Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2017, 08:15 PM   #61
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignite09 View Post
Starting to worry about his RFA contract with arbitration rights coming up. Hard to figure right now what he's actually worth.
I wouldn't be overly worried
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:17 PM   #62
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

The best part about Ferland fitting into the top line is that it makes the other two lines (not counting the already stellar 3M line) WAY more solid. Chiasson/Stajan/Bouma ensures Chiasson is on the 4th line and Versteeg/Bennett/Brouwer gives Sam guidance while reuniting the wingers who have good chemistry. Hopefully Ferland can keep it up with Sheanny Mondreau!!
drewtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:19 PM   #63
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignite09 View Post
Starting to worry about his RFA contract with arbitration rights coming up. Hard to figure right now what he's actually worth.
A troubled young man who was demoted from the AHL, then sent back from the ECHL to Junior (and then traded by his Junior club) found his way back to the NHL and is now finding a degree of NHL success?

More power to him.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2017, 08:21 PM   #64
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
A troubled young man who was demoted from the AHL, then sent back from the ECHL to Junior (and then traded by his Junior club) found his way back to the NHL and is now finding a degree of NHL success?

More power to him.
Pretty sure that's a more compelling movie script than "a couple guys got John Scott voted into the All Star Game"
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2017, 08:22 PM   #65
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Ferland is starting to look like the 47 goal scorer he was with the Wheat Kings. Hope he keeps it up.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cannon7 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2017, 08:34 PM   #66
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is definitely not a reach to think that Ferland can be a 20 goal scorer in this league. Maybe even more. He has all the tools you ever want in a power forward. Some guys just take longer to develop and have it 'click' for them. I hope Ferland keeps clicking, because if he does he is a huge cog for this team moving forward.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2017, 08:43 PM   #67
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I was feeling a little worried management may not see Ferly in the same way I know a lot of us do. Specifically in terms of deserving expansion protection as the #7 forward.

His promotion and success on the 1st line I think solidifies his importance and potential going forward. He's an incredibly unique player, especially on this team. I have high hopes Tuulola might be a similar player long-term. Wouldn't that be great?
Tuulola being another Ferland would be great, but he has a long way to go. He's not exactly lighting up the WHL at the moment.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:44 PM   #68
Hammertime
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Ferly went bardownskis. Such a beauty. Registered beautician.

Last edited by Hammertime; 02-26-2017 at 11:58 PM.
Hammertime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Hammertime For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2017, 09:11 PM   #69
SOMBRI2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Great story by itself. Ferland needs to take advantage of this for career advancement. We still need to see a consistent performance out of him. The top line could be deadly.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
SOMBRI2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:26 PM   #70
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Scoring is great but what I like most about Ferland on the top line is he'll knock the head off anyone who dares to take liberty's on Gaudreau.
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2017, 09:28 PM   #71
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty much forcing his way into the 7th forward protection slot.

Gaudreau
Monahan
Bennett
Frolik
Backlund
Brouwer
Ferland
Old 02-27-2017, 12:17 AM   #72
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

His story is amazing, he is in a great situation right now and he seems to be ready for it. We all know he can hit like a Mack truck which is an awesome tool to have but when he focuses on playing a more skilled game you can really see the potential. There's a reason why the Flames have been so patient with him, it's because players with the raw tools he has don't grow on trees. Could be the start of something special for him.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:25 AM   #73
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
Pretty much forcing his way into the 7th forward protection slot.

Gaudreau
Monahan
Bennett
Frolik
Backlund
Brouwer
Ferland
I don't think Brouwer should be on there. Could be a good way to get out of that contract which is looking like a mistake. I think you're better off protecting a young guy with potential like Shinkaruk, who I think is eligible if I read the rules right, and hoping Brouwer gets picked so you gain the cap space back. I really hope they expose Brouwer, I do think he would be picked. His contract isn't great but it's not terribly long and there isn't going to be any good forwards to pick from.

Ferland for sure has gotta be protected though, even before his good play this month. I believe he will be a 25/15 type player, the type of guy we were hoping Brouwer was going to be.

Last edited by jonkaupp; 02-27-2017 at 12:32 AM.
jonkaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jonkaupp For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2017, 12:46 AM   #74
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Doubt a franchise would expose a recently signed UFA for the same reason they don't get traded within a year of signing.

It reflects poorly on the franchise IMO. Future free agents would have a negative view of Calgary as a result if they think the team is one to give up on them so quickly.

I could be wrong, but I really don't see it happening.

Last edited by AC; 02-27-2017 at 01:03 AM.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2017, 12:57 AM   #75
CASe333
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkaupp View Post
I don't think Brouwer should be on there. Could be a good way to get out of that contract which is looking like a mistake.....
I agree with most of your post regarding Ferland but can't fathom who you would protect over Brouwer at this point. He has been pretty much solid this year albeit a bit of a let down in points but not someone I would be hoping to get rid of for nothing.

Plus what AC said above
CASe333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:28 AM   #76
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASe333 View Post
I ... can't fathom who you would protect over Brouwer at this point.
Matt Stajan has been probably our sixth or seventh best forward this year. Why would anyone protect our 12th or 13th best forward over Stajan? Not like there's a huge age difference.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:31 AM   #77
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Matt Stajan has been probably our sixth or seventh best forward this year. Why would anyone protect our 12th or 13th best forward over Stajan? Not like there's a huge age difference.
Stajan is great but his contract is not a fourth liner contract. He doesn't need to be protected - he won't be taken.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2017, 08:33 AM   #78
Jaydee
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkaupp View Post
I don't think Brouwer should be on there. Could be a good way to get out of that contract which is looking like a mistake. I think you're better off protecting a young guy with potential like Shinkaruk, who I think is eligible if I read the rules right, and hoping Brouwer gets picked so you gain the cap space back. I really hope they expose Brouwer, I do think he would be picked. His contract isn't great but it's not terribly long and there isn't going to be any good forwards to pick from.

Ferland for sure has gotta be protected though, even before his good play this month. I believe he will be a 25/15 type player, the type of guy we were hoping Brouwer was going to be.
Expose Brouwer. Hopefully he gets picked up and then we put some of the money saved towards resigning backlund
Jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:34 AM   #79
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Doubt a franchise would expose a recently signed UFA for the same reason they don't get traded within a year of signing.

It reflects poorly on the franchise IMO. Future free agents would have a negative view of Calgary as a result if they think the team is one to give up on them so quickly.

I could be wrong, but I really don't see it happening.
Except an expansion draft is really an extraneous type of event, once in a blue moon thing. So I doubt that agents or players would really hold it against a club that lost a recently signed UFA in an expansion draft.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gaudfather For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2017, 08:34 AM   #80
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Stajan is great but his contract is not a fourth liner contract. He doesn't need to be protected - he won't be taken.
A third-line center (Stajan) at 3.25M who a plays fourth line role is worth more to protect than a fourth line RW (Brouwer) at 4.5M who plays a third line role.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post: