Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-25-2014, 06:02 PM   #21
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

TorqueDog's info is good. He and I communicated on this subject a few times. He's got his own driving issues that are specific to Manitoba.

Just want to note that even a good, expensive detector is only half-good, because it's defenseless against laser guns. Only a detector-jammer combination ensures some decent protection. I use Passport 9500ix, which has upgradable GPS locators and fairly effective X-band and K-band filters complemented by a 2-sensor Blinder HP system. Total cost including installation was approx. $1,300. In one year (25,000 km driven), my Blinder HP got activated three times, each time on HWY-1 in locations that practically encourage vehicles to move faster than the posted speed limit (at the end of the passing lanes between Lake Louise and Golden and on approach to Canmore just before the limit changes from 90 to 110). Going 20k over 90km/h limit gets you approx. $380 fine and 3-4 demerits. Going 120 in a 90 zone in BC gets your license suspended and vehicle impounded; so I think the system has paid for itself already. I am not advocating for speeding but often, especially on highways, you just go with the flow and if the flow is 100 or 110 in a 90 zone, it's difficult to slow down and block everyone else's movement. Just my $0.02...
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2014, 06:53 PM   #22
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

In calgary: get a jammer. Have one in my bmw and it pays for itself quickly given cps uses laser in town.
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigNumbers For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2014, 08:32 PM   #23
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtor 1 View Post

Have you never had a speeding ticket? It's not that people challenge speed limits as much as it is 100km/h drops to 80 and you dont realize as the surroundings hasn't changed or your on deerfoot and what feels like 110 is 125 because so very few people are on the road.
1 speeding ticket avoided by a radar detector pays for itself when considering insurance and the ticket price.
I had one driving from BC to Calgary in 1997 when I was 18 and had a Mustang. Mostly I drive like an old man, but I also only drive 6,000-7,500 kms per year. Most of my transportation is on a bicycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:46 PM   #24
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since we're getting onto the subject of active LIDAR jammers, I want to reiterate one point that I always raise in these threads.

Get one. Use it in the city and on the highway, they're fantastic. But when it goes off, slow down and turn off the jammer once you've reached the posted speed limit. In other words, do not jam all the way to the gun. Let the gun get your speed after you've slowed down. It does no one (especially not you) any good to jam the entire way, it only raises suspicion and gives the officer a reason to hassle you.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2014, 04:42 PM   #25
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
My car came with a different version. It has this needle that shows how fast your car is going, and you can compare that to the posted speed limit. If the speed shown in my car is greater than the speed limit, I slow down. Yes, it's a lot of work, but I'm cheap, and it works for me.

I know, I know; I'm horrible.
This. I don't understand the mentality. Most of this forum loves to complain about other drivers doing things they shouldn't, but expects to be allowed to speed when nobody is looking. Radio stations broadcasting the radar locations really bugs me. Instead of encouraging speeding but not getting caught, why isn't the message of "just don't speed" reinforced?

I don't speed. Yes there are times when I realize I'm going over the limit unintentionally, but if I get pulled over in those situations and am given a ticket, I will likely have deserved it.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:09 PM   #26
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Swift View Post
This. I don't understand the mentality. Most of this forum loves to complain about other drivers doing things they shouldn't, but expects to be allowed to speed when nobody is looking. Radio stations broadcasting the radar locations really bugs me. Instead of encouraging speeding but not getting caught, why isn't the message of "just don't speed" reinforced?

I don't speed. Yes there are times when I realize I'm going over the limit unintentionally, but if I get pulled over in those situations and am given a ticket, I will likely have deserved it.
Get off the road, are you a senior?

My last ticket was on a divided double lane highway, with perfect road conditions, no sun in my eyes, no drugs or alcohol in my system. 100kph is ridiculous.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:18 PM   #27
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

A lot of times speeding doesn't have anything to do with safety. It's an arbitrary number often imposed in order to trap drivers. Like a lot of infractions that give you tickets, it's mostly a tax.

Some things like running red lights, driving while distracted by some device, or not signalling don't fall into this category and need to be enforced.

of course when driving in Calgary, signalling a lane change just alerts the other driver to block you off, so I take that back.

Last edited by Vulcan; 10-26-2014 at 06:20 PM.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 07:12 PM   #28
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Word of caution, if you get pulled over for something else and you have a radar detector, don't expect any breaks or leniency. You're pretty much guaranteeing yourself one ticket or more.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jar_e For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2014, 07:53 AM   #29
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
My last ticket was on a divided double lane highway, with perfect road conditions, no sun in my eyes, no drugs or alcohol in my system. 100kph is ridiculous.
so how fast were you going?
Old 10-27-2014, 09:44 AM   #30
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Sorry, but many of the posted speed limits are ridiculous. Some of these 50 and 60 zones? I could do 80 or more with my eyes closed.

I've seen far too many accidents nearly caused and avoided by drivers going too slow or just bad driving in general. I would rather be on the road with a bunch of people "speeding" over the slow drivers out there.
Igster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:39 AM   #31
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Just remember that they're useless against CPS laser traps. Any laser detector will only go off once you're already painted, by then of course it's too late.
Not true. I won the laser lottery once!

I caught some scatter while coming back into the city after we were driving back from Moab in one shot, and definitely nowhere near abiding the speed limits.

I think the odds of that are seriously low, and you are correct, every other time has been after the officer is already reading my speed off his gun.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:40 AM   #32
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Going 120 in a 90 zone in BC gets your license suspended and vehicle impounded; so I think the system has paid for itself already.
Wouldn't that be 130 in a 90?
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:48 AM   #33
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

BC is 40 over for impound.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:09 PM   #34
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is a distinction between "high speed" and "excessive speed" in BC, I believe with different fines in each case. Don't remember the exact numbers though.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:37 AM   #35
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

With speeding tickets going up by 35%, I'm thinking now might be a great time to look at this discussion again. My husband and I have discovered with the help of the CPS that I have a lead foot. In the 14 months since I've had a vehicle, I have paid $300 in photo radar tickets. (Thankfully there are no demerits and they were in his vehicle!) He hasn't been as lucky and has had three written tickets totaling over $500. We are thinking that this year will will invest our speeding ticket money into a radar detector.

Anyone else plan on doing this based on the increase set to happen? Any suggestions on best bang for your buck?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FireFly For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2015, 10:50 AM   #36
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
With speeding tickets going up by 35%,
Does the 35% apply on provincial highway only or does it include cities like Caglary infractions?
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:52 AM   #37
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Put your vehicle on cruise and drive a little above the speed limit.

I doubt the value of the time lost going slower is a lot less than you feel it is.

Last edited by Cappy; 03-27-2015 at 12:10 PM.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:13 AM   #38
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
Does the 35% apply on provincial highway only or does it include cities like Caglary infractions?
No idea. Good question though! For the amount we drive Stoney, I think it's still worth it for us to invest. That was the most recent place my husband got dinged.... he was doing 117. It's a shame that the ring road is only 100.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:17 AM   #39
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here is a crazy idea. Drive the speed limit.

They you won't have to worry about it.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoubleK For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2015, 11:20 AM   #40
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

The changes announced in yesterday's budget apply to the amounts of the fines issued under the Traffic Safety Act. That's the same act RCMP, Sherrifs, and CPS use when they hand out speeding tickets whether in a municipality or on the highway.
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fredr123 For This Useful Post: