Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2017, 11:13 AM   #41
Skaloper
First Line Centre

Exp:

I say be patient with him. If he can develop similar to Backlund it will be worth the wait and there is no reason to rush him.
Skaloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:18 AM   #42
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Unreal how impatient people are considering how Backlund has developed.

Points are not everything. It is undeniable that the skill is there, but I'd much rather have Bennett learn to play a complete game combined with the edge he obviously has than be a one dimensional offensive player.

Hockey is more than just putting the put into the net. Unless we should transition into being the Oilers.

Last edited by Azure; 03-12-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2017, 11:21 AM   #43
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Saw the title and guessed that Par created it... surprise surprise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-2017, 11:31 AM   #44
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

It takes longer to develop players when your systems and coaches change consistently....use our team as an example....using Backlund as the player.

Took a whole lot longer than people may have wanted but he started with Darryl and today has Glen.....several different coaches in between but yet you always heard opposing players and coaches league wide say they knew how good Backlund was.

They were right.

Bennetts no different but accelerate his ascension if we can keep this system and these coaches ....Bennett is going to be a great player.

Even better if any of what Tkachuk has rubs off on him.....looks like he's got a little Ferlund running through his veins and now look at #79.

Exciting times watching the ascension of our young players develop under a what looks to be up and coming coach.

Without injuries we'd be in great shape and that's all that's holding us back.

Sam's probably his own worst critic and likely doesn't need extra criticism.....I like Sam , allot.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:33 AM   #45
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Unreal how impatient people are considering how Backlund has developed.
Bennetts career so far: 29 goals + 30 assists = 59 points in 145 games (as a 20 years old)
Backlunds first 3 years: 15 goals + 31 assists = 46 points in 138 games (as a 23 years old)

I think some people forget how young Bennett still is and that he effectively lost a whole year of development. He'll be fine. Not every young player comes into the NHL guns blazing like Tkachuk.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2017, 11:33 AM   #46
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's now obvious to me that Bennett has a role as an enforcer at the very least.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:13 PM   #47
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The real question is going to be:

If Sam Bennett struggles in the playoffs and hurts the team in the process, how many people are willing to abandon the idea of "keeping him at center?" For me personally, when it comes to winning playoff games, it trumps any personal investment of a player.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:34 PM   #48
SOMBRI2
First Line Centre

Exp:

He fights like a Gilmour

What were you doing when you were 20?
SOMBRI2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:36 PM   #49
Soliak
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post

If Sam Bennett struggles in the playoffs and hurts the team in the process, how many people are willing to abandon the idea of "keeping him at center?" For me personally, when it comes to winning playoff games, it trumps any personal investment of a player.
Who are you going to replace him with though? It's not like we are going to call up Janko to place #3 C in the playoffs. He'll be fine playing there.

I think after reading through everyone's comments the truth is probably in the middle. The kid is young and will only get better but there is absolutely no guarantee he ends up as a 1st line centre. I mentioned in another thread that Kadri could legitimately be his ceiling. If he ends up that good I think we should be happy, not elated, but happy. I'm in the cautiously optimistic crowd myself.
Soliak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:13 PM   #50
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliak View Post
Who are you going to replace him with though? It's not like we are going to call up Janko to place #3 C in the playoffs. He'll be fine playing there.

I think after reading through everyone's comments the truth is probably in the middle. The kid is young and will only get better but there is absolutely no guarantee he ends up as a 1st line centre. I mentioned in another thread that Kadri could legitimately be his ceiling. If he ends up that good I think we should be happy, not elated, but happy. I'm in the cautiously optimistic crowd myself.
Depending on how Lazar plays, I could see any combination of him, Stajan or Freddie Hamilton as the bottom 2 centers. I don't see Jankowski playing above any of the 3 I mentioned. If anyone remembers the 2015 playoffs, Sam Bennett played wing and was one our best forwards of that first round.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:26 PM   #51
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The future of Sam Bennett

Quote:
Depending on how Lazar plays, I could see any combination of him, Stajan or Freddie Hamilton as the bottom 2 centers. I don't see Jankowski playing above any of the 3 I mentioned. If anyone remembers the 2015 playoffs, Sam Bennett played wing and was one our best forwards of that first round.

None of those players are better than Bennett. Stajan is where he should be. No higher. Hamilton is the 13th forward - if he was a better centre than Bennett, he'd already be playing. Lazar? Talk about mixed up expectations. Bennett has been significantly better than Lazar has been this season. Even if Bennett struggles, none of those options are improvements.

Bennett "struggling" (aka - developing) this year in the 3rd centre spot has us in 2nd in the division.

Last edited by ComixZone; 03-12-2017 at 08:28 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2017, 08:31 PM   #52
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could see that Bennett line being absolutely huge for the Flames in the playoffs. Bennett is a fierce competitor and I could see him elevating his game in the postseason. Brouwer and Versteeg have both won cups and are perfect wingers for Benny right now good solid vets. I have a good feeling about Brouwer and Versteeg in the playoffs as well.

I want Lazar to work his way on to the 4th line for the playoffs as I could see him, Stajan, and Bouma/Hathaway providing depth scoring as well.

The fact Backlund has raised his game so much this year allows Bennett to come along a little slower.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:49 PM   #53
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett's been kind of buried playing with Brouwer and Versteeg and getting no time on the powerplay. Neither of them have done much at all 5 on 5 this season but that line hasn't been bad as no line is costing the team any games, they just haven't been lighting up the lamp. Not worried in the least about Bennett as he's going to grow into being an NHL center and one day have some solid wingers to complement him. Kid is only 20 years old for crying out loud and Gaudreau at that time was in his 2nd year of college while Bennett is in the NHL.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2017, 08:54 PM   #54
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Agree with all the posters propping Bennett. Watching him during the streak and I think he is a bright spot. Playing smart responsible tough minutes, fighting like a champ, PK.

He's contributing right now and the future will only be brighter.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:23 PM   #55
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Who do you suggest we replace him with? I think he is doing a fine job and probably doing exactly what the coaches have asked him to do. I am curious, in what way do you suggest he is going to hurt the team?

nm saw your response after I posted.

Last edited by DazzlinDino; 03-12-2017 at 09:26 PM.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:53 PM   #56
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

With Backlund, i think the impatience was because what he did wasn't really seen by casual fans...

his fancy stats were really good, as many have stated: fans were just expecting him to be a scorer right off the hop.

As others have mentioned, Bennett has a chance of being a really important player for us, but he he isn't going to be a scorer like Gilmore, but he could be as difficult as Dougie was to play against.

Think Mike Peca, or a Backlund with an edge to his game...

That would be awesome imo
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:53 PM   #57
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Yes.

Replacing Sam Bennett with one of two guys who have been in and out of an NHL lineup the entire season while scoring 1 point each is a fabulous, fabulous idea for the playoffs.

Just fabulous.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:54 PM   #58
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMBRI2 View Post
He fights like a Gilmour

What were you doing when you were 20?
Less weed.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:35 PM   #59
FiveSeven
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Can he score goals? -> 4 Goal Game
Can he fight? -> Trouba
Can he play physical -> List of massive hits and battles
Can he sometimes make dumb plays? -> 2nd year, lost one year of development. 20.
Are his points low? -> re: above & less than ideal linemates. Not a great excuse though.

Is his effort a problem? Never. You see him giving it 100% in every area of the ice.
He has the skill but lacks the confidence.
His passing/vision needs some work but otherwise I think its just confidence and strength/speed (off ice stuff)
Old 03-12-2017, 11:30 PM   #60
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
With Backlund, i think the impatience was because what he did wasn't really seen by casual fans...

his fancy stats were really good, as many have stated: fans were just expecting him to be a scorer right off the hop.

As others have mentioned, Bennett has a chance of being a really important player for us, but he he isn't going to be a scorer like Gilmore, but he could be as difficult as Dougie was to play against.

Think Mike Peca, or a Backlund with an edge to his game...

That would be awesome imo
Doug Gilmour had less goals and assists in the NHL by age 20 than Bennett.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote