Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2010, 04:26 PM   #21
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilKiller View Post
Get Shaw HotHotHeat...you'll love missing Flames games throughout the year.
FYP.

Since I won't drop to the level of "Shaw sucks" as my argument, I will honestly say both have their good and bad. You will just have to weigh the good and the bad to see which would work best for you.

Shaw has some excellent customer service, luckily thats the case because you will be phoning so often wondering why the game isn't on.
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:40 PM   #22
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Personally.. I don't get the hate for Bell's customer service. I have been with them for just shy of 3 years now, and they've been fantastic every time I've called them, which is maybe 5 times.

Last winter I also pulled a threat to switch to Shaw and they gave me 50% off my programming charges.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:48 PM   #23
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOT View Post
FYP.
No, you didn't and don't change what I say man...That's not cool.

I never said that and I never would. I missed ZERO Flames games last season and the season before.

Just about every game in HD as well. As many as were available.
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:53 PM   #24
kermitology

Exp:

Quote:
I missed ZERO Flames games last season and the season before.

Just about every game in HD as well. As many as were available.
The experience was pretty much the same on Bell this past season I'd say.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:56 PM   #25
zarrell
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Personally.. I don't get the hate for Bell's customer service. I have been with them for just shy of 3 years now, and they've been fantastic every time I've called them, which is maybe 5 times.

Last winter I also pulled a threat to switch to Shaw and they gave me 50% off my programming charges.
Their deals are now over. Best they have been doing is 20% off programming. Last year I got 30% off and free HD PVR rental for a year. Called in last week and got offered 10% off the year's programming. So I'm switching to Telus satellite. I know it's just Bell being resold by Telus, but the customer service at Telus is miles ahead of Bell. And I don't like being jerked around with pricing. You offer me a discount for one year, don't expect me to stick around by jacking the price up $30 a month.

zarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:21 PM   #26
kermitology

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarrell View Post
Their deals are now over. Best they have been doing is 20% off programming. Last year I got 30% off and free HD PVR rental for a year. Called in last week and got offered 10% off the year's programming. So I'm switching to Telus satellite. I know it's just Bell being resold by Telus, but the customer service at Telus is miles ahead of Bell. And I don't like being jerked around with pricing. You offer me a discount for one year, don't expect me to stick around by jacking the price up $30 a month.
Telus is the root of all evil. I will never ever give a dime to that company if I have a choice.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:58 PM   #27
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm not worth it.

Enjoy Shaw!
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:11 PM   #28
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
What is sound dropout? I've never experienced this before? I was on standard def digital for a few years, just been on HD for the past month. I haven't experienced any issues with sound.

The new Shaw Motorola 500GB HDPVR seems very fast and well designed to me.
for awhile some HD channels would have little sound hiccups where it would cut out for a second. Like I said they almost never happen now.

My hd pvr is one i got free from Shaw. I suspect it is an older model, don't know which off hand, but it is 160gb. It is a bit slow if you manually change channels. Glad to hear the new one is faster.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:00 PM   #29
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
The experience was pretty much the same on Bell this past season I'd say.
Yup, and no one ever said it wasn't.

Hoot just likes to make things up about Shaw.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:00 PM   #30
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Telus is the root of all evil. I will never ever give a dime to that company if I have a choice.
Telus is close, but no, Bell is the root of all evil.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:07 PM   #31
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

The main reason I prefer Shaw is just that Shaw has about the best internet in town for my needs and that is much more important to me than television. As a package price, I can't beat it. Like I said before, we threatened moving to Telus TV and phone and internet and Shaw gave us all tiers, even HD and also their phone service (half the price of Rogers), and upgraded me to Xtreme internet for free. Some nights I pull 25 MBPS off Usenet.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:13 PM   #32
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think the deals Shaw will give if you threaten to move to Telus are partly dependent on how long you've been with Shaw and what package you currently have.

I've been a loyal customer for probably a decade (internet/TV) and Shaw phone for at least the last 2 or 3 years. When I called up and said Telus was making me an offer I couldn't refuse they bent over backwards with a ridiculous offer that essentially cut my bill in half and gave me a second HD/PVR for free.

When a buddy did the same thing he'd only been with Shaw for a year or two and had non HD TV and your basic internet they basically blew him off.

Essentially, if you've been with one provider forever, you can easily call them up and make up a deal that a competitor is giving you and get ridiculous savings.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:32 PM   #33
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
I think the deals Shaw will give if you threaten to move to Telus are partly dependent on how long you've been with Shaw and what package you currently have.

I've been a loyal customer for probably a decade (internet/TV) and Shaw phone for at least the last 2 or 3 years. When I called up and said Telus was making me an offer I couldn't refuse they bent over backwards with a ridiculous offer that essentially cut my bill in half and gave me a second HD/PVR for free.

When a buddy did the same thing he'd only been with Shaw for a year or two and had non HD TV and your basic internet they basically blew him off.

Essentially, if you've been with one provider forever, you can easily call them up and make up a deal that a competitor is giving you and get ridiculous savings.
That sounds exactly like my situation. Been using Shaw since it was Wave internet and then @Home, etc.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:10 AM   #34
yads
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've been with Shaw for cable for about 7 years, internet for 5 and phone for 3. We have full TV with full HD and I got an ok deal, but nothing like the $85 deal mentioned earlier in the thread (which my friend also got.)
yads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:29 AM   #35
kermitology

Exp:

Quote:
Telus is close, but no, Bell is the root of all evil.
Telus made me spend a day sitting in Drumheller after their technician didn't show up to install an internet connection, same thing in Black Diamond.

Telus mobility owes me $15 still.

Telus can burn in hell. Bell has never treated me poorly and every time I've called customer service they've been great to me.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:21 AM   #36
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Why does the Shaw guide have to show channels you don't subscribe too? I can't remember which channels.
Yes... WHY OH WHY SHAW!!??? It's no problem when I'm at my parents place but at home where I don't have the max bundle, it's a PITA!!!

But granted, I think that's a lot better than dealing with highly unstable Telus where the box freezes all the time. I've never had so many technicians working on my problem and not having it solved.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:22 AM   #37
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have had Bell (Dish) and Shaw, personally there is not allot of difference.

Main thing with Bell (Dish) is when a storm hits the signal is gone. I hated that issue, for example I was at Costco last night when the storm hit south Calgary and the signal was lost on the TVs. This always happens with a heavy rain storm or a heavy snow storm.

Bell has more HD Channels for sure, but the other channels are fairly similiar.

(i.e. I switched from Bell to Shaw, as Shaw gave me a better deal free PVR for old Bell Box etc....).

Last edited by flambers; 07-27-2010 at 09:26 AM.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:51 AM   #38
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:

My problem with Bell is that anytime I make a call to customer service I usually get the call centre in Quebec and I just have a very hard time with accents. I'm not racist and I don't dislike the french, but I just have a hard time understanding them sometimes. I only have to call them about once a year to help my parents out, so I don't have a very strong sample size to make my claim.

I threatened to leave shaw a few months ago and they gave me a killer deal (free hd pvr for 6 months and $30/month for everything sans movies). Once my 6 months were up and I called to cancel they didn't even try to keep me. I'm quite surprised they haven't called me yet to offer another deal. Perhaps no offer is coming. Hopefully they do a push in the fall ... I needs me my hockey.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:08 AM   #39
GrrlGoalie33
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prototype View Post
My wife has pointed out that on the Shaw guide, if you saw a show that had started already, and you wanted to catch it on a different channel, you just had to click the clock icon, and it would show what channel and time it was on next. With Bell, we've only been able to do this by going through the search function. Pain in the butt there.

There's pro's and con's to every company. I'm not rulling out going back to Shaw... but they're not my first choice right now.
Bell does have this...we've been missing it on Shaw...lol. On our remote it was either the * or # on the remote. It still brings up the search, but only searches for that program.
GrrlGoalie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:27 AM   #40
yads
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster View Post
Bell does have this...we've been missing it on Shaw...lol. On our remote it was either the * or # on the remote. It still brings up the search, but only searches for that program.
What? Select the show, select the clock and it shows you other times and chanels this program is on.
yads is offline   Reply With Quote