Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 03-28-2015, 08:23 AM   #1
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:
Default School board demands that special needs student removes varsity letter.

Haven't people got better things to do with their time than this?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highsc...162953378.html

Last edited by ricosuave; 03-28-2015 at 08:26 AM.
ricosuave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:04 AM   #2
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

They should also ban him from the sock hop.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2015, 09:25 AM   #3
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Absolutely Pathetic. I have 5 Varsity letters for the parent(s) and principal that, when put together, rhyme with hunts
#22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to #22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2015, 10:21 AM   #4
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pathetic morons, both the parents requesting this and the school officials supporting the request. The smartest thing to do for a Principal was to respond to the demand by saying "you are free to find another school".
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2015, 10:26 AM   #5
Mathalete
Backup Goalie

Exp:

This makes me embarrassed to work at a school. What a disgrace.
Mathalete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mathalete For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2015, 10:30 AM   #6
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope next they ban girlfriends/boyfriends of athletes who have letter jackets from wearing them, even briefly, as they obviously aren't playing at the varsity level either and don't deserve to wear them.

This is ridiculous. The student is participating in sports as a representative of the school. Perhaps his level isn't "varsity" but he's participating at the highest level he can. He's more deserving of a jacket then the kid whose on the football team that is varsity and maybe plays a minute of the game or just sits on the bench all game.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2015, 10:36 AM   #7
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

when i see a headline like this my first thought is:

please don't let this be from Canada or if it is in Canada, please don't let it be in Alberta.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:36 AM   #8
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some people really need a hobby.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:00 AM   #9
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

High school.... super cereal man!

Honestly, I never thought there was anything meaningful behind varsity jackets and letters other than someone buying them. I am pretty sure where I went to high school, anyone could buy one as a way to raise money.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:01 AM   #10
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't believe varsity letters are still a thing. Thought that died in the 60s along with drive in diners.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2015, 11:38 AM   #11
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Some people really need a hobby.
Some people just need a punch in the nose.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2015, 11:39 AM   #12
Codes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

As a human being, I am embarrassed.

That jacket is probably an immense source of pride and self esteem for Michael, and to have some jerk parents take that away from him is almost inhuman.

Last edited by Codes; 03-28-2015 at 11:42 AM.
Codes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Codes For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2015, 12:14 AM   #13
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Devil's Advocate: The Varsity Letter is an award given for specific achievements, in this case playing on the Varsity basketball team. The student in question did not accomplish those achievements, therefore they should not be given the award.

People with special needs should be given accommodations and adaptations in order for certain aspects of life to be made equitable. Ramps should be installed so people with mobility problems can access services and businesses. Students with learning and developmental disabilities should be given more time to complete assignments and tests, or provided with alternate means of demonstrating their ability. This does not mean that all things need to be made "fair". People with mobility difficulties should not be paramedics, people with developmental difficulties should probably not become neurosurgeons.

If the school's policy is to only hand out Varsity letters to members of the Varsity team, making an accommodation for the particular disability of Down syndrome does not seem equitable. Why does that disability merit this type of special attention, but let's say there is a person who suffers from dwarfism who attends the school, should they also be given the award?

It's totally reasonable to argue that the school should alter its policies around awarding Varsity letters, but I see no reason why, as the policy currently is, an exception should be made in this specific case.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:29 AM   #14
HarryH93
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
Devil's Advocate: The Varsity Letter is an award given for specific achievements, in this case playing on the Varsity basketball team. The student in question did not accomplish those achievements, therefore they should not be given the award.

People with special needs should be given accommodations and adaptations in order for certain aspects of life to be made equitable. Ramps should be installed so people with mobility problems can access services and businesses. Students with learning and developmental disabilities should be given more time to complete assignments and tests, or provided with alternate means of demonstrating their ability. This does not mean that all things need to be made "fair". People with mobility difficulties should not be paramedics, people with developmental difficulties should probably not become neurosurgeons.

If the school's policy is to only hand out Varsity letters to members of the Varsity team, making an accommodation for the particular disability of Down syndrome does not seem equitable. Why does that disability merit this type of special attention, but let's say there is a person who suffers from dwarfism who attends the school, should they also be given the award?

It's totally reasonable to argue that the school should alter its policies around awarding Varsity letters, but I see no reason why, as the policy currently is, an exception should be made in this specific case.
Regardless whether someone believes that the Varsity letters should be exclusive to members of a Varsity team, the fact that someone's parent(s) went out of their way to complain about a kid with a Varsity jacket is tasteless.

I get the feeling that the person/people who complained felt embarrassed to have a kid with a disorder representing the Varsity team, which is despicable. Shame on them.
HarryH93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:49 AM   #15
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's a letter of the alphabet. Will she protest Seasame Street if they include that letter on the show.."Big Bird didn't earn that!" People like this remind me of Al Bundy, bragging about 4 touchdowns in one game for Polk High, and no one else gives a crap because it doesn't matter. Let him have his jacket.
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roast Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2015, 12:58 AM   #16
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

This is a chance for the students to shine. I have confidence, we will be reading about the students and Varsity athletes at the school supporting him in wearing the jacket. Young people nowadays are more inclusive and more socially aware than ever before.

This will sort itself out.

And to the parent that complained, and the school staff that supported it? You should be frikkin ashamed of yourselves.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2015, 07:02 AM   #17
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post

It was just for fun.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:16 AM   #18
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryH93 View Post
Regardless whether someone believes that the Varsity letters should be exclusive to members of a Varsity team, the fact that someone's parent(s) went out of their way to complain about a kid with a Varsity jacket is tasteless.

I get the feeling that the person/people who complained felt embarrassed to have a kid with a disorder representing the Varsity team, which is despicable. Shame on them.
Earning a varsity letter requires a specific set of circumstances, a parent deciding on their own that their kid deserves one arbitrarily is wrong. If you're going to say that someone should get a letter just for being involved in a sport at the school, you might as well stick them on the honor roll too just for taking a course there.

I'm all for giving those with a disability accommodations to ensure they receive equitable treatment, but buying you own bootleg varsity letter isn't in this category. If this was a case of some random kids being forced to remove varsity jackets they had bought it would not have made the news, the only reason it did is the person is disabled.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:37 AM   #19
HarryH93
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
Earning a varsity letter requires a specific set of circumstances, a parent deciding on their own that their kid deserves one arbitrarily is wrong. If you're going to say that someone should get a letter just for being involved in a sport at the school, you might as well stick them on the honor roll too just for taking a course there.

I'm all for giving those with a disability accommodations to ensure they receive equitable treatment, but buying you own bootleg varsity letter isn't in this category. If this was a case of some random kids being forced to remove varsity jackets they had bought it would not have made the news, the only reason it did is the person is disabled.
It was a letter on a jacket, big freaking deal.

Schools should focus on something a little more, y'know, education-related rather than a letter on a kids jacket. Losers.
HarryH93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HarryH93 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2015, 11:51 AM   #20
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post

Agreed. I also think the LA Kings should take immediate steps to remove Chris Sutter from any and all practices, team events and the dressing room. After all the dressing room is for team members only or the media when warranted. It also cheapened the sanctity of the game when he helped coach the All Star game.

Good lord

There are times when being a good human being trumps any sort of tradition, no matter how big or small.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote