Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2015, 05:05 PM   #2201
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
There appears to be a whopping 40-45 abandoned wells in all of Calgary. With 95% of them being in the north east. And the majority in north east Calgary being located on airport property.
I'd love to see the ratio on those declarations filled out to date of "was within radius of abandoned well" to "was not within radius of abandoned well".

Good thing we have a form to cover the 0.01% case.... haha.

What's next, the Anatum Peregrine Falcon Declaration Form?

"Have you spotted an Anatum Peregrine Falcon within 100m of your property in the last year? YES: __ NO: __"

Last edited by Bill Bumface; 03-24-2015 at 05:08 PM.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2015, 05:08 PM   #2202
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I reabandoned 2 wells in the south east last year!
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:28 PM   #2203
Daorcey
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot25 View Post
Anyway, while you are at it there Daorcey, can you "fix"* the whole swimming registration process for kids?
Huh. I didn't know about that problem. I do know that one of the first "cut red tape" projects we did was to make it easier for people to register their kids for swimming classes AT the rec centre. Previously, you had to call 311 or go through some arcane system. Now all rec centre front desk employees are trained to sign you up (or you can do it at a computer at the rec centre, should they have some public computers there).
Daorcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:56 PM   #2204
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

The city put up signs indicating that the south side of the Bow River pathway will be closed for a month between 14th street and 10th street. They are detouring folks to the north side pathway.

When is the city going to get around to putting in a new pedestrian pathway on the north side between 14th and 10th? They have a really ####ty, narrow, uneven and deteriorated pathway along the river bank that is designated for pedestrians and the cyclists get really pissed if you walk along their pathway that runs alongside Memorial.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:14 PM   #2205
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daorcey View Post
Huh. I didn't know about that problem. I do know that one of the first "cut red tape" projects we did was to make it easier for people to register their kids for swimming classes AT the rec centre. Previously, you had to call 311 or go through some arcane system. Now all rec centre front desk employees are trained to sign you up (or you can do it at a computer at the rec centre, should they have some public computers there).
Thanks! Your response was really more response then needed. The challenge is just that its impossible to get registered, beyond what should be expected. Its a mad race. You can register in person, but....that is pointless as you can only register at the end when they see your report card, so they know what level to register you at....yet...you can register online for as many as you wNmant, whenever. Wild west of swimming online i guess yoy cpuld say . So as a result people register months and months in advance in multiple classes, then pull out of most at the last minute...even with a $20 change fee. Its nothing to have lessons all booked up for 3-6 months ahead or more.

That said the actual lessons are typically awesome, and pass on my kudos for that.

Anyway sorry for clogging this up with a very minor issue in grand scheme of things, but as a father of two tiny little swimmers... My life often revolves around these kind of things, sadly.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 03:33 PM   #2206
Daorcey
Farm Team Player

Exp:

In case you haven't seen it elsewhere... Mayor Nenshi Reads: The Home Team Calgary Flames!

Old 03-31-2015, 01:49 AM   #2207
pgsieve
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'm not sure Daorcey is checking other threads, so I'll put this here... Daorcey- Can you explain the rationale behind the taxi decision. IE: What the "danger" is by issuing more cabs. I keep hearing that the taxi industry is "down" but what is the exact harm in letting me people have the license? In my mind... If I pass all the tests and want to become a taxi driver I should be able to. If I start working and realize I can't make enough money because there are too many cabs, I'll find a new job. I really don't get the cities logic here.

While I'm on the topic of transportation, as a recent university graduate, it blows my mind how expensive it is to purchase a pass for the train or pay for a single fare. I remember when I moved to Calgary to start university, I couldn't believe how awesome the train was. I used the train and buses for all of my travel and got around the city quite efficiently. When I graduated and lost of the privledge of a discounted train pass, I started to compare the cost difference between using public transportation and driving a personal vehicle. Parking, gas, and vehicle use included, it is about 1.50 cheaper each day to drive my own vehicle. I can see why no one other than university students uses the train.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:51 AM   #2208
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m not one to normally one to go into a thread like this, but something HAS to be done about the complete cluster#### that is the Community Natural Foods on 10th Ave SW. Here is an example of what pedestrians have to deal with.

This is my pedestrian commute this morning. In order to go from the sidewalk that precedes Community Natural Foods, to the sidewalk that follows Community Natural Foods, I have to run into 10th Ave around the semi and dodge traffic.

I don’t even bother going this way on my walk home as I just know I am putting my life into my hands if I choose to do so.

So, what are my options here to express my frustration? 311 I’m guessing?

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:45 AM   #2209
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsieve View Post
I'm not sure Daorcey is checking other threads, so I'll put this here... Daorcey- Can you explain the rationale behind the taxi decision. IE: What the "danger" is by issuing more cabs. I keep hearing that the taxi industry is "down" but what is the exact harm in letting me people have the license? In my mind... If I pass all the tests and want to become a taxi driver I should be able to. If I start working and realize I can't make enough money because there are too many cabs, I'll find a new job. I really don't get the cities logic here.
I'd like an answer too. The data is very clear that we need more taxis in Calgary. There is so much rhetoric around not using your own car to get around and to not drive drunk, but Nenshi ands the council put asinine roadblacks to reducing car use in at every opportunity.

Is it willful misinterpretation of the date or do the donations from the taxi companies equal out to too much that they have no choice but to hinder access to cabs in Calgary?

Council should only be involved in making sure cabs are safe and legit, the number of cabs will self regulate based on demand and quality of service. It is not the council's job to prop up the income of cab drivers or medallion owners.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to llwhiteoutll For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2015, 10:56 AM   #2210
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
I'd like an answer too. The data is very clear that we need more taxis in Calgary. There is so much rhetoric around not using your own car to get around and to not drive drunk, but Nenshi ands the council put asinine roadblacks to reducing car use in at every opportunity.

Is it willful misinterpretation of the date or do the donations from the taxi companies equal out to too much that they have no choice but to hinder access to cabs in Calgary?

Council should only be involved in making sure cabs are safe and legit, the number of cabs will self regulate based on demand and quality of service. It is not the council's job to prop up the income of cab drivers or medallion owners.
I would also be interested in hearing the official rationalization behind this ridiculous system that remains in place (the real reason can be found by taking a look at campaign donor lists for council members).

I seriously hope Uber ignores the protestations of the City and breaks the taxicab monopoly.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:22 AM   #2211
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

The city has legitimate concerns about Uber. But don't they realize that if they really want to save the current licensing system, they need to dramatically reform it to ensure reasonable access to cabs in every part of the city at 1:00 AM on a Saturday night?

If they don't figure this out, there won't be a single person in this city besides current taxi owners who will shed a tear when the old system crumbles under the Uber onslaught. I just don't get how so many councilors and the mayor can be so tone deaf on an issue. If there are considerations that the public isn't aware about, then let's hear them. I'm all ears. The mayor can even speak in full sentences if that's necessary.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2015, 11:42 AM   #2212
Daorcey
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsieve View Post
Daorcey- Can you explain the rationale behind the taxi decision. IE: What the "danger" is by issuing more cabs. I keep hearing that the taxi industry is "down" but what is the exact harm in letting me people have the license? In my mind... If I pass all the tests and want to become a taxi driver I should be able to. If I start working and realize I can't make enough money because there are too many cabs, I'll find a new job.
Thanks for posting here... I'm not actively searching the other threads, so I don't see questions elsewhere. There are a couple of answers to your question depending on what you mean by "danger".

If you're talking about adding an unlimited amount of cabs to the market, the "danger" in doing that is flooding the market. I understand that when other cities have done that they end up making driving a cab an unreasonable career choice (ie: drivers can't make enough money to continue) and making it even more difficult to find a cab (as drivers either leave the industry or focus on only proven areas). There's a lot more to cab regulation that I'm sure you can find out there... I'm no expert and have asked a lot of these questions myself (ie: I'm really not in a position to get into a debate here... just sharing what I know).

The other "danger" has arisen with the prospect of Uber and other similar providers. Philosophically, The City is very supportive of technology coming in and disrupting the industry to improve customer service. However, The City (as the regulator) must put customer safety first. The concern with some new entrants is that they may encourage taxi drivers that do not have the appropriate insurance... or the company does not have the appropriate insurance to cover an accident or abuse by a driver. If that insurance is there, then there's no problem with Uber (or something like it).

And to wrap: here's what the mayor said yesterday regarding the most recent decision on taxi licenses:

The Following User Says Thank You to Daorcey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2015, 11:47 AM   #2213
Daorcey
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
I'd like an answer too. The data is very clear that we need more taxis in Calgary.
For anyone curious about the data, you can find the report to Council in yesterday's agenda under "Livery system enhancements update". As Mayor Nenshi noted in scrum, Council would like more data within the current economic situation to make a better decision. That's one reason they decided to delay releasing all the new licenses right away.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:52 AM   #2214
Daorcey
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
This is my pedestrian commute this morning... So, what are my options here to express my frustration? 311 I’m guessing?
Wow. Brutal. 311 can't help you with that kind of ridiculousness. You may want to contact the specific trucking company to complain... or the company that was receiving the shipment. Is it Community Natural Foods that's receiving that shipment? Tell them how pissed off you are... and and a bit of public shaming doesn't hurt either
The Following User Says Thank You to Daorcey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2015, 11:59 AM   #2215
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The City is very supportive of technology coming in and disrupting the industry to improve customer service.
That may be the rhetoric that is recited at City Hall and by the Taxi and Limo Advisory Committee but it seems to be far from the truth. Karen Cameron, previous Manager and Chief of Livery Transport Services in Calgary, has previously claimed that the industry in Calgary "has long claimed that major brokers in the city hold a monopoly on taxi service and attempt to bully those with new and innovative ideas. She said city officials should alter the licensing system so it’s less focused on “market protection.”" This was during the discussions surrounding the FastCab app that was developed and launched in Calgary in 2013.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:04 PM   #2216
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
For anyone curious about the data, you can find the report to Council in yesterday's agenda under "Livery system enhancements update". As Mayor Nenshi noted in scrum, Council would like more data within the current economic situation to make a better decision. That's one reason they decided to delay releasing all the new licenses right away.
Administration did an analysis of the current economic situation (according to the report) and still recommended releasing 64 plates in time for Stampede. That includes a hold back of 193 new plates due to economic uncertainty, which seems sufficient.

Basically, it seems once the taxi lobby loses and new plates come in, they keep fighting and fighting.

Also, the report recommends that initiatives be taken to allow drivers to be more independent from their brokerages. I suggest the city stop allowing the collection of extra money from fares initiating at the airport. This money is used by the brokerage to buy exclusive access to the airport for its cabs, which hurts independent taxis. If that happened, I suspect the airport authority would be willing to negotiate access to all registered and licensed taxi cabs in exchange for the fee being reinstated.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 01:04 PM   #2217
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I left my hockey gear in the parking lot of a city rink by accident. When I drove home (I live in Cochrane) I noticed the gear was no longer there. I tried calling the rink and it gets directed to 311. I ask the 311 rep if she can call the rink attendant to see if they have my hockey gear and she advises that they cannot contact the rink attendants and have to submit a service request that will be responded to within 5 business days.

How does this process even make sense? I get that they want a centralized service to handle the bulk of inquiries but why can't 311 contact a rink attendant? I am sure true one off situations don't happen that frequently so a 30 second phone call to the rink attendant isn't going to bother them.

Instead I had to drive back to the rink and the attendant was kind enough to wait around the rink after his shift to see if I would come back. A 30 second phone call would have allowed the attendant to leave the rink at the end of his shift and not waste anymore of his evening.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:20 PM   #2218
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
I’m not one to normally one to go into a thread like this, but something HAS to be done about the complete cluster#### that is the Community Natural Foods on 10th Ave SW. Here is an example of what pedestrians have to deal with.

This is my pedestrian commute this morning. In order to go from the sidewalk that precedes Community Natural Foods, to the sidewalk that follows Community Natural Foods, I have to run into 10th Ave around the semi and dodge traffic.

I don’t even bother going this way on my walk home as I just know I am putting my life into my hands if I choose to do so.

So, what are my options here to express my frustration? 311 I’m guessing?
Cross the road? Go around it? Is it that hard?

I commute down that road twice a day walking in the summer/spring time and maybe 2 or 3 times there is a truck there. What did I do? Either walked around it or crossed the street.

Is this really something that makes you so upset?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:27 PM   #2219
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Cross the road? Go around it? Is it that hard?

I commute down that road twice a day walking in the summer/spring time and maybe 2 or 3 times there is a truck there. What did I do? Either walked around it or crossed the street.

Is this really something that makes you so upset?
I've been places where stuff like this becomes the accepted norm. It is a major inconvenience and downright dangerous as a pedestrian.

If this is no big deal, next time couriers run out of rack space they can just plop some bikes in the middle of 9th Ave and people can use another road. Or go around. Is it that hard?
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:31 PM   #2220
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

From the look of that picture, it must have been an amazing job of that truck driver backing into that spot. You might have to wait until they're done high fiving before you start to complain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
If this is no big deal, next time couriers run out of rack space they can just plop some bikes in the middle of 9th Ave and people can use another road. Or go around. Is it that hard?
I don't know what this means.

Last edited by Harry Lime; 03-31-2015 at 02:34 PM.
Harry Lime is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ask me anything , nenshiisashill , purple