Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2017, 04:27 PM   #361
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
If that happens, I can't wait to see what they do for the Ewoks in the third movie.
They accelerated the Ewok equivalent into this movie:

OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2017, 08:08 PM   #362
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

New "International" trailer...

Not much new footage. Mostly just edited differently than the previous one.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:13 PM   #363
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Luke on the Falcon!

Old 11-01-2017, 09:50 PM   #364
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Six more weeks aaaaaugh
Old 11-01-2017, 09:52 PM   #365
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

They're really hinting at Luke or Ray being a villain in this, it could be clever editing, but I'm still thinking that Rey is a character from the past, and she awakens in this movie.

The twist

Spoiler!

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2017, 12:17 AM   #366
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
They're really hinting at Luke or Ray being a villain in this, it could be clever editing, but I'm still thinking that Rey is a character from the past, and she awakens in this movie.

The twist

Spoiler!
Fulfill your destiny and rule the Galaxy together.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:58 AM   #367
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Oh man this is torture.

Dec 15th can't come soon enough
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:08 AM   #368
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

That last trailer is exciting for this normally luke-warm (see what I did there?) Star Wars fan. It could have never been planned in 1977, but Luke has transformed from a somewhat whiny kid jedi to a wise, old, powerful hermit jedi. Hamill's presence in those trailers is immense. I can't wait to see this movie.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:38 AM   #369
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think that Wise and old is great, we don't know how powerful he is in the grand scheme of things, and realistically how trained he is, he really had no one to guide him.

The argument is that while Luke was powerful by the time he hit Return of the Jedi, compared to the Jedi of the OT he was not really trained all that well, and that's why he was so heavily tempted to fall to the dark side in ROTJ.

And maybe he's vulnerable now . . . seeing all of your jedi students murdered, having a possibly incredibly powerful threat show up.

That would first of all scare the crap out of him, his anger at himself over the loss of his academy

Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate (he might hate Snoke for turning his nephew), hate leads to suffering.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:45 AM   #370
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if Snoke pretended to have been a Jedi in hiding, gained Luke's trust, and began trying to corrupt the students.

I guess though that the Force ghosts of Anakin/Obi-Wan/Yoda would have warned Luke, unless they figured their jobs were done and wandered off into the Jedi afterlife.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:18 PM   #371
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm super excited!

Only 6 weeks to go. It isn't that long. IT'S A FREAKING ETERNITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope I don't die of old age before I get to see it.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:52 PM   #372
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I wonder if Snoke pretended to have been a Jedi in hiding, gained Luke's trust, and began trying to corrupt the students.

I guess though that the Force ghosts of Anakin/Obi-Wan/Yoda would have warned Luke, unless they figured their jobs were done and wandered off into the Jedi afterlife.
I'm going to go circular for a moment but trust me it goes back to Snoke eventually.

First of all, I really wish that they had let Drew Karysyn and James Lucerno continue with the book paths and kept the Darth Bane series and Darth Plagueis books in modern canon.

Out of all of the Star Wars writers those two guys had such a firm handle on force lore and the Jedi and Sith. lore.

When you look at the relationship of master and apprentice in the Bane books, Bane philosopy was that there were always two no more, no less and a master and a apprentice one to embody power and one to crave it.

So in the bane series, Bane trained Zannah but a lot of her training was self discovery because Bane didn't want to teach her everything because she would use his knowledge against him. Instead she was encouraged to find her own knowledge and she became adept in Sith Sorcery and Bane didn't really have that kind of abilty and she tried to use it, but Bane continued to teach and grow himself and used power that he didn't share with her to kill her and take on a new apprentice.

So a thousand years leter, Plageuis kills his master and takes on Palpatine and redefines the rule of two as a partner ship where the Master and Apprentice rule in concert and they take advantage of the diverse skill sets.

Plageuis was very strong in the force world. He could influence the Force to do his bidding, he could bring people back to life, heal injuries, he ripped a hole in the force to allow the Dark Side to grow and cloud the Jedi's abilities to use the force.

On the other side, Palpatines powers were more rooted in the real world. while both could hide from the Jedi in the Force, Palpatine was a ghost to the Jedi, he had the peerless power to see through the force to the future, and he was incredibly strong in the marital arts, throwing lightning, using his lightsaber etc.

But the partnership was predicated on Sidious' normal skills. His political saavy, his charisma and ability to manipulate and guide and make people want to please him. His strategic abilty.

Plagueis plan was for Palpatine to be the Supreme Chancellor, and Plageuis would rule behind him.

The problem was that Palpatine craved personal power, and he saw no profit in the above scenario he was a true Bannite Sith and Plagueis was not. So in the end Sidious killed him and took all the power.

I've always said when Sidious and Vader died that it ended the Sith order, and that Snoke is no Sith, there's no rule of two.

I've also said that what Solo said to his son is true. That Snoke needs a powerful Force user because he might have force powers but he's not the embodiment of power. That's why Kylo is so sloppy with the force, because Snoke doesn't have a lot to teach him, but he's there to encourage Kylo to use the powers he knew before but to become more powerful with his anger, and hate and envy.

Because of that, my gut is that Snoke wasn't a jedi or didn't pose as a Jedi, again Leia alluded to it with the whole letting Kylo seduce their son.

My bet is that Snoke posed as a family friend because he knew that Solo and Leia would have a powerful force sensitive child. Maybe he was a senator or an advisor to Leia, or pretended to be Hans friend and a god father to the child.

But I'm betting he didn't seduce Kylo by showing him power, like throwing lightning, he seduced a child by telling him stories about Vader and how he was a good but misguided man who sought only to bring peace and justice to the Galaxy. Then he used the palpatine style seduction line. Palpatine promised Anakin the ability to save his wife if they both worked together. what if Snoke promised Kyle that he could bring peace and justice to the galaxy and destroy the First Order once and for all if he became like Vader, and Snoke could teach him what he needed to know.

Then once Kylo was seduced Snoke said that Kylo had to prove himself first and discover his rage and hate and then Snoke would teach him what he knew.

The big lie, if we work together I can promise you power.

Then Rey shows up with her instintive powers and Snoke goes wow she's more powerful then Ren and more suitable to be my powerful Sith using enforcer, and goes to seduce her. Kyle in a fit of rage kills Snoke and realizes that his whole life is a lie and that Snoke was a liar.

This leads to Kylo either wanting to continue down the path he's on or take a step back.

If he continues down his path, he promises Rey that he will complete her training.

If he redeems he offers a seduced Rey a chance to renounce the Darkside.

So where's Luke in this all. He's grown to hate the Jedi and the Force, its been the cause of nothing but misery in his life. First his father is a mass murderer, then the Dark Side mass murders his "family" The jedi trainees and Han Solo. Then he see's two powerful force users in Rey and Kylo and says, this force thing has to end, I need to end the Jedi because without the Jedi there can be no conflict within the force, and he needs to kill Kylo and if Snoke is still alive Snoke. Then end his own existence.

And because he hates what the forces has done to the galaxy and he hates himself for failing everyone around him, he goes dark.

I'm not convinced that Snoke is anything but a sacrifice to Rey or Kylo and that the big bad in this series is still being defined. while Disney normal logic says your not going to turn the plucky cute, ready for action figure heroine, and your going to make the already dark Ren the big bad, the better story is with Rey being the surprise twist, and Kylo being the hero, and Luke being the minor evil that they both have to deal with and Luke becomes both of their paths to redemption in the end.

Old 11-02-2017, 05:04 PM   #373
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Holy snap Crunch, that's longer than the actual script!
Old 11-02-2017, 10:33 PM   #374
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

If there's an Anakin force ghost and it's Hayden Christensen I'll be pretty unhappy.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:14 AM   #375
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Force ghost Hayden Christensen with the voice of James Earl Jones. Everyone is happy.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:20 AM   #376
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I'm pretty comfortable in saying that I have a better chance at a cameo in this movie as a force ghost than Hayden Christensen does.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:36 AM   #377
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah, I agree, Hayden is pretty much not doing anything anymore except for Indy stuff. He pretty much left Hollywood and moved back to Ontario.

You know when they announced that they cast him as Anakin I was pumped I thought he was a good choice. But George's dialogue writing just crushes actors. And I wished they'd followed the dialogue choices from the Revenge of the Sith novel where they really stretched out the seduction scene between Palpatine and Anakin, it was really well done.

they also had these amazing little quotes at the start of the chapter about the Dark and the Light.

Quote:
“The dark is generous. Its first gift is concealment: our true faces lie in the dark beneath our skins, our true hearts remain shadowed deeper still. But the greatest concealment lies not in protecting our secret truths, but in hiding from us the truths of others. The dark protects us from what we dare not know.”
Quote:
“The dark is generous, and it is patient. It is the dark that seeds cruelty into justice, that drips contempt into compassion, that poisons love with grains of doubt. The dark can be patient, because the slightest drop of rain will cause those seeds to sprout. The rain will come, and the seeds will sprout, for the dark is the soil in which they grow, and it is the clouds above them, and it waits behind the star that gives them light. The dark’s patience is infinite. Eventually, even stars burn out.”
Quote:
“The dark is generous and it is patient and it always wins – but in the heart of its strength lies its weakness: one lone candle is enough to hold it back.
Love is more than a candle.
Love can ignite the stars.”
The exert after Anakin wakes up as Darth Vader was so well written and explains so much. This is a bit long, but if the movie had been written to convey a lot of "This is how it feels to be" exerts in the book the movie would have been way more impactful

Quote:
his is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker, forever:

The first dawn of light in your universe brings pain.

The light burns you. It will always burn you. Part of you will always lie upon black glass sand beside a lake of fire while flames chew upon your flesh.

You can hear yourself breathing. It comes hard, and harsh, and it scrapes nerves already raw, but you cannot stop it. You can never stop it. You cannot even slow it down.

You don't even have lungs anymore.

Mechanisms hardwired into your chest breathe for you. They will pump oxygen into your bloodstream forever.

Lord Vader? Lord Vader, can you hear me?

And you can't, not in the way you once did. Sensors in the shell that prisons your head trickle meaning directly into your brain.

You open your scorched-pale eyes; optical sensors integrate light and shadow into a hideous simulacrum of the world around you.

Or perhaps the simulacrum is perfect, and it is the world that is hideous.

Padme? Are you here? Are you all right? you try to say, but another voice speaks for you, out from the vocabulator that serves you for burned-away lips and tongue and throat.

"Padme? Are you here? Are you all right?"

I'm very sorry, Lord Vader. I'm afraid she died. It seems in your anger, you killed her.

This burns hotter than the lava had.

"No . . . no, it is not possible!

You loved her. You will always love her. You could never will her death.
Never.

But you remember . . .

You remember all of it.

You remember the dragon that you brought Vader forth from your heart to slay. You remember the cold venom in Vader's blood. You remember the furnace of Vader's fury, and the black hatred of seizing her throat to silence her lying mouth—

And there is one blazing moment in which you finally understand that there was no dragon. That there was no Vader. That there was only you. Only Anakin Skywalker.

That it was all you. Is you.

Only you.

You did it.

You killed her.

You killed her because, finally, when you could have saved her, when you could have gone away with her, when you could have been thinking about her, you were thinking about yourself. . .

It is in this blazing moment that you finally understand the trap of the dark side, the final cruelty of the Sith—

Because now your self is all you will ever have.

And you rage and scream and reach through the Force to crush the shadow who has destroyed you, but you are so far less now than what you were, you are more than half machine, you are like a painter gone blind, a composer gone deaf, you can remember where the power was but the power you can touch is only a memory, and so with all your world-destroying fury it is only droids around you that implode, and equipment, and the table on which you were strapped shatters, and in the end, you cannot touch the shadow.

In the end, you do not even want to.

In the end, the shadow is all you have left.

Because the shadow understands you, the shadow forgives you, the shadow gathers you unto itself—

And within your furnace heart, you burn in your own flame.

This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker.

Forever. . .

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2017, 09:40 AM   #378
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

So... yet again no non-3D options for the movie in Calgary?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:42 AM   #379
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Landmark has a ton of shows in non-3D. They even have non 3D imax.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:44 AM   #380
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Force ghost Jake Lloyd with the voice of James Earl Jones make sense then.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote