Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #141
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dunno, if you just decided you were going on a CP hiatus, wouldn't you just not post? Unless you are fed up, and want to go out guns blazing and go full meltdown (which is welcome btw for the pure entertainment value of it), I don't see much point to these types of threads.
The Yen Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #142
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
The men...That's what makes them great blokes to go drinking with.

The women...Mmmmmmmmmmm, I like Aussie women. Maybe their accents make me blind to their own scummyness, but I don't care.
This reminds me of almost every Australian girl I have met (even when they're sober):

I have never been to Australia though and any time I meet them, it is when they are tourists and tourists aren't always on their best behaviour. They also seem to do a lot of finger snapping and whistling to get the attention of waiters and flight attendants. As a Canadian, it comes across as rude, but maybe it isn't in Australia.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:22 AM   #143
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post

I have never been to Australia though and any time I meet them, it is when they are tourists and tourists aren't always on their best behaviour. They also seem to do a lot of finger snapping and whistling to get the attention of waiters and flight attendants. As a Canadian, it comes across as rude, but maybe it isn't in Australia.
I'd say that's most of it. Having lived there for a year I found the people to generally be pretty similar to Canadians, although the guys generally aren't a fan of hearing North American accents hitting on their girls, which likely explains a good portion of the distaste we have for our Australian guys too. The upside to that is once you get a few good Aussie friends you can use their accent as bait when they come over for a visit.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:18 AM   #144
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
I don't know what kind of work you're in, but if people who hold those type of warped beliefs are people you'd love to work with it sounds like a pretty miserable place, unless of course you're studying them, in which case it would be rather interesting.
Or, you're like minded and sympathetic to those views.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:35 AM   #145
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargamel View Post
Without a goodbye, I always think the worst when a regular poster just vanishes.
Well, you *are* sometimes correct - I cull the CP population when it becomes necessary, although I leave a few well-known idiots alone so that the others don't get suspicious. Some say that violence doesn't solve anything, but I find that after you are dead, the number of useless and annoying posts you can submit is greatly reduced.

Of course, the mod team will then "ban" my victims after I send them a .pm with a picture of the deceased miscreant, so that they can be sure the deed is done. i find the bounties they pay a bit smallish, but really I do the work for the sheer enjoyment of it, and to make the world a better place.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:01 PM   #146
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
maybe a form people can fill out with dates leaving and possible return date and reason leaving.
Like this?

Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #147
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
Like this?
exactly
Old 01-23-2013, 02:09 PM   #148
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Italians are only slightly better.

Only slightly.
funny, when i was in Thailand i met people from all around the world. the only 2 i would classify as A-class douchbags were an American and an Italian (the other Americans i met were great, along with all the Aussies, Irish, Scots, and English)
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #149
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Titan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2013, 12:56 AM   #150
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's true. The Dutch are awful.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:19 AM   #151
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOT View Post
I don't have a ton to say besides who cares what people on the interwebz say about anything? And why do people feel the need to announce they are leaving/taking a break?
Wall of text incoming:

When CC made his thread back in May or June I think it was, and announced his 6 month challenge, it presented a good opportunity for me as well. I was going through a very difficult time (and many of the members here were incredibly supportive and kind) and I figured it would be easier to do it then and with someone I respected, CC.... who I respect immensely. I have met the man face to face, and he is a genuine guy. Whether CC thinks the same of me? Who knows, it is not like we are close friends or anything, but I respect him. He is the real deal. It is like quitting smoking, it is easier to do with someone else.

I have also made a few good friends on this site, that I respect immensely. Some very professional people that I have a ton of admiration for. People I could only dream of being as successful and likeable as. But there was some private messages that were sent, and some things that were said by a few members, that were pretty cruel, and very out of line. I just needed a break. But simply walking away from this site was a little more complex for me than some other users.

In my 5 or so years here, I have unofficially become kinda the car 'go to guy', and I get a lot of messages, from people inquiring about general questions, and some about doing real business. That was never my intent when I joined, I joined as a Flames fan first and foremost, and never expected any more to come of it. However, as it turned out, we have helped a lot of CP members simply via word of mouth, and I did not want to:

1) leave any prospective customer in the cold.
2) Leave any existing customer in the cold.
3) Leave someones request for advice unanswered.

I give unbiased advice, and never push anything on anyone that inquires. These are the rules I imposed on myself. Don't be a fanboy of my brand. Only sell something to someone if I am approached, if someone expresses an explicit need that I have the exact solution for, just send them a soft reminder. And if I know I can help someones credit situation, (as that is my specialty), try and help so they don't get gouged by some lending shark. I couldn't just leave all that on the table.

I actually had encouraged one of my staff set up an account so he could kind take over and be the 'car advice guy'. I first considered giving him my account, but I was still getting messages from people both personal and business related so I couldn't simply hand over the keys to my login, plus it would be against the forum rules. So it was difficult, when those messages came in, to not kinda browse through the goings on and want to voice my opinion on something.... as you all know, I certainly like to do that. So for me it was a real catch 22. I really genuinely wanted to step away from this and take a break, but I am also dedicated to what I do in the real world, and could not just feel I was leaving anyone in the cold, as I genuinely wanted to help. I also didn't want to hurt my reputation, as a ton of people here know who I am and where I work. And it is also pretty easy to figure out.

I don't NEED this place, and could certainly go on without it, but I like it here. There are some incredibly unique people, some ridiculously funny people, and some brutally blunt people, but at the end of the day, no matter what, 95% of them, are good people. Whether I agree with them, or they agree with me, or not.

CC is probably one of the the most respected guys on this site. And personally, I do not feel it was out of line for a second when he announced he was taking a break. He is almost like the sites well travelled, wise uncle. And it certainly wasn't a cry for attention. Seriously if you met the guy.... you would understand that. But if he simply vanished without a trace, I would have been concerned, and I would have probably tried contacting him to make sure he was fine. I felt it was courteous.

I certainly didn't want to start my own thread, as I don't have near the respect here he does, but I felt dropping a couple paragraphs in his thread would be enough to at least let people know, that I supported him, and I was doing the same. It had nothing to do with being an attention whore, or looking for sympathy, I didn't want any. I just wanted the 20 or so people I communicate on here regularly outside of the public forums to know, and anyone looking for any advice, to know to contact someone else instead of me.

So TL;DR, but I know a lot of the little shots in this thread are about me, and rightfully so, so I felt it was only fair I offered up my side of it.

Also, I know this will come up, so I will address the elephant in the room. I am working with my employer on a some sort of financial sponsorship for the site, as I feel we should give more back than the measly personal donations I have dropped over the years.

Also I'll just get this out of the way:

pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2013, 05:46 AM   #152
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

this in no way reflects my opinion, i just thought it was funny

NSFW!
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2013, 08:39 PM   #153
BigBrodieFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
I wasn't trying to sound enlightened, just giving an imo.

That means you are prejudice. Because you think of your American friends as 'Americans,' .. and not just friends.

In all seriousness, there are a lot of very cool, enlightened, educated and respectful Americans in this country. Maybe they'd have the same sentiments about you.
BigBrodieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:29 PM   #154
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrodieFan View Post

In all seriousness, there are a lot of very cool, enlightened, educated and respectful Americans in this country. Maybe they'd have the same sentiments about you.
Oh for sure. In halls of Ivy League schools.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:20 PM   #155
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I generally find stereotypes to be correct.
Mister Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:21 PM   #156
Vox
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I kind of agree with Pylon. I don't post alot, but have been following or on the site for the better part of a decade. When certain people disappear I kind of wonder what happened.

Heck, I'm still wondering what in the world happened to Alan Caldwell.
Vox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vox For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2013, 11:53 PM   #157
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

The ultimate disappearance act is Chris Lindberg. He never came back to say he was right.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:32 AM   #158
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrodieFan View Post
That means you are prejudice. Because you think of your American friends as 'Americans,' .. and not just friends.

my friends are Canadian who have been living in AZ for almost 10 years. I don't have a problem with them at all, otherwise they wouldn't be my friends.