Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2012, 10:53 AM   #221
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

from what I gather, guude (was it guude?) created a 125x125 chunk map, which translates to roughly 2000 sq. What I think would work for us (with 6-8 people) would be a 75x75 chunk of map (about 1200 sq). I think this will work better for us and gives us a better chance of encounters.

I also agree with ma-skis.com about giving a head start. Instead of 10 mins, I think we can do a 1 day and night cycle, and as soon as morning comes we go to battle.
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #222
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That WorldPainter allows you to do things like fine tune spawn frequency and height of various ores. I dunno if there's any interest in tweaking gold to make it slightly less luck based whether or not you get some.
Aegypticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #223
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe a slight increase. We don't want it to make sense to hide in a hole until you have a dozen apples or anything.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:03 PM   #224
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyCallMeBruce View Post
from what I gather, guude (was it guude?) created a 125x125 chunk map, which translates to roughly 2000 sq. What I think would work for us (with 6-8 people) would be a 75x75 chunk of map (about 1200 sq). I think this will work better for us and gives us a better chance of encounters.

I also agree with ma-skis.com about giving a head start. Instead of 10 mins, I think we can do a 1 day and night cycle, and as soon as morning comes we go to battle.
Sounds reasonable. Working out an endgame in the event there are 2 or 3 players left who can't find each other would also be good. Forcing an encounter at 0,0 like they did on Mindcrack is okay except that one player will be able to set up quicker and have an advantage. Also, it seemed that the player with the most arrows wins in that situation. Not sure I have a better idea though.
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #225
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have no problem with a 75x75 map, I'll give WorldPainter a go tonight. As far as meeting up at the end there will be a Ventrilo (voice communication) server as well so that will be easy to arrange by whoever is left.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:26 PM   #226
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think if we make it small enough, and perhaps add some additional rules that come into play when you are down to 2 players we can make it work without having a prearranged meet.

Maybe like you can't go underground or hide at night, need to place torches where ever you go on the surface, kind of a bread crumbs thing so at least you know if you are close. Or do it like the NHL: Give people a certain time to win by themselves, and then winner take all shootout in an arena or town located on another world - generated by MACE. Actually, come to think of it, that might be a really cool variant to try at another date- like "Urban Combat" Minecraft.

Last edited by Rathji; 04-03-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:27 PM   #227
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

By default, iron is approximately 6 times as common as gold. If you simply raise the max spawn height of gold from 31 to 63 to match iron it will be only about 3 times as rare as iron and can be found without digging way, way down. Seems like it could be a good thing to me, but I understand if people prefer to play without this kind of change.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #228
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't know, there's something to be said for making it difficult to make golden apples.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #229
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Difficult is fine, but how many golden apples were 8 very experienced players able to craft in their entire season? 3? I would have found it more exciting if there was more back and forth action, getting injured and recovering.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #230
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wow, WorldPainter is so much easier to use for this kind of thing, hopefully don't run into any issues but so far so good.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:26 PM   #231
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well it's a good start, much better than MCEdit, I bumped gold up to the iron level that was suggested and I think I got the amount of caves to a reasonable level. WorldPainter has a different measurement system so I ended up making it 1152x1152 (or 9x9 in Worldpainter)

My only concern's are that it feels very "generated" if that makes any sense, like it isn't random at all. You miss out on those weird outcroppings and things that Mincraft generates on it's on, although you can create mountains so that helps some. Also the world edge is a sheer drop off to water, it's very absolute, maybe there's a setting to improve that.

I'll do some more playing around tomorrow and see what happens.

Last edited by Hanni; 04-03-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:35 PM   #232
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I am not suggesting it for this upcoming match, but I'd love to someday try even more of a Hunger Games-style match. 20ish people all starting in close proximity to each other and a pile of items. You'd have to choose between fleeing immediately or risking a quick death for an early advantage. You could even have "gamemakers" overseeing the game and creating hazards to deter too much hiding.

For our game, I think that if we're all recording our perspectives there is a strong peer pressure aspect that should discourage people from doing lame stuff that will be viewed negatively by CPers later. For those of you that make game videos, is Fraps pretty much the only choice? The other (cheap/free) ones I've tried don't seem very good in my very limited messing around.
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:08 PM   #233
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
Well it's a good start, much better than MCEdit, I bumped gold up to the iron level that was suggested and I think I got the amount of caves to a reasonable level. WorldPainter has a different measurement system so I ended up making it 1152x1152 (or 9x9 in Worldpainter)

My only concern's are that it feels very "generated" if that makes any sense, like it isn't random at all. You miss out on those weird outcroppings and things that Mincraft generates on it's on, although you can create mountains so that helps some. Also the world edge is a sheer drop off to water, it's very absolute, maybe there's a setting to improve that.

I'll do some more playing around tomorrow and see what happens.
Are you generating a world with minecraft and then editting it? or creating the world from scratch?
Old 04-03-2012, 11:09 PM   #234
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
I am not suggesting it for this upcoming match, but I'd love to someday try even more of a Hunger Games-style match. 20ish people all starting in close proximity to each other and a pile of items. You'd have to choose between fleeing immediately or risking a quick death for an early advantage. You could even have "gamemakers" overseeing the game and creating hazards to deter too much hiding.

For our game, I think that if we're all recording our perspectives there is a strong peer pressure aspect that should discourage people from doing lame stuff that will be viewed negatively by CPers later. For those of you that make game videos, is Fraps pretty much the only choice? The other (cheap/free) ones I've tried don't seem very good in my very limited messing around.
I use Microsoft Expression, as I have a copy through school. No idea what it costs Retail but i am sure it is more than Fraps would be.

Yes, the other options suck.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:24 AM   #235
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I bumped gold up to the iron level that was suggested.
I appreciate this, I just hope that it's something other people agree with. I have no problem playing it without this change and I definitely don't want to be that guy that pushed something like that through when other people didn't agree. I just think it will make things a little more interesting if there's a good chance that everyone gets to heal at least once. God knows it's only a couple hearts.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:20 AM   #236
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Are you generating a world with minecraft and then editting it? or creating the world from scratch?
I generated the world with WorldPainter, I'm not sure if you can make changes to mineral deposit levels etc with an already created world? I'll play around some more with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegypticus View Post
I appreciate this, I just hope that it's something other people agree with. I have no problem playing it without this change and I definitely don't want to be that guy that pushed something like that through when other people didn't agree. I just think it will make things a little more interesting if there's a good chance that everyone gets to heal at least once. God knows it's only a couple hearts.
The more I think about it the more it makes sense, you're right it is only a couple hearts, if a golden apple healed all your health it would be different.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:47 AM   #237
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I generated the world with WorldPainter, I'm not sure if you can make changes to mineral deposit levels etc with an already created world? I'll play around some more with it.

The more I think about it the more it makes sense, you're right it is only a couple hearts, if a golden apple healed all your health it would be different.
Use Pheonix:
http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/wge...gs-1060.28520/

Requires you to set up a bukkit server, or I could just install it and create a world and send to you.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:45 AM   #238
Slacker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
I think if we make it small enough, and perhaps add some additional rules that come into play when you are down to 2 players we can make it work without having a prearranged meet.

Maybe like you can't go underground or hide at night, need to place torches where ever you go on the surface, kind of a bread crumbs thing so at least you know if you are close. Or do it like the NHL: Give people a certain time to win by themselves, and then winner take all shootout in an arena or town located on another world - generated by MACE. Actually, come to think of it, that might be a really cool variant to try at another date- like "Urban Combat" Minecraft.

I would love to play on a maze like world!
Slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:19 PM   #239
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Alright I ended up with about 1500x1500 due to render distance and flying the whole thing, the bonus is that it's all Minecraft rendered so it looks right with a wide variety of biomes. It also allowed me to bump up the gold and create a world edge. So I think we are good to go with the map.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hanni For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #240
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

well done! Appreciate your time and effort, and sincerely hope I'm not the first to die.
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote