Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2015, 03:55 PM   #181
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
There are cases in which someone comes in with something minor, but it is moreoften the exception than the rule. Most people don't have the urge to sit in a waiting room for hours, to go back to a bed for hours, to see a doctor for minutes to get told to go home and not put things all the way up there anymore
I wouldn't be so sure about that, but I digress.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 03:56 PM   #182
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Emergency doctors will tell you they do see patients who they call 'frequent flyers.' People who they see at least monthly. They are sometimes hypochondriacs, but more often they're lonely old people. They may be small in absolute numbers, but if on any given night at an emergency room there are even two or three such people, that is a significant diversion of scarce attention and space.

I don't know what the solution is. Maybe everyone gets two annual visits free, and on the third and subsequent visits they're charged $20.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2015, 03:59 PM   #183
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Emergency doctors will tell you they do see patients who they call 'frequent flyers.' People who they see at least monthly. They are sometimes hypochondriacs, but more often they're lonely old people. They may be small in absolute numbers, but if on any given night at an emergency room there are even two or three such people, that is a significant diversion of scarce attention and space.

I don't know what the solution is. Maybe everyone gets two annual visits free, and on the third and subsequent visits they're charged $20.
Or even more frequently, drug seekers.

Tooth pain, abdominal pain and back pain are common as there's no conclusive way to determine pain level except along the patient
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 04:00 PM   #184
crazy_eoj
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post

The solution is to offer people the option of paying a fee to see a doctor with no wait list, while allowing anyone else to access public clinics.

Works in every country in Europe. Too 'American' for Canada.
crazy_eoj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to crazy_eoj For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2015, 04:23 PM   #185
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
That is a good point, but at some point even the money spent on Vegas, Golfing, "BD" and Car rentals are going back into the economy. Does Teatro stay open if they are empty 3 nights a week?

There are plenty of examples of companies that sit on cash, Apple being probably the best know example, their business model seems to work...

Personally, as an owner of a small business, lower corporate taxes mean I either pocket more money in the form of dividends (which get taxed at both the corporate and personal level) or I spend more on "expenses" most of which end up going to local business.
I fully understand this as the owner of a small business myself. I can't speak for others, but I can say that most of my write-offs for "CE credit hours" are spent in other countries, paid for by the operating company. My holding company doesn't have to pay tax on these expenses because it never makes it there as income. I'm perfectly ok not getting my post-tax divies when vacay is paid for by my pre-tax dollars.

Believe me, it hurts me too to raise corporate taxes. I don't want to see it, but I also wouldn't be too offended if it happened.
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 04:35 PM   #186
ThisIsAnOutrage
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
If you have to decide between paying health care premiums and playoff tickets, it is likely for the best that you don't buy playoff tickets, because you obviously can't afford them.
Full marks for missing the point, MMM. Before the budget, there was no question that I could afford the tickets. After the budget because I have to pay more for health-care, I do have to think twice about it. Get it? I guarantee I'm not the only one who has to reconsider luxuries in light of what was announced.
ThisIsAnOutrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 04:52 PM   #187
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsAnOutrage View Post
Bottom Line on the budget:

I had the chance to buy playoff tickets, now I have health care premiums instead. You know who doesn't have to think twice about playoff tickets? Corporate season ticket holders. They took zero hits. Disgusting.
that assumes the corporations are not stepping in to pay the health care premiums for each employee.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:14 PM   #188
ThisIsAnOutrage
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
that assumes the corporations are not stepping in to pay the health care premiums for each employee.
Your reply seems to assume that they will. It would be tantamount to issuing every employee a raise in the middle of an economic downturn. I don't think that's likely.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:17 PM   #189
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think some will, some won't. But once a few do it, the ball will start rolling on that front.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:22 PM   #190
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Full marks for missing the point, MMM. Before the budget, there was no question that I could afford the tickets. After the budget because I have to pay more for health-care, I do have to think twice about it. Get it? I guarantee I'm not the only one who has to reconsider luxuries in light of what was announced.
Full marks for dramatizing your situation. If your budget was so razor thin, that the ~$200 we're looking at for health care fees is going to kybosh a few thousand dollar purchase, then you couldn't afford it. That's an unexpected vet fee, or a brain dead red light ticket that'll also ruin your season ticket plans. What if your car blows a tire on some random road shrapnel? No more season tickets? lol
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2015, 07:39 PM   #191
ThisIsAnOutrage
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Full marks for dramatizing your situation. If your budget was so razor thin, that the ~$200 we're looking at for health care fees is going to kybosh a few thousand dollar purchase, then you couldn't afford it. That's an unexpected vet fee, or a brain dead red light ticket that'll also ruin your season ticket plans. What if your car blows a tire on some random road shrapnel? No more season tickets? lol

It's not a dramatization. Anyone else here remember what happens when oil tanks and jobs dry up? The luxuries go first. It is done, so that when the tire blows, the furnace fails, etc. there is cash on hand to tend to necessities. Find someone who's been laid off and ask how they feel about buying season tickets right now.

I am surprised by the shortsightedness here.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:28 PM   #192
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
It's not a dramatization. Anyone else here remember what happens when oil tanks and jobs dry up? The luxuries go first. It is done, so that when the tire blows, the furnace fails, etc. there is cash on hand to tend to necessities. Find someone who's been laid off and ask how they feel about buying season tickets right now.

Welcome to the responsibilities of life.

You still have it cheaper here than anywhere else in Canada.

edit: And by the looks of it by tonights result, there probably won't be play-off tickets to buy. So win-win?

Last edited by pylon; 03-27-2015 at 08:37 PM.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2015, 09:27 PM   #193
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

What's shortsighted is buying season tickets when $200 is a meaningful amount of money to you. Why don't you just admit that you over-estimated how much the actual tax hike is and move on?

I have been told that it will be impossible for companies to pay for the health levy because it is simply an additional line on your tax bill next year. There is no bill to pay or anyone to send a cheque to.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psicodude For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2015, 09:29 PM   #194
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
But the bank on TV told me that I'm richer than I think?!
They lied.

I've always found those commercials hilariously disingenuous.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2015, 09:50 PM   #195
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

most people are much poorer than they think
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2015, 09:54 PM   #196
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
They lied.

I've always found those commercials hilariously disingenuous.
My favorite is where they just rearrange a few things and suddenly the people can afford a mortgage they thought they couldn't. I'm sure that kind of scenario ends well in every case.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:59 PM   #197
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Life isn't always fair and never will be. We can cry and moan about what we can't afford or we can be gratefull for what we have. There's lots of things I can't afford and getting into I wish I had money for this never ends well.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:51 AM   #198
ThisIsAnOutrage
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
1) Welcome to the responsibilities of life.

2) You still have it cheaper here than anywhere else in Canada.

3) edit: And by the looks of it by tonights result, there probably won't be play-off tickets to buy. So win-win?
1) Quite well acquainted with them already. Hence the planning ahead.

2) In terms of taxes or actual cost of living? Taxes are low, cost of living is high.

3) This is only a win for L.A.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:50 AM   #199
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The last tangent kind of moved away from the budget. Considering the arrogance of producing a budget before an election, rampant with voter tax hikes, I thought that it might deserve the odd bump here and there.

"CIBC chief economist Benjamin Tal argues there has been a structural shift in the economy over the past two decades that means higher profit margins are here to stay."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/corp...here-1.3016324

This couldn't be news to provincial economists, so they simply turned a blind eye to the majority of corporate interests being able to absorb an increase of 1%, and still come out ahead of last years earnings. Oil and gas is boom/bust, but to ignore all other corporate entities is irresponsible.

For anyone who is curious as to what a healthy Heritage Fund could return, with the interest put into play as usable provincial income. Perhaps we wouldn't have to have the Conservatives tax us so heavily.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/ontar...4-5b-1.2305768

We can argue about the minutiae as much as we want, but the bottom line is that this is a province that is badly run financially. The latest budget simply reinforces that.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:55 AM   #200
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Welcome to the responsibilities of life.

You still have it cheaper here than anywhere else in Canada.

edit: And by the looks of it by tonights result, there probably won't be play-off tickets to buy. So win-win?

Take your last comment back

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote