Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:
Default Fear of flying?

Hey CP,

I am leaving for my first trip overseas on Tuesday.

I used to love flying, but when I was about 17 had a terrible experience flying Montreal to Calgary. (Turbulence, delays, sickness)

Since then I developed a fear of flying. I'm forced to travel domestically often for work, usually around Western Canada. I have found that a few good drinks can usually steady me enough to get through it. But 9 hours is a far cry from 2.

Im curious if any other CP members share this fear? Or others methods to help relax and enjoy. I do not want to let this fear stop me from seeing the world, but I also don't think it can be good to drink for 8 hours on a plane.

Any advice or personal stories?
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:47 AM   #2
Byrns
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Starnoc (sleeping pills), get some from your family doc.
Byrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:48 AM   #3
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whats scary about flying through the air at 600 mph, 10km above the earth?
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:48 AM   #4
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am confused why you think it can't be good to drink on a plane for 8 hours, better you than the pilot.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:57 AM   #5
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also have a healthy concern with flying, especially over water (they would never recover my beautiful corpse), the whole concept of it still seems amazing to me. But you have to remember that it is absolutely the safest way to travel. Statisically you can get on a commercial aircraft everyday for 1000 years and you probably won't crash. You definitely can't say the same about a car. Air Canada transports over 30 million passengers a year, and the last fatal accident was in 1983.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2011, 10:57 AM   #6
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Yeah sleeping pills could do the trick. I've heard some people just take a couple Gravol and that gets them drowsy enough to not notice and helps with any sickness you might get.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Jbo
Old 08-18-2011, 10:59 AM   #7
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrns View Post
Starnoc (sleeping pills), get some from your family doc.
I was thinking on going something more over the counter Tylenol PM or nyquil or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
I am confused why you think it can't be good to drink on a plane for 8 hours, better you than the pilot.
It might be...I guess I just dont want to land in Europe with a hangover to begin with.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:59 AM   #8
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Air Canada transports over 30 million passengers a year, and the last fatal accident was in 1983.
So they're probably due!
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2011, 11:01 AM   #9
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
I also have a healthy concern with flying, especially over water (they would never recover my beautiful corpse), the whole concept of it still seems amazing to me. But you have to remember that it is absolutely the safest way to travel. Statisically you can get on a commercial aircraft everyday for 1000 years and you probably won't crash. You definitely can't say the same about a car. Air Canada transports over 30 million passengers a year, and the last fatal accident was in 1983.
It really does seem to be an irrational fear. I've googled saftey records (I know probably not smart) and despite all the statistics is seems like you will find one or two times and just focus on them.

Flying down the road at 140km in a car?..no Problem

Flying on a commercial airline...terrifying
Old 08-18-2011, 11:01 AM   #10
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Isn't the whole "flying is safer than driving" skewed because of the fact that so many more people drive than fly? I thought I read an article that ran some numbers and they're close to equal for the risk you're taking.

I'm not sure why I'm bringing this up in a thread where a guy is scared of flying....
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:01 AM   #11
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
So they're probably due!
I think with the same logic, hopefully its not my weekly puddle jump from Calgary to Fort Mac.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:05 AM   #12
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
Isn't the whole "flying is safer than driving" skewed because of the fact that so many more people drive than fly? I thought I read an article that ran some numbers and they're close to equal for the risk you're taking.

I'm not sure why I'm bringing this up in a thread where a guy is scared of flying....
Maybe on a middle eastern/russian/african airline where the equipment is so outdated and they cut corners on maintenance. As far as western airlines go, there is little doubt its way safer than driving.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:06 AM   #13
Byrns
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-bo09 View Post
I was thinking on going something more over the counter Tylenol PM or nyquil or something.
Well if you have a company drug plan the prescription may be cheaper. Plus depending on where you're going you can get a hepatitis shot or some Dukoral for that sketchy street meat you ate.
Byrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:08 AM   #14
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

+1 for gravol. Helps the stomach and you'll pass right out. I generally have a tough time sleeping in any vehical, be it a car, bus or plane, but after a gravol I'm out cold.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:11 AM   #15
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
Isn't the whole "flying is safer than driving" skewed because of the fact that so many more people drive than fly?
Safety statistics are measured using fatalities per person-kilometre to account for this.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2011, 11:11 AM   #16
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Definite fear of flying here. I can't even get close to an airplane without throwing up from fear. I've never been on a plane before and I'm not sure how someone would get me on one short of clubbing me with a baseball bat and dragging me on.

One word of warning about getting drugs, a friend of mine who flew from Australia to Calgary got some prescription in Australia that was legal there to get through the flight but when they got here the drugs were seized since they were illegal here, prescription or not. So be careful what you get and bring since drugs can be legal in one place and not another.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:13 AM   #17
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I also have a healthy concern with flying, especially over water (they would never recover my beautiful corpse)
I hate to break it to you, but if you were onboard a commercial jetliner that crashed over land, they would never recover your beautiful corpse either. :P
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:15 AM   #18
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury18 View Post
Definite fear of flying here. I can't even get close to an airplane without throwing up from fear. I've never been on a plane before and I'm not sure how someone would get me on one short of clubbing me with a baseball bat and dragging me on.

One word of warning about getting drugs, a friend of mine who flew from Australia to Calgary got some prescription in Australia that was legal there to get through the flight but when they got here the drugs were seized since they were illegal here, prescription or not. So be careful what you get and bring since drugs can be legal in one place and not another.
The weird part for me was that I never had a fear until I had that one bad domestic flight. I obviously came through it just fine, but I always kinda remembered it in the back of my head.

I may stick with Gravol and over the counter stuff for the very reason you have above.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:16 AM   #19
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
I hate to break it to you, but if you were onboard a commercial jetliner that crashed over land, they would never recover your beautiful corpse either. :P
Its the whole being stuck 10,000 feet down with crabs picking away at me.
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2011, 11:18 AM   #20
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm terrified of flying.

You can read me any statistic you want, but I can walk away from a fender bender, I'm most likely dying in a blaze of glory in any plane crash.

To me it's more of a "claustrophobia" and "lack of any control over the situation" issue.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote