but I couldn’t wait to start playing so I bought the family membership last night anyways. Already made it halfway through the original Super Mario Bros. during intermissions last night!
With the family membership you get up to 8 people. I'm sure that there's some fine print about what constitutes a "family", but my cousin's kids in England are close enough in my books, and it works for them just fine. Just sayin'.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2022, 02:48 PM   #2660
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Well, this sucks.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1501558646320377860
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote