Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2015, 01:54 PM   #1
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Patio Heaters: What Should I Buy?

Note: I thought about starting this as a general patio thread sort of like the Barbecue thread; if people think that's a good idea then maybe we can just re-name this.

It's starting to warm up, and while it's not patio season yet (probably a couple more snowfalls to come) I'm starting to think about the stuff I want to add to my patio this year.

The main thing I want is the ability to keep the area warm enough that people are comfortable for longer. Not just in terms of later into the evening, but extending the useful life of the patio. So, I want to buy a couple of patio heaters.

Just for context, here's my personal situation: I have a large deck with a nice view, but the tradeoff is, it's up high and unsheltered, so it can get quite windy. This isn't a big deal in late july, but it makes it less useful in mid-May. Combined with its size (about 500 square feet), it's a challenge to warm. I have no natural gas line. I have two fire tables that are propane-fueled.

So I'm hoping there are a few people who have some experience with their own decks and patios, even if it's more of a backyard setup. What works best? For example, the two types of heaters that are most prevalent in retailers are the classic post-and-mushroom style, and the more recent narrow pyramid style:

Does one of these heat better than the other? The pyramid types are more expensive, but is that additional cost just for the looks? I would think having that "mushroom" would mean a more efficient heat distribution.

On another note, what about electric heaters? I unfortunately don't have much access to outlets on my deck, but it's do-able if necessary. Will it run my electric bill up through the roof to do it with a few of these? Would I need more of them?

If anyone's gone through this process themselves and has some tips or insights I'm interested to hear them.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 03-27-2015 at 01:58 PM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:04 PM   #2
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't know, how do the stats compare?
kevman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:06 PM   #3
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Jokes aside I'm a fan of all things natural gas over propane because its' one less thing to worry about. I also like the linear ones under the soffit, trellis or similar because they seem to do a better job creating more usable warm space vs. a donut of warmth that is often half off the deck.
kevman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:06 PM   #4
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

My parents went all-out with this weird, linear patioflame:
http://www.barbecuesgalore.ca/produc...r-patio-flame/

Works great as it simulates a campfire.. but you kind of have to organize your chairs and life around it for the full effect.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:24 PM   #5
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post

Works great as it simulates a campfire.. but you kind of have to organize your chairs and life around it for the full effect.
I've seen these on rooftop patios in Asia. The distribute heat reasonably well so you won't have a cold head and feet and burning hot mid section like some other heaters. Or hot head and cold midsection and frozen toes.

Only draw back is space taken up, but with 500 square feet to work with, I don't think it's a problem.

I'd vouch for this suggestion.

Don't do electric. I have tripped fuses in the house running the basketball sized ones so I can't imagine good things from a bigger version based on electricity usage.

I've found I prefer the mushroom ones as the heat goes down, the pyramid ones work, but I don't recall preferring it. Not sure if it's due to the difference in direction of heat.

Last edited by DoubleF; 03-27-2015 at 02:28 PM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:40 PM   #6
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

See what I'm reading about the IR ones is that they are unaffected by wind because they don't heat the air. However, for the same reason, they only heat you up if you happen to be sitting directly where they're pointed. I'm sort of mulling about the idea of getting wall mounted IR heaters on the house side of the deck, and then a couple of propane ones in the other corners to heat the other side.

I am a bit concerned about the electrical usage. I'm not as worried about tripping a fuse (I live in a larger building) but I am sort of confused as to how anything that kicks off that much heat isn't running up my bill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post

I have two of these:

The picture only shows one, but imagine there's another one right next to it with a two foot gap in between to allow for people to walk between them. You can see there's a space in the corner there where a heater could go.

Currently that's the only heat source on the patio and it isn't very efficient at all in terms of heating in spite of the 50,000 btu ratings they have. Which is fine, because it wasn't meant to be - mostly decorative.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 03-27-2015, 03:31 PM   #7
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

In Hong Kong at a Terrace patio I went to, I think they had something similar to those table things you just posted, but also put the rectangle long ones Caluminate posted behind the sofa about 1-2 feet away from the sofa. Standing pyramid ones were situated along the paths between the different seating areas. They even used those rectangle ones to on occasion separate seating areas.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 05:02 PM   #8
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Note: I thought about starting this as a general patio thread sort of like the Barbecue thread; if people think that's a good idea then maybe we can just re-name this.

It's starting to warm up, and while it's not patio season yet (probably a couple more snowfalls to come) I'm starting to think about the stuff I want to add to my patio this year.

The main thing I want is the ability to keep the area warm enough that people are comfortable for longer. Not just in terms of later into the evening, but extending the useful life of the patio. So, I want to buy a couple of patio heaters.

Just for context, here's my personal situation: I have a large deck with a nice view, but the tradeoff is, it's up high and unsheltered, so it can get quite windy. This isn't a big deal in late july, but it makes it less useful in mid-May. Combined with its size (about 500 square feet), it's a challenge to warm. I have no natural gas line. I have two fire tables that are propane-fueled.

So I'm hoping there are a few people who have some experience with their own decks and patios, even if it's more of a backyard setup. What works best? For example, the two types of heaters that are most prevalent in retailers are the classic post-and-mushroom style, and the more recent narrow pyramid style:

Does one of these heat better than the other?
I have both of these and the pyramid one doesn't give off as much heat as the other one, but it looks cool and has a remote control lol
Old 04-01-2015, 11:37 AM   #9
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ended up grabbing a couple of these. I have wicker furniture so it all looks pretty consistent and the quality seems to be pretty good.