Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2011, 12:51 PM   #41
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't have a fear of the plane crashing or turbulence - flying can be a beautiful experience.

Sometimes i will experience some anxiety when i hear that door shut - as it now means i can't get off the damn thing - fear of not being in control i guess

But the thing about anxiety is that it always passes and when it does you usually feel pretty darn good!

Facing your fears head on is the best approach. Yes very easy to say, but it's true. Drugs/Alcohol is a temp thing that doesn't solve the problem. I would suggest trying to breathing and mental exercises and if there is anything else that gives you anxiety that you can use as a test run to try these things out - that might help too - the hardest part is realizing that it won't last (at least for me) and that once it's done - you actually feel pretty good and if you can overcome this you will feel great too.
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:59 PM   #42
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Some good points and stories here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
I've had a few individual flights that were pretty scary. One with a big altitude drop during a storm, and one where there were problems with the landing gear before takeoff that the pilot said he "thought" were resolved. The scariest though was one flight that was delayed for almost an hour due to computer problems, after which the pilot said we'd be good to go once "Windows finished re-booting". I just about got up and walked off the plane.
Funny enough the same thing happened to me on a WestJet from Cal to Van. Flight was delayed an hour because a system was not working and "rebooting"

For some reason that did not scare me so bad. Really I think it is bad during a) take-off or b) turbulence.

Something about shaking in the air at 36,000 ft that makes me pucker up and hold tight
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:12 PM   #43
ozzy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I'm terrified of flying.

You can read me any statistic you want, but I can walk away from a fender bender, I'm most likely dying in a blaze of glory in any plane crash.

To me it's more of a "claustrophobia" and "lack of any control over the situation" issue.

Same here, for me it's more "claustrophobia" and "lack of any control over the situation". I get anxiety attacks, I panic really bad.

I have to take Ativan for anxiety, that seems to help a bit. Even days before I know I have to flight I feel very anxious.

Flying causes a lot stress in my life, but I have no choice, I have to do it.

Last edited by ozzy; 08-18-2011 at 01:19 PM.
ozzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:20 PM   #44
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm terrified of flying,

I usually shotgun a six-pack, and then chase that with some Nyquil and I'm good to go.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2011, 01:24 PM   #45
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

So this being the internet and all when can we start posting pics?

Seriously though, I have always loved flying and can't imagine what this must feel like. I hope some of the suggestions given here can help you overcome some of that anxiety. Also have you ever looked at seeing a professional that helps people with phobias like this?
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:21 PM   #46
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post

Seriously though, I have always loved flying and can't imagine what this must feel like. I hope some of the suggestions given here can help you overcome some of that anxiety. Also have you ever looked at seeing a professional that helps people with phobias like this?
Never really thought about seeing a professional as I manage to get by most flights through sheer determination (and booze) but as I start to travel more, I may have to look at something.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:34 PM   #47
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love flying. Takeoff, flight, landing, everything about it.

Those of you that are fearful of landing need to take a flight to O'Hare Airport in Chicago sometimes. They don't call it the windy city for no reason.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:42 PM   #48
ozzy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I have thought about it. I'm even thinking about getting hypnotized. Hypnosis has worked for a few friend who wanted to quit smoking. It may work for my fear too.
ozzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:47 PM   #49
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you guys (and gals) ever thought about going up for a flight in a small plane with an instructor? Getting a chance to actually fly a plane and see how it all works (at the most basic level) has helped people with their fear.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:55 PM   #50
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-bo09 View Post
Never really thought about seeing a professional as I manage to get by most flights through sheer determination (and booze) but as I start to travel more, I may have to look at something.
Actually had a friend who went on saw a professional prior to a flight from Vancouver to London. Not only did her help her on flight but made a huge difference in her life. Not sure how many sessions she had maybe a few - sometimes thats all it takes depending on severity.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:00 PM   #51
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Have you guys (and gals) ever thought about going up for a flight in a small plane with an instructor? Getting a chance to actually fly a plane and see how it all works (at the most basic level) has helped people with their fear.
Most flying schools will allow you to take an introductory lesson (called a "Discovery Flight") relatively cheaply, too. You won't get to control the plane during takeoff and landing, but once you're at altitude, the instructor pilot will give you control and let you perform basic climb/descend/turn manoeuvres. You'll also spend a lot of time on the ground talking about the plane, its systems, and what all the different instruments and controls do.
MarchHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:01 PM   #52
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was on a return flight from Hong Kong to Vancouver last year on Christmas Day, and 2 oldies had a heart attack on the flight. The plane only carried one defib, so when the 2nd guy got a heart attack... we had to make an emergency stop in Alaska to drop them off.

Fear of flying? I dunno...
Old 08-18-2011, 03:06 PM   #53
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Most flying schools will allow you to take an introductory lesson (called a "Discovery Flight") relatively cheaply, too. You won't get to control the plane during takeoff and landing, but once you're at altitude, the instructor pilot will give you control and let you perform basic climb/descend/turn manoeuvres. You'll also spend a lot of time on the ground talking about the plane, its systems, and what all the different instruments and controls do.
Back in my instructor days I'd let the odd discovery flight conduct the takeoff (with a little assistance on the controls).
Old 08-18-2011, 03:06 PM   #54
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Lock yourself in your room for 24hrs while smoking pot and doing meth; while watching, Alive's opening crash sequence over and over again.

You'll either come out a day later completely cured or I'll give you your money back.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:08 PM   #55
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I quite enjoy watching my Mayday DVD's while on a plane.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MelBridgeman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2011, 03:10 PM   #56
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Or the Gimli glider?
Stories like that one should be useful for reassuring scared passengers. Pilots are extremely well trained.

At Gimli, the pilot executed a manoeuvre (forward slip) that he had never before attempted, even in a glider (he was a glider pilot), or in simulation, and executed it perfectly - without the use of most of his instruments. If he didn't execute it perfectly, there's a good chance that many to all of the people on board die.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:11 PM   #57
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
LOL.

I enjoy flying and do a lot of it. I like being in airports, being on a plane...pretty much all of it (not delays, lost luggage, etc.). I read and listen to music on the iPhone. Time passes.

Give me a gun and I could be an air marshall.

I did have a big altidude drop flying between Edmonton and Calgary one time. It was scary but I was okay.
I like flying too, long flights are a pain, my back can get quite sore, but I guess the excitement of going somewhere else, or somewhere new always trumps everything else for me and puts me in an adventurous mood.

Talking about an altitude drop, I was once involved in approx. 2 hours of severe chop (on and off, every time time you thought it was over, and the seatbelt lights went off, the chop would come back in 10 mins) on a 9-10 hour flight from Honolulu to Sydney that gave us two serious free falls. One of which I was lucky enough to be in the bathroom for... Nothing like hitting your head on the roof of the plane with your dick sticking out of your pants mid stream...
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:14 PM   #58
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Stories like that one should be useful for reassuring scared passengers. Pilots are extremely well trained.

At Gimli, the pilot executed a manoeuvre (forward slip) that he had never before attempted, even in a glider (he was a glider pilot), or in simulation, and executed it perfectly - without the use of most of his instruments. If he didn't execute it perfectly, there's a good chance that many to all of the people on board die.
I am very certain that Capt. Bob Pearson had performed forward slips before. They are actually a very common maneuver for glider pilots to lose altitude quickly (it is also taught to private pilot students).

He had most certainly never forward slipped an airliner before.

Forward slips are pretty cool, you are in essence cross controlling between the ailerons and rudder to force a side of the aircraft into the direction of flight, making the plane itself act like a big speed brake. You then lower the nose to maintain airspeed and watch the plane start descending very quickly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forward_slip#Forward-slip
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2011, 03:17 PM   #59
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I fly quite regularly. Used to be afraid of it, but I'm used to it now. I usually fall asleep as soon as I sit down, and don't wake up until we're in the air. Same with landing, I don't typically wake up until the plane touches down.

Used to take sleeping pills and guzzle booze, but I got sick of landing with a hangover. My best advice is relax, and if you think there's a problem, look at the stewardess. If he/she looks frightened, PANIC
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2011, 03:21 PM   #60
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
I am very certain that Capt. Bob Pearson had performed forward slips before. They are actually a very common maneuver for glider pilots to lose altitude quickly (it is also taught to private pilot students).

He had most certainly never forward slipped an airliner before.

Forward slips are pretty cool, you are in essence cross controlling between the ailerons and rudder to force a side of the aircraft into the direction of flight, making the plane itself act like a big speed brake. You then lower the nose to maintain airspeed and watch the plane start descending very quickly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forward_slip#Forward-slip
I was going off what I remembered from the Mayday episode, so I could be wrong. But doing such a manoeuvre in so big a plane was unheard of at that time. I do believe the Mayday episode mentions that he never had tried one, even in a glider.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote