Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2013, 10:46 PM   #21
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

I bought the starter deck and a deck builders kit. Total cost came to around $40 - I've been buying my cards at imaginary games and will probably grab a fat pack when he gets more in on Friday.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:14 PM   #22
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, the MtG set they were selling at Comic-Con this year was super popular. Black variant card set that's selling for a mint on ebay.

I think I'll stick with the digital versions.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #23
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just buggin'. I have dorky things I like too.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:01 PM   #24
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

psh. Not even close to being accurate.

I don't play online...
Old 08-16-2013, 11:55 AM   #25
The Coppernian One
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Played for the first time this weekend in about 10 years. It was actually pretty fun.

Looking to buy a box of 2014 core. Is there a good site online? Local shops are charging $130 plus sales tax. Seems a bit steep.
When I've ordered in the past I've used an ebay store. Look up mirajtrading. They're good and I've never had an issue with them. I think core 2014 booster boxes were $108.63 with free shipping.
The Coppernian One is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Coppernian One For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2015, 02:50 PM   #26
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

After watching #### Magic again, I thought about giving MtG a try. I've never played it before, and truth be told, I thought it was the dorkiest thing in the world. Pogs were where it was at.

Nevertheless, is it hard to learn? Are the electronic versions of the game as good as the old fashioned board game? I saw the board game in a Target last week too, but my wife won't play with me so I didn't buy.

EDIT: I watched the Southpark episode of MtG with Chickens. Can't use the actual word without getting censored haha.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:36 PM   #27
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

I feel like that Gandalf meme is appropriate for me here...

Boardgame? There's a board game for M:tG now?

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 05:09 PM   #28
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

the MTG board game is kind of like runescape, if' you've ever played that.

MTG is pretty easy to learn if you go with the free-to-play Magic Duels on steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/316010/
Old 10-05-2015, 05:42 PM   #29
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Magic is easy to learn, hard to master, and bloody expensive if you buy either real cards or use MTG Online.

But as with the start of this thread, Duels of the Plainswalkers is cheap and covers the basics.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:52 AM   #30
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Magic is easy to learn, hard to master, and bloody expensive if you buy either real cards or use MTG Online.

But as with the start of this thread, Duels of the Plainswalkers is cheap and covers the basics.
This.

@CroFlames:
A basic starter deck is like 15 bucks I think. It's a playable deck but untweaked. Costs may sky rocket depending on how you want to customize it. HOWEVER, the biggest issue with MtG is often finding someone to play with you. They too would have to incur this cost.

As others have noted, just paying a little less and playing with virtual cards off the get go would be cheaper and probably be the better idea if you want to learn the game. If you like it, consider grabbing starter decks so you have a functional deck to play with prior to grabbing booster packs. You could even purchase multiple starter decks of differing colors and recombine them in different ways.

I just realized I think the last time I played MtG was exactly a decade ago.

Last edited by DoubleF; 10-06-2015 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Edit price.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:28 AM   #31
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

A starter pack is actually about $15. Booster packs are $5-6, and a box of 36 boosters will run you about $150.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:32 AM   #32
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I might give it a whirl on Steam then to try it out.

It sounds like you can simply outspend your opponent and win in the traditional method of playing?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:12 AM   #33
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

It sounds like you can simply outspend your opponent and win in the traditional method of playing?
Yes and no. For instance in a group of friends, if only one guy is playing competitive outside that group, it can become an issue BUT the game has always had it set up so some simpler decks can remain competitive, getting wins with the right draws.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:41 AM   #34
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I might give it a whirl on Steam then to try it out.

A deck is about synergies and efficiencies. If you're basing your plan on playing a rare card that has nothing to do with the rest of the deck, you spend lots of turns doing nothing.

As a metaphor:

The Oilers may have more high end rares, but since they don't work well with each other and the make up of the stack has very obvious weaknesses, winning may be difficult. Half the deck is full of plugs. What happens if McDavid and golden boys are sitting on the bottom of the deck? What if the other team keeps checking you and you can't deploy your super Hall and Eberle? In such a case, the opponent often might have the appropriate response to defeat you before you defeat him. You'll be lucky to be happy winning the face off.

The Flames may not have as many high end rares, but the commons/uncommons jive well with the ones that are there, thus creating a stronger stack than the sum of its parts. Sometimes you have a bad draw, but realize Jooris can/will do good work for you while you wait for Johnny to be drawn.

Don't get me wrong, rares can be a great addition to a deck. But if you take too long to set up, you'll probably lose. If you have a great start but no finish, you'll also probably lose. Having a common theme may help with synergies. Having a mishmash of random everything (regardless of pieces) will make it hard to get the full potential of your cards into play.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2015, 11:46 AM   #35
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

DoubleF has it right, but I wanted to toss in some extra thought

If you play for fun and/or don't play in sanctioned events, what you spend doesn't matter.

When you are ready to take the next step up (either to Friday Night Magic or MTGO), your budget decks will be at a disadvantage some of the time. BUT there are decent quality decks you can build on the cheap that can hold their own. Any deck can win in any matchup given the right draw - the more expensive decks are just more consistent and finely tuned. A random mashup of cards might win 20% of the time, a solid budget deck 50% and a highly tuned deck 60% of the time.

All that being said, my preferred method of play is "limited." There are two formats of limited - draft and sealed. Either way, you build a deck out of cards that you open... no pre-constructed decks here! It generally puts everyone on the same level card wise and is very much a skill testing format (card evaluation and selection, deck building, etc). Only problems with it (for new players) are that you have to buy packs ($15 to draft at a game store, chance for prizes) and that you will suck for your first few cracks at it.

I really enjoy all aspects of MTG, but prefer draft the most. So much so, in fact, that I stream it on MTGO one or two nights a week and upload the occasional draft video to youtube. And when my MTG friends get together, it's always to draft the latest set.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:12 PM   #36
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Don't they usually run sealed draft at Friday Night magic? That's the best option then its more about knowledge and deck creation and everyone has a chance to win theoretically.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:14 PM   #37
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
Don't they usually run sealed draft at Friday Night magic? That's the best option then its more about knowledge and deck creation and everyone has a chance to win theoretically.
Depends on what store. The Sentry Box does draft and sealed on friday night