Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2017, 09:42 AM   #21
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Klimchuk can barely score in the AHL as a 22 year old. Don't think he's knocking on the door at all.

Rather have Chiasson than Klimchuk on the 4th line. Klimchuk is either going to be a top 6 player or bust. He doesn't do what you'd want from your bottom lines.
Klimmer tripled his point totals year over year in 10 less games and is/has been known for his 200 foot game his whole career. Had a bit of a hard stretch there when Stockton slumped but he's been a solid contributer all year for them:

15/16 -- 55 GP / 3 G / 6 A / 9 Pts / 10 PIMS / even
16/17 -- 54 GP / 14 G / 20 A / 34 Pts / 30 PIMS / +9

He can kill penalties and has a solid defensive skill set that I think your clearly not recognizing. Unlike Shinkaruk and Poirier, Klimchuk has taken a massive step forward this year and has leap frogged many on the depth chart and is only below Jankowski and Hathaway in terms of call ups at this point.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:24 AM   #22
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

The Hudler thing ...

clearly just speculation on my part. That's how I took the video of Bennett's 4th goal, but I certainly can't claim to know what the guy was thinking. I just thought it odd to see two guys going after an ex Calgary player in a tight time space.

the media thing isn't made up though. Wills and Kerr were certainly talking about it midway through last season when the wheels were coming off for Hudler. Doesn't mean his teammates didn't like him though.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2017, 10:31 AM   #23
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not living in Calgary I don't hear much of the local media talk. Which probably isn't a bad thing but Hudler always seemed to be engaging with fans. Who knows.

His Lady Byng season doesn't get the credit it deserves IMO. Top 10 in scoring. Led the NHL in even strength goals. Major award winner. Best season by a Flame skater not named Iginla in what, 25 years?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2017, 10:34 AM   #24
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edn88 View Post
It is funny - but I saw Bennett playing on the '4th line' as more of a shakeup and putting three vets together. Didn't see it as a demotion - especially if all four lines had more or less equal ice time.
It could just as easily be argued that it was a promotion for Chiasson and Bouma (who have played well recently) and a demotion for Versteeg and Brouwer, as opposed to a demotion for Bennett.

You would be hard pressed to find a single Flames fan that would say that Bennett has been the weak part of that line for the past 20 games. Without question, his play has improved and been solid. Hard to argue that has been 'holding back' Brouwer and Versteeg.

Though IMO, it wasn't a demotion for anyone, just the coach shaking things up a bit.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:38 AM   #25
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I'd like to see a game or two with Versteeg and Bennett getting Lazar on a line. Not saying Lazar has been great this year or that he's the ideal replacement (his possession stats in Ottawa weren't great), but maybe it would help/add.

I think the pitchforks on Verteeg may be a little unplaced though. His wowy stats show 51.81% when he's without Brouwer, and 44% with. Brouwer is 46% without Versteeg.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2017, 10:43 AM   #26
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I'd like to see a game or two with Versteeg and Bennett getting Lazar on a line. Not saying Lazar has been great this year or that he's the ideal replacement (his possession stats in Ottawa weren't great), but maybe it would help/add.

I think the pitchforks on Verteeg may be a little unplaced though. His wowy stats show 51.81% when he's without Brouwer, and 44% with. Brouwer is 46% without Versteeg.
I don't see Versteeg as a big problem either.

As for Lazar, I totally agree. Bennett needs somebody with energy to play with, as he is an energy guy as well. Lazar and Bennett could be dynamite.

And then of course, if that were to in fact work, the secret magic ingredient would be to add Tkachuk.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:52 AM   #27
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never thought it possible but the longer his subpar play continues the more likely it seems that Brouwer just may get exposed to Vegas. Flames brass may see Lazar as the long term replacement for him as well.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:58 AM   #28
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

I patiently await the playoff version of Brouwer, because this regular season one isn't very good
Old 03-18-2017, 11:32 AM   #29
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
I patiently await the playoff version of Brouwer, because this regular season one isn't very good
I hope it's the 2016 playoff Brouwer as opposed to previous versions.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2017, 11:59 AM   #30
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I never thought it possible but the longer his subpar play continues the more likely it seems that Brouwer just may get exposed to Vegas. Flames brass may see Lazar as the long term replacement for him as well.
The second they traded for Lazar I think the writing was on the wall that they were going to expose Brouwer. A playoff performance like Brouwer had last year could still change that though.

The question for me is would Vegas even take him with the way this season has gone so far?
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:19 PM   #31
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
The second they traded for Lazar I think the writing was on the wall that they were going to expose Brouwer. A playoff performance like Brouwer had last year could still change that though.

The question for me is would Vegas even take him with the way this season has gone so far?
I don't think that follows at all.

I think they acquired Lazar because they like him as a player. And they were able to acquire him at a good price.

Who they protect is a separate issue, and it is going to be more complex than a simple list of 7 forwards and 3 defensemen.

There are going to be all kinds of deals, I would think, as teams jockey for position and try to protect the players they want, regardless of the set lists.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:20 PM   #32
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post

Yeah, hard to say.

They're choices at this point look like:

Stajan
Brouwer
Bouma
Chiasson (RFA)
Bartkowski
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:27 PM   #33
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

and Wotherspoon, Shinkaruk, Kulak...

lots of choices, and it is impossible to know whether they'll want youth, experience, cap dollars, a forward, a defenseman, or who knows what other parameters, when it is time for them to make their selection from the Flames' roster.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2017, 12:28 PM   #34
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I'm not as anti-Brouwer as some, as I do see the need for intangibles. All you have to have done is played or coached hockey to know you need that certain personality in the room to get everyone on the same page.

I do think he's one of those guys.

Same reason I've defended Stajan's contract for three years. He matters to the team.

But that doesn't give him a pass, they need to do something to get him contributing, and at this point I think even if it's stable without offensive production I'd take it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2017, 12:58 PM   #35
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I don't think that follows at all.

I think they acquired Lazar because they like him as a player. And they were able to acquire him at a good price.

Who they protect is a separate issue, and it is going to be more complex than a simple list of 7 forwards and 3 defensemen.

There are going to be all kinds of deals, I would think, as teams jockey for position and try to protect the players they want, regardless of the set lists.
I don't think it's going to be any more complicated than that for most teams. The possibility of deals is out there, so the media and message boards will be awash in speculation, but at the end of the day I bet most teams will just protect 7 forwards and 3 defensemen and that's all that will happen.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:23 PM   #36
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you were the GM of a team, would you leave it at that?
Old 03-18-2017, 01:25 PM   #37
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I'm not as anti-Brouwer as some, as I do see the need for intangibles. All you have to have done is played or coached hockey to know you need that certain personality in the room to get everyone on the same page.

I do think he's one of those guys.

Same reason I've defended Stajan's contract for three years. He matters to the team.

But that doesn't give him a pass, they need to do something to get him contributing, and at this point I think even if it's stable without offensive production I'd take it.
That's a lot to pay for personality though. $8 million between those two.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:28 PM   #38
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm also a big believer in intangibles and personality, another reason why I thought Bouwmeester ended up being terrible for the team.

I can clearly see how Stajan is loved by his team and how he fits in. Not sure about Brouwer. Any insight on that, Bingo?
Old 03-18-2017, 01:28 PM   #39
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Klimchuk can barely score in the AHL as a 22 year old. Don't think he's knocking on the door at all.

Rather have Chiasson than Klimchuk on the 4th line. Klimchuk is either going to be a top 6 player or bust. He doesn't do what you'd want from your bottom lines.
Klimchuk turned 22 at the start of the month, only 18 games at that age. For all your tents and porpoises this is his 21 year season.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:31 PM   #40
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

I think the most interesting comment about the expansion draft was one i heard the other day while in Vegas. GM GM was quoted as saying something along the lines of those who he does pick from other teams, wont necessarily remain with LV for very long...IE; he seemed to insinuate he has multiple scenarios where he chooses a non protected player from one club, only to flip him to someone else who wants him.

If so, this thing is a LONG way off of just submitting a list of players and sitting back and watching when it comes to being a GM for an NHL club this offseason.

Really fascinating stuff is quite possible.