Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2017, 09:56 AM   #161
Cactus Jack
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
wtf game did you all watch? Chad Johnson was the reason we lost? The bruins goalie was attrocious as well.

Things that were bad in the game:
- Flames PP
- Flames passing
- Flames breakout
- Flames positioning
- Flames skating
- Flames communication

Chad didn't do the flames any favours, and he let in a couple weak ones, but they played bad as a team. Hamilton's and Chiasson's goals were both softys.
We shouldnīt get too negative given our record the last month and it was not just Johnson - give Boston credit. Their PK, defensive coverage and puck pressure were awesome. The Flames couldnīt even enter the zone without an active stick putting them offside or turning the puck over.

That was the first time in a long time I didnīt really notice Tkachuk. Maybe it would have been better to rest him and let Bennett or Lazar play that style for a night.

Johnson did stink. Even if he only lets in one stinker, itīs a 3-2 hole we could climb out of. Itīs the kind of game where we shouldīve gotten a loser point but didnīt. Goaltending was the biggest factor in that regard.

Terrible zone entries by Gaudreu and Brodie. I know we were behind and looking for more offence but Engelland and Wideman need to be more aware in those situations. After that we were done and buried.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:19 AM   #162
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
Brouwer doesn't pass the eye test. Don't care much about corsi, but I'm sure his was terrible again today. I've bitten my tongue about him lately as he hasn't hurt the team at all, but this guy better deliver in the playoffs.

Didn't like his embellishment on that high stick, either.

I get that Brouwer has become the new whipping boy on CP and it's the "in" thing to complain about but come on.

Didn't like his embellishment? It's a natural reaction to pull your face away after getting whacked in the chin with a stick. That wasn't embellishment in the slightest
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2017, 10:43 AM   #163
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's been so long since we lost. Does Gaskal put together an ATL during losses? Which post # was it?
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:55 AM   #164
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlord View Post
It's been so long since we lost. Does Gaskal put together an ATL during losses? Which post # was it?
Nope, no ATL for losses
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:56 AM   #165
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Brutal game but needed to happen. Better sooner than later. The important thing now is how the team responds on Friday. Do they start a new winning streak or a losing streak.... Guess we will find out tomorrow...
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:00 AM   #166
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

At the end of the day, they simply lost a hockey game. It happens, its not life changing or devastating, unless they can't get off of the mat. If they come out and poop the bed against Dallas, then we can talk.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2017, 11:06 AM   #167
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
...Next game is a must win though to not let this loss cascade into others.
Yeah, the Flames were not very good and the loss is disappointing. Johnson did not play well, and the team struggled to break the Bruins' stifling neutral zone trap.

But let's not get carried away. The Flames could lose tomorrow and still end up with a top three position in the Div. come playoff time. They have managed to keep skids to only a game or two for the most part, so I am confident that they will start winning again before the end of the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:08 AM   #168
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Funny that Eklund says the Flames are at risk of missing the playoffs. I just can't see LA (who lost tonArizona in a SO) is going to catch up at this point. I am hoping they are out and buried by next week
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:31 AM   #169
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
I get that Brouwer has become the new whipping boy on CP and it's the "in" thing to complain about but come on.

Didn't like his embellishment? It's a natural reaction to pull your face away after getting whacked in the chin with a stick. That wasn't embellishment in the slightest
Hell, at the local arena my head snaps back if a puck hits the glass in my kid's practice, especially if I don't see it until the last minute.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
bax
Old 03-16-2017, 11:52 AM   #170
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Losses happen. But it would be really nice to win the next game and avoid any thoughts of a losing streak. Not must win but they are all important right now.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:48 PM   #171
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Man, you'd never know they just came off a 10 game win streak.

I guess it's how they lost that is driving the malcontent. They weren't very good last night, that much is obvious. Johnson was bad and the PP let them down. It looked bad early on too. Passes were not connecting and they didn't have the jump that they needed. I really think those goals were more deflating than the team is willing to admit. Against Winnipeg, they started poorly as well. But once they got their legs going they took over the game. There were signs early on in this one that they were getting their game legs, but those goals derailed any sort of push that they could muster.

I would have liked to see some more fight. It's almost like they were content with the winning streak and just didn't want to muster up the fight needed to get back into this game.

Everything gets magnified after a loss, and I can jump on the fanboy apologist band wagon with the best of them. But Brouwer has been invisible. I don't care about the contract or the term or whatever. Right here and now he has done next to nothing. Bouma and Chaisson have been better than him. He has the experience and ability to drive that 3rd line and he's doing jack squat.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:49 PM   #172
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Funny that Eklund says the Flames are at risk of missing the playoffs. I just can't see LA (who lost tonArizona in a SO) is going to catch up at this point. I am hoping they are out and buried by next week
We can secure our own playoff spot by beating them in our remaining games. That should be enough on it is own as long as the Flames don't completely fall apart. Magic number is 9. We beat them in the 3 meetings and we only need to get 3 more Flames wins / LA losses to clinch.

What will be a dog fight down to the wire is the positioning as we're only 3 points up on the Blues if they win their game in hand. We can finish any where from 2nd in the division to the final wild card spot.

Last edited by polak; 03-16-2017 at 12:53 PM.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:52 PM   #173
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
We can secure our own playoff spot by beating them in our remaining games. That should be enough on it is own as long as the Flames don't completely fall apart. Magic number is 9. We beat them in the 3 meetings and we only need to get 6 more Flames wins / LA losses to clinch.

What will be a dog fight down to the wire is the positioning as we're only 3 points up on the Blues if they win their game in hand. We can finish any where from 2nd in the division to the final wild card spot.
If we beat LA those 3 times it reduces the number by 6, not 3.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2017, 12:53 PM   #174
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
If we beat LA those 3 times it reduces the number by 6, not 3.
Oh yeah good point!
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:00 PM   #175
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames were off all night. I lost track of how many breakout passes were picked off - very different from the possession machine we saw most of the streak. Pretty likely Elliott could have gotten them to OT though, so Johnson is reason #1 why they lost, but overall not a great game on any front.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:57 PM   #176
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sure Johnson didn't have the best game but it didn't matter. We just straight up got beat. Out shot, out chanced, out passed, out hustled to the puck, and out face off'ed.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:01 PM   #177
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Team just came off 10 game win streak, loses one, and the sky falls on CP.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2017, 02:13 PM   #178
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Team just came off 10 game win streak, loses one, and the sky falls on CP.
When it gets to 10 wins, you get hooked and really want to see it extended because it's a special thing. I'm not surprised about the disappointment, given how the game went down. We're so used to seeing the Flames push back when they get down and it was the first time in a while they went out without much of a fight.

But I don't think that's the case. Or at least hope not. The impressiveness of a 15-3-1 stretch shouldn't be lost on any one, and they can make it 16 in 20 on friday which is a quarter season sample size and large enough to be indicative of a good team playing good hockey more than a team just getting hot.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 04:17 PM   #179
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Had to take a night off from CP and not think of the game because admittedly I was a little annoyed at the loss. Not the fact that they lost, I mean obviously they were going to lose another game but the way they did it.

I would certainly say they just didn't seem to be clicking or playing with energy the entire night. Johnson letting in 2 terrible goals certainly didn't help, he was shaky all night. Faceoffs definitely played a factor though and it was noticeable. I think they lost every single draw in the offensive end on the PP and as a result could not figure out how to enter the zone against a very good Boston pk.

O well... move on and hope for a better and healthy Elliot come tomorrow.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote