Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2017, 01:37 PM   #41
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's definitely going to be a fun off-season, and especially for Flames fans because we happen to be positioned so well for this expansion draft. No matter who Vegas selects from our unprotected players, it's not really going to hurt all that much.

If expand again and do another one in 2-3 seasons, that one will probably sting a lot more though.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:44 PM   #42
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Treliving might even be able to snag a young stud goalie because a team protects their starter and would rather get an asset from the Flames for that goalie as opposed to losing him for nothing.

Or if that goalie is left unprotected and gets selected by Vegas, the Flames might be able to swing a trade with Vegas for that goalie because Vegas will have lots to choose from.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:46 PM   #43
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
If you were the GM of a team, would you leave it at that?
Depends on the situation, but the Flames are well positioned to leave it like that in my opinion. They aren't currently going to lose anything of great value and by some miracle the #4 defenseman that just came in and completely stabilized the defense doesn't need to be protected and can be fairly safely left to be resigned after the expansion draft because he wants to be in Calgary specifically.

Treliving does love to wheel and deal, so maybe he makes some more moves, but it looks to me like he has done his work in advance and is now ready. Let other teams scramble and if that presents an opportunity then grab it, but otherwise the Flames look like they've positioned themselves close to perfectly, so more work isn't needed.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:41 PM   #44
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I think the most interesting comment about the expansion draft was one i heard the other day while in Vegas. GM GM was quoted as saying something along the lines of those who he does pick from other teams, wont necessarily remain with LV for very long...IE; he seemed to insinuate he has multiple scenarios where he chooses a non protected player from one club, only to flip him to someone else who wants him.

If so, this thing is a LONG way off of just submitting a list of players and sitting back and watching when it comes to being a GM for an NHL club this offseason.

Really fascinating stuff is quite possible.
There is no question that there will be lots of potential opportunities for this.

However, the GM club is a fraternity and if he steps on toes, it will cost him in the long run. For instance: it's fun for fans to talk about taking a player from one team and trading them to that team's rival. But if he did that, he would be black-balled.

Nonetheless, I agree that there could be some really interesting activity.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:45 PM   #45
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

George McPhee has been around long enough to know where that line is though.

I have no doubt if presented with an offer as described he will insist on first going to the team who may be poached and see what offer they want to counter with to make sure they dont lose the player should they want to retain him. That would cover him from backlash moving forward...and really there is no black balling of gm's anymore. Players yes to a point but among each other they all know what's going on with one another for the most point.

Last edited by transplant99; 03-18-2017 at 03:47 PM.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:49 PM   #46
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
George McPhee has been around long enough to know where that line is though.

I have no doubt if presented with an offer as described he will insist on first going to the team who may be poached and see what offer they want to counter with to make sure they dont lose the player should they want to retain him. That would cover him from backlash moving forward...and really there is no black balling of gm's anymore. Players yes to a point but among each other they all know what's going on with one another for the most point.
Exactly. It's not so much that there will be all kinds of flips, I think it will be more the case that he tries to use those potential flips to gain leverage.

We shall see how successful he is.

And agreed on the first point.

But to the no black-balling of GMs anymore, I don't agree with that. What's his face down in ARI comes immediately to mind.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote