Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-16-2010, 09:47 AM   #1
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:
Default Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers on Steam

Was released yesterday for $10 so I picked it up and tried it. So far have just tried the campaign mode and was pretty fun (if kind of easy on the default archmage level).

I haven't cranked up the AI level either so I can't say if it cheats or not to make it more difficult, but the AI on the normal modes was pretty decent, though I did play against one blue/black deck where the guy had brought out three howling mines (draw more cards) and my black deck had stuff in it to hurt you for discarding cards...

You unlock cards for your deck as you win, and unlock extra decks as well.

Haven't got into it yet but they have a co-op mode as well as challenges and of course a multiplayer mode.

For hard core MtG players this isn't for you since your deck construction and card selection is pretty limited, but for someone like me who used to play looong ago and just wanted to play some without having to know all the newest millions of cards and spend weeks tuning and playtesting a deck this is ideal.. some flexibility to tweak a deck but limited choices so everyone has a chance and it's fun.

So for someone who wants to play a casual game might be worth checking out.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:56 AM   #2
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to play DOTP on Windows 95,lol. I actually have every set from Legends to Nemesis and probably a couple thousand commons and uncommons packed away. My friends and I would play all night long at a Tim Hortons back in the day, good times! I don't even want to know all the crazy things cards can probably do now, I would be lost.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:02 AM   #3
Poison
First Line Centre

Exp:

Buncha dorks.
Poison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:38 AM   #4
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poison View Post
Buncha dorks.

I bought it. Like you said, the lack of customization and the clumsy interface are frustrating. I'll probably beat it and play a bit online, but overall the game won't hold my attention for very long and is an inadequate replacement for the actual game.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:19 PM   #5
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love MTG. If it wasn't for school and getting married I would probably still be collecting and playing.

I recently sold all my cards for a very reasonable price to a friend, so this might be a good way for me to play a bit without it breaking the bank. How does it compare to the old version back in the 90's?
Old 06-16-2010, 12:25 PM   #6
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
I bought it. Like you said, the lack of customization and the clumsy interface are frustrating. I'll probably beat it and play a bit online, but overall the game won't hold my attention for very long and is an inadequate replacement for the actual game.
Exactly, like I said if you know what you are doing you are going to feel like you're limited.. it's like playing in a box

So don't expect a replacement or substitute for the online game.

But for someone like me who wants to play a bit but not get raped by crazy decks with cards I've never even heard of or don't even know the abilities exist, this is perfect.

Though it would be nice to throw some howling mines into my green elf deck, I played a game against a guy with 3 howling mines out, I had an army out of like 15 creatures, all 6/6 or more.. the "burn through my deck for the right cards" strategy is a two edged sword!
Old 06-16-2010, 12:27 PM   #7
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
I love MTG. If it wasn't for school and getting married I would probably still be collecting and playing.

I recently sold all my cards for a very reasonable price to a friend, so this might be a good way for me to play a bit without it breaking the bank. How does it compare to the old version back in the 90's?
Think of it as a subset of MtG (it is a port of the XBox 360 version after all), if you can get by with comparatively few cards, then it's good fun.

But if you were really into it, you'd might find it pretty limiting.

Then again might be worth a try, for $10 that's what, 2 foil packs?

The online game is where you want to go for online play of the real thing, but that takes real $$ too.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:57 PM   #8
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I actually saw it on there when I was looking at Civ IV last night and considered downloading it... for 10 bucks I think it is worth a shot.. I never even really played MtG but I still have some old cards and I read the books.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:52 PM   #9
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post

Then again might be worth a try, for $10 that's what, 2 foil packs?

3 depending where you shop.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:42 PM   #10
Crispy's Critter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

NERDS!!!!

Crispy's Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:08 PM   #11
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Couldn't find another thread on Magic so I decided to bump this. Bought the 2014 core set and the deck builder's toolkit - further down the nerd rabbit hole I go....

Anyone else on here play?
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #12
CubicleGeek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The game runs extremely well on iOS. I bought it for my iPad.
CubicleGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #13
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I play the 2012 and 2013 version. I always wait for them to go on sale before I buy.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:44 PM   #14
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
Couldn't find another thread on Magic so I decided to bump this. Bought the 2014 core set and the deck builder's toolkit - further down the nerd rabbit hole I go....

Played for the first time this weekend in about 10 years. It was actually pretty fun.

Looking to buy a box of 2014 core. Is there a good site online? Local shops are charging $130 plus sales tax. Seems a bit steep.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #15
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Played for the first time this weekend in about 10 years. It was actually pretty fun.

Looking to buy a box of 2014 core. Is there a good site online? Local shops are charging $130 plus sales tax. Seems a bit steep.
You apparently can get them online for about $110 a couple weeks after release, but I don't know where. The only reason I know is a friend was trying to buy whatever set was just recently released and got screwed because it was an international order.

Apparently WotC is very militant about defending national distribution rights or something, so ordering here from places in SE Asia is not allowed.

I am playing again on Thursday with these guys, so I will try and remember to ask them.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:43 AM   #16
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post

I got into the game with Return to Ravnica last year.

I usually play on Fridays at a local game store (Sentry Box for drafting or Imaginary Wars for Standard).

We should organize a CP MTG group

Drafting is TONS of fun, and if we had a regular group we could get good discounts on boxes of cards to draft with on a regular basis.

Last edited by dsavillian; 08-14-2013 at 10:49 AM.
dsavillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #17
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post

You might be better off pre-ordering a box of Theros (comes out in Sept... pre-order prices are ~110 right now) or waiting for M14 boxes to get cheaper.

If you just want some cards to start a set, I can put together some of my extra commons to get you started.

Alternatively, the deck builders tool kit is pretty good, but the 2014 version contains booster packs from the 2013 set, which kinda sucks.

edit:

Another alternative is to buy a starter deck and an M14 "fat pack"

The starter decks are decent value (you get some decent rares) and a good place to start. The fat packs comes with some basic land and 9 packs of cards + a decent sized card box. Fat Packs are ~35, not sure about starter decks

Last edited by dsavillian; 08-14-2013 at 10:52 AM.
dsavillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #18
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

I posted this a while back but I'm curious if it still works this time around. I assume so?

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:01 AM   #19
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Funny this thread got bumped.. I played Pokemon with my seven year old niece last night and it got me hankering for some card games.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:06 AM   #20
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
I posted this a while back but I'm curious if it still works this time around. I assume so?

I imagine it does, yeah.

My solution is to just buy sealed boxes or single cards I'd never buy loose packs from anyone online, but I would buy them from a reputable LGS