Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2015, 07:47 PM   #281
Shaggin Wagon
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The wife and I are doing insanity max 30 (beach body). Made up one week worth of meal plan with a shopping list. It is quite sustainable once you commit. 5x 30 minute work out videos a week. plus ten minute ab work out add on. P90X was not sustainable for us. too much time working out. We both work full time and need to study each night (CPA courses for me and residency for her)

Edit: we used their guidelines for the meal plan and shopping list. It took a long time to create but saves so much time.

Last edited by Shaggin Wagon; 03-26-2015 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Meal plan
Shaggin Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:21 PM   #282
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

So for the past year and a bit I've been eating fairly clean in addition to working out. Been great for the weightloss and general health, but now I find that when I do indulge in something it really makes me feel like crap. Few months ago I had my first egg McMuffin and hashbrown combo at McDicks in over a year and it just ruined me for half the day. Then last week someone brought Timbits in the office after lunch and after 5 or 6 I felt like total crap for the rest of the afternoon. Last gaming night I had with some buddies and copious amounts of junk food wrecked me for most of the following day as well

I know it's not the end of the world and I'm better off without all that stuff, but it sucks still having those cravings from time to time and knowing now that if I indulge I'll regret it. Thankfully pizza still seems to agree with me, losing that might push me over the edge
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:21 AM   #283
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I went 5 weeks without missing any gym time and I pushed and improved every single workout. I didn't lose an ounce of fat, or mass. I wasn't eating terribly, but I guess I was still eating too much.

In the last 4 weeks, I've used Myfitnesspal and have been fanatic about counting calories and have dropped 10 noticeable pounds. I counted calories in the past but the apps I had used were nowhere near as good as MFP. Its database is very deep and the scanner makes it easy. I love personal stats and watching my macro numbers makes this all kind of fun for me. If I'm not sure where a certain food will put me, I'll add it before I eat it to make sure it fits my plan.

The only tricky part is determining your BMR and activities' caloric burn accurately. I've seen a few different formulas that can have a variance of 300 calories a day, which is pretty significant. I cut back 100 calories this week to compensate for my new weight and today's run wore me down hard. But I'm also set a couple personal bests with the weights so maybe that was a factor.

TLDR: Count your calories!
burnin_vernon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burnin_vernon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2015, 08:35 AM   #284
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^Yeah I use MFP combined with fit bit for tracking calories burned and it seems to be quite accurate. Ran a 1000 calorie deficit for 4 weeks and lost roughly 2 pounds per week. Then I reduced my deficit to roughly 500 calories per day and lost about 1 pound per week until I'd lost 15 pounds total.

Pretty much a fool proof system when you find a decent way to track both.

Myfitnesspal is really easy to use, especially once you've got most of the foods you eat already entered into it.

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 03-28-2015 at 08:38 AM.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:14 AM   #285
Goodlad
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
Looking for some equipment advice.

I have been barbell training for the last month or so and loving it (stronglifts 5x5). Do not like going to the gym though, especially when all the squat racks are full. So I am pretty sure I would like to workout at home.

Power Rack
Body Solid GPR378 - $562.50
Rise Power Cage RISE905 - $475
Northern Lights Iron Factory Power Rack - $328

Barbell
Northern Lights - $100
Northern Lights - $150
Burgener & Rippetoe - 400 shipped (guh!)

Plates
Olympic Rubber Coated Plates - Various weights $265ish

The rest is minor stuff like collars, storage, flooring etc. Not much to talk about there. Already have a decent bench.

What do you guys think? I like the body solid rack but if the cheaper one will work then I am all for saving money. Really unsure about the barbell. Pretty tempted to cheap out and upgrade later. With the dollar right now it is killer to order from Rogue. I have been keeping an eye on kijiji but see very little. I am a skinny nerd so I am not pushing a bunch of weight around. Any advice would be appreciated.
Starting your own home gym can be a bit intimidating starting out, but in my opinion it's well worth the effort. For one, it eliminates many of the excuses for not working out. You can always find a half hour somewhere in the day to slip into your garage/basement and get a quick workout in.

As far as equipment goes, like others have suggested your best bet is Kijiji. You should be able to find a basic squat rack fairly cheap with some patience. Unfortunately working out at home you realistically need either bumper plates, so you can drop the bar without worrying about damaging anything, or a full cage with spotter bars. Bench pressing by yourself can get especially sketchy in a home gym....we've all seen youtube videos of guys who miss their lift then get trapped under the bar yelling for help.

Cages
The cages you have listed all look like decent options. The Iron Factory one does look to be the least solidly built, but if you're a slim guy who isn't putting tons of weight on it I think it's a great starting option that can be upgraded as needed down the road.
Edit: Found an excellent article reviewing some power racks.

Barbells
This is the one area I would not recommend going the Kijiji route. If they're not cared for they can rust out inside the collar, leading to breakage when dropped. Part of the difference in price ranges is the style of construction on the bars. Avoid any barbell that has a hex bolt on the end like the plague. It's a sure sign of poor construction, and is pretty common in most chain brand barbell.

Both of the Northern Lights barbells you have listed are probably not good options. The Rogue bar you have listed is an excellent barbell, but might not be ideal for your uses. For one it is not coated. This makes for an excellent feel, but a lot more maintenance as far as brushing it and using oil to prevent rust.

You might be better served by some of Rogue's cheaper options, like the Beater Bar or the Economy Bar. Both are excellent bars with good construction. The main difference is the diameter, either 31mm or 29.5mm. Personally I like the smaller diameter because it's easier to lock in a hook grip, but most powerlifters like the larger diameter.

Plates
Really this is another case where Kijiji is your friend. You should be able to find cheap iron olympic plates no problem. Personally a little rust doesn't bother me in a home gym, but everyone is different. I will say that unlike with a barbell a little rust doesn't really effect the performance of plates. As for the rubber coated plates I've personally never seen the point. The still damage your flooring when dropped, just like regular iron plates. If dropping weight is a concern then spend the extra money and get some bumper plates.

Sorry for the super long response, but I'm kind of a gym equipment junky

Last edited by Goodlad; 03-28-2015 at 09:23 AM.
Goodlad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goodlad For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2015, 09:20 AM   #286
Goodlad
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I have a power rack and everything at home and love working out there as opposed to the gym. My rack is somewhat similar to the body solid one I think and I couldn't really give you an opinion on the difference between those three. All I know is that mine is good enough for what I am doing. I guess I'm not entirely sure what the more expensive one does for you that the cheaper one doesn't?

I have a 7ft bar which is basically the exact same as that cheaper option there and I have no problems with it at all. I'm sure that one higher end bar is somehow better...but I have no idea how. I just put weights on mine and lift heavy stuff. I can't think of a reason that I would need a more expensive bar in all honesty.

I'd be interested in hearing other opinions though in case I just have no idea! For some context I lift four times a week.
Here's an article I found very useful when barbell shopping. Some of the pricing and available options are a little outdated now, but it also details the differences in construction and things to look for when tailoring a barbell to your personal needs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Goodlad For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2015, 10:40 AM   #287
t0rrent98
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've gained 4 lbs since I re worked my workout routine at the start of the new year. I'm going 3 days a week but starting to go 5 days now. My Mon/Fri are my upper body and wed is my lower body. While tues/thurs are my abs/core day.

Still a long ways for me since my goal is around 170lbs to 180lbs, currently at 158 to 160lbs. It's taken me probably 4 years to gain that since I first started in 09 and gained 15lbs. I shouldn't have skipped out on gym days which probably be at least 3 years that I've screwed myself over.

CPHL Dallas Stars
t0rrent98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:48 AM   #288
Goodlad
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
I bought some gymnastics rings and created a pipe contraption in my basement to hang them from the joists. First of all, awesome work out and it doesn't take long to start getting into more advanced moves. Second, has anyone on here achieved a unassisted ring muscle up? I'm so close, but just can't get through the transition from pull up to press. I'm not sure if it's my technique or strength (both?). I can do bar muscle ups, but the rings continue to give me grief. I've only been at the rings for about 4 weeks now, so maybe I just need more time.
A lot of it will depend on whether you're doing strict ring muscle-ups or kipping. If you're trying them strict you have to have a really solid false grip, otherwise the transition is nearly impossible. Kipping you can use a regular grip, but you'll need enough momentum to get your hands up on the rings to transition into a good position for the dip portion. Here's a couple videos I found very helpful getting my first ring muscle up, and later improving efficiency.
Edit: NSFW for some language in vids
NSFW!

Last edited by Goodlad; 03-28-2015 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:39 AM   #289
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey Goodlad, how would you recommend upgrading my barbell now? Like for someone who has a cheaper barbell I don't really want two...but I can see the advantages of a better one now. Frankly when I bought mine I gave it zero thought and just wanted a 7 foot bar for my cage. I haven't had any issues, but of course I don't want any either. Is there somewhere where you can basically trade these in, or just buy a new one and post this one on kijiji?

(Someone ruined the market for mine on CP)
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:23 PM   #290
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Yes, I'm being patient even though it seems pointless some days, and I'm being dedicated, by going 6/7 days a week with only Fridays off. I am seeing weight loss slowly and notice my pants are getting easier to close. But like everything these days, everyone wants results immediately.
Sometimes, results are just really slow to come, and it depends on where you look, too.

I started a weight loss weight lifting program 6 months ago. It's a 3 month program. At the end of the first 3 months, I weighed exactly the same. I was depressed about that until I realized that my measurements had shifted noticeably. I redid the program (ending this week) and have had more measurement changes.

It wasn't until 3 weeks ago that my weight actually started changing. Lost 5lb now, and it's continuing to slip off. But if I'd given up before 3 weeks ago, I might have considered it a 'failure'. Just gotta keep plugging away at it.

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 03-28-2015 at 01:08 PM.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 02:28 PM   #291
gladaki
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

My progression since 2011.I followed Jim Wendler 531 program for few cycles.

Last edited by gladaki; 03-28-2015 at 02:46 PM.
gladaki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gladaki For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2015, 02:33 PM   #292
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladaki View Post

My progression since 2011..
Impressive.

Picture would be nice though, no?
agulati is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 03:09 PM   #293
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

I have recently changed my diet around and I'm seeing huge changes. Leafy greens, hemp protein, micro greens, fermented foods(kimchi and miso), RO water and adaptogens are healing me. Also never cooking things over 75 degrees has a big influence.

I used to have lingering injuries (shoulder and knee) but they are healing. Deadlift up 50 pounds in 2 months, benchpress up, 6:45 mile. Need less sleep, quit coffee, less irritable and my back doesn't constantly hurt. Surprising how big an effect a proper diet can have. Another big thing is I don't get frustrated or get that down feeling very easily anymore.

Last edited by AcGold; 03-28-2015 at 03:11 PM.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 03:22 PM   #294
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodlad View Post
A lot of it will depend on whether you're doing strict ring muscle-ups or kipping. If you're trying them strict you have to have a really solid false grip, otherwise the transition is nearly impossible. Kipping you can use a regular grip, but you'll need enough momentum to get your hands up on the rings to transition into a good position for the dip portion. Here's a couple videos I found very helpful getting my first ring muscle up, and later improving efficiency.
Edit: NSFW for some language in vids
NSFW!
Yeah, I've definitely been working on the false grip with a strict muscle up in mind. I don't have the space to kip and I'm not 100% sold on the long term health safety of doing kips. Maybe I'm old school, but strict everything is more appealing to me. It's funny, I can do multiple band assisted muscle up (that one of those videos showed) quite easily, even with a light resistance band, but moving onto the unassisted strict is very challenging. Certainly one of the most challenging exercises I've encountered in my life. For now though, I'm mostly working the fundamentals (dips, various holds like L sits, various pulling exercises etc.) to keep building the specific ring strength.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 05:48 PM   #295
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Yes, I'm being patient even though it seems pointless some days, and I'm being dedicated, by going 6/7 days a week with only Fridays off. I am seeing weight loss slowly and notice my pants are getting easier to close. But like everything these days, everyone wants results immediately.

What do you think of the theory that muscle eats fat. T or F? I'm going on the premise that it is True.
You need to get your diet in check if you want to lose weight faster. You're only going to burn a few hundred calories from each workout, and a pound of fat has about 3600 calories.

Yes muscle burns fat, but it also takes a long time to put on muscle. Even then, the change in metabolism won't counteract a bad diet.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:43 PM   #296
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
You need to get your diet in check if you want to lose weight faster. You're only going to burn a few hundred calories from each workout, and a pound of fat has about 3600 calories.

Yes muscle burns fat, but it also takes a long time to put on muscle. Even then, the change in metabolism won't counteract a bad diet.
Dammit.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:13 AM   #297
Goodlad
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Hey Goodlad, how would you recommend upgrading my barbell now? Like for someone who has a cheaper barbell I don't really want two...but I can see the advantages of a better one now. Frankly when I bought mine I gave it zero thought and just wanted a 7 foot bar for my cage. I haven't had any issues, but of course I don't want any either. Is there somewhere where you can basically trade these in, or just buy a new one and post this one on kijiji?

(Someone ruined the market for mine on CP)
Your best bet would be putting it on Kijiji. You won't get what you paid for it, but you'll get something at least. I actually do have a cheap chain brand barbell that I keep around exclusively for back squats because it's the only bar I have with the central knurling. It's really not a great solution though because I don't have spotter bars on my squat rack, so one of these times when I have to dump the bar it's probably going to break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
Yeah, I've definitely been working on the false grip with a strict muscle up in mind. I don't have the space to kip and I'm not 100% sold on the long term health safety of doing kips. Maybe I'm old school, but strict everything is more appealing to me. It's funny, I can do multiple band assisted muscle up (that one of those videos showed) quite easily, even with a light resistance band, but moving onto the unassisted strict is very challenging. Certainly one of the most challenging exercises I've encountered in my life. For now though, I'm mostly working the fundamentals (dips, various holds like L sits, various pulling exercises etc.) to keep building the specific ring strength.
In that case I don't think I can really help you. I'm still trying to get my first strict muscle up, but for me it's a strength issue. I'm just not there yet. Still building up strength in the false grip and transition. It's one of my goals for this year.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:47 PM   #298
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bump to ask how gym goers shop at GNC? A couple of the Calgary stores consistently try and overcharge me, by a significant amount, whenever I go in. Not a supplement nut really, but go in semi-regularly for your typical protein, creatine, BCAA stuff. Not sure if it is poorly trained employees or are these sales commission boost attempts? I have been with GNC for a while simply because the gold card prices seem to be better than Popeye's, but might be time to switch back.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 04:09 PM   #299
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I found that Canadian Protein is way better. They have really good quality supplements, free shipping over $99 and I order there now. The milk chocolate whey tastes great and blows GNC out of the water! I order two at a time of the 5lb bags and there is no shipping. I haven't tried all the flavours, but the chocolate is great, Pb chocolate is good and I do mix them also. It's just so much cheaper though for better stuff that I have all but stopped GNC.

Shameless plug in the sense if you use this link I get some kind of reward or something something. I don't really track these things, but figured I should at least post it! I think people know me enough here though that they know I wouldn't recommend them if I didn't think they were good.

http://canadianprotein.refr.cc/TWJ84VZ
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2015, 04:20 PM   #300
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Buying protein supplements has to be the biggest racket out there. You're essentially buying garbage and thinking it's going to help you build muscle. I encourage all of you dropping $40-$80 a month to do some online research on how bad that crap is for you (especially Whey) and what kind of long-term body damage high-protein diets can cause
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote