Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2017, 01:07 PM   #21
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

The team has earned some leeway, wherein they can and should rest players who are banged up. If Elliott needs another couple of days to recover, giving him Friday night off is the best way to go.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to agulati For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2017, 01:08 PM   #22
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Elliott is sick he isn't going to get sicker or be sick longer because he played an extra game...Stone maybe you rest but really the team needs a few more wins before giving guys nights off. A few more wins and its in the bag...push now, possibly rest later
Old 03-16-2017, 01:10 PM   #23
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only thing you need to consider with Elliott is if he will get other guys sick from being around the team. Clearly that is a moot point since he was on the ice today.

If he wants to play tomorrow the spot is his.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:11 PM   #24
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
If Elliott is sick he isn't going to get sicker or be sick longer because he played an extra game...Stone maybe you rest but really the team needs a few more wins before giving guys nights off. A few more wins and its in the bag...push now, possibly rest later
Have you ever been sick and been told:

"Don't get any rest."?
Old 03-16-2017, 01:13 PM   #25
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Have you ever been sick and been told:

"Don't get any rest."?
Have you never seen the documentary "Crank"?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:14 PM   #26
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

if I was brian burke I'd be doing a complete organizational review, then if there are any gaps identified I'd make moves to address them quickly and immediately

I'd be looking at everything from coaching to in-game entertainment. everyone needs to be pulling on the rope in the same direction at the same time during this crucial stretch run
Old 03-16-2017, 01:17 PM   #27
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'd hire a team of crack international mercenaries. I don't know what I'd do with them . . . yet.

but I'd have them on standby

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:18 PM   #28
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I'd hire a team of crack international mercenaries. I don't know what I'd do with them . . . yet.

but I'd have them on standby

Where is your patriotic spirit, captain? Stick to national. Bring jobs back!!
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:24 PM   #29
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

My "must-win" games this year are at least one of the LA games, the ANA game (finally break the curse and give some confidence should we face them in playoffs!) and maybe the STL game depending on how things are looking next week.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:31 PM   #30
J79
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Sorry to add to the pile-on about "must win"; however if it was "must win" you play people no matter if they are 100% or not.

That being said, I agree with not playing Elliot or Tkachuk if they aren't 100%. As much as I don't like Johnson (even before last night), Friday's game might be his best chance to pull out a win. And if that means Elliot is ready to take us down the stretch, I'd call that a better use of his talent.

Dallas will be playing their 3rd game in 4 nights, on the road, against us. They also are pretty much out of the playoffs.

Also, the goal should be to make the playoffs. Unless we end up in 5th behind LA, we will play somebody in our division in the first round. I'd rather a healthy and ready Flames team make the playoffs, than to fight our way into 2nd place and have nothing left at that point.
One of the strenghts of this team is that we don't have 1 or 2 star players we have to depend on.
Replacing a not 100% player with a player who is 100% could only benefit this team in this case (Lazar for Tkachuk)
I thought Tkachuk had his worst game as a Flame against the Bruins.
Maybe it had nothing to do with his minor injury, but it can't hurt to rest him for a game.

I say 'must win' for multiple reasons.
Cause eventhough we look like making the playoffs, we sure haven't clinched a spot... despite the euphoric mood around here the last couple of weeks.
We have to avoid this becoming a losing streak. We have to show that losing to Boston was an incident.
This team had to many highs and lows this season... This could turn into a 5 game losing streak.
I absolutely believe we will make the playoffs, but if we don't and we lose to Dallas, we all be pointing at this game mid April.
J79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:32 PM   #31
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
I worry about those LA and ANA games. LA especially. Not because of the potential loss, but because of the bloodbath. LA likes to take their pound of flesh.

The Flames were pretty banged up after that clinching game against LA in 2015.
In Chicago's 1 to 0 loss to the Ducks last week they badly outplayed and outshot the Ducks but could not solve Bernier. The Ducks made a number of blatant hits from behind that were not penalized. The league seems to permit more of that nonsense this time of year and the Kings and Ducks are prepared to dish it out. At least Regehr has retired! Flames don't have to worry about his stick work.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:35 PM   #32
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J79 View Post
I absolutely believe we will make the playoffs, but if we don't and we lose to Dallas, we all be pointing at this game mid April.
Sure, this and the other 6 or 7 games we likely lost to cause us to miss.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:37 PM   #33
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I missed last night's game. Did Tkachuk look hampered by his 'lower body' injury?
Old 03-16-2017, 01:38 PM   #34
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Elliott in, Johnson out
Stone in, Wideman out
Lazar in, Bouma out
Old 03-16-2017, 01:40 PM   #35
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Team really hasn't had many highs and lows this season if you take it into context.

First 16 games are a write off to me. New coach and system, young team, best players with new deals and the pressures of living up to them, plus they missed training camp.

Since then they are 34-17-3 with only ONE losing streak in that time. A four gamer from Jan 19th-24th.

I'm not totally comfortable yet either because I've been a Flames fan for 35+ years, but if this team can't muster 6-7 wins in the last 12 to clinch a spot it will be a massive shock.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
bax
Old 03-16-2017, 01:42 PM   #36
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It's not a must win but the Dallas game looks like the most winnable one "on paper" at any rate.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:46 PM   #37
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

We don't have many "winable" games remaining. I think you dress the best lineup to make fully sure that you don't leave any points on the table.

If the team is in a miniature slump then you dress the best lineup to compensate for the team not playing at its best. Don't take a chance with a rusty Johnson if you don't have to.

Next game is versus LA. You do not want to let friday's game slip due to giving your best guys extra rest and sub-ins (wideman, johnson, engelland playing top four) having a tough night like yesterday then going up against a desperate LA team on a two game losing streak, giving them the opportunity to help it snowball.

If Tkachuk, Elliott, Stone are all good to go, then you get them in.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:47 PM   #38
getoverit
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Dallas is a must win IMO, we have to beat the crappy teams, we still have too many games with teams above .500 so we have to take advantage of it

Yes teams win streak is over, but Moose's win streak is very much alive. we believe
getoverit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:52 PM   #39
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

must1
[muhst]
auxiliary verb
1. to be obliged or bound to by an imperative requirement:
I must keep my word.
2. to be under the necessity to; need to:
Animals must eat to live.
3. to be required or compelled to, as by the use or threat of force:
You must obey the law.

Hmm. Don't think so.
Big game to see how they bounce back but not a must win..
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2017, 01:56 PM   #40
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
This. If they can all but wrap up a spot in the next 6 games by taking say 4 and a loser point or something, then they can give the odd core player that's banged up alternating nights off for maintenance and give Lazar, Hamilton their chances to make an impression down the stretch while just battling for positioning at that point. And honestly, it's far from the end of the world to me if they end up in WC1, given that I think with the way the Ducks are playing, they'll have home ice vs whichever Alberta team slots in #3.

If we can't land home ice, I'd prefer to play San Jose/Minnesota.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote