Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2017, 10:51 PM   #21
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
Benn-McDavid-Seguin
Tavares-Scheifele-Stamkos
Drouin-Toews-Duchene
Marner
Looks pretty good aside from Drouin and Marner. I know they'll want some pure wingers, but they can do better. Jeff Carter for one (I know he plays centre now, but he might be even better on the wing), and then the last spot would be a toss up...I'd go with Wayne Simmonds.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2017, 11:35 PM   #22
simonarea
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I am gonna do my best to make it to Korea next feb! Korea is in the same pool as Canada and it will be once in a life time thing. Korea worked their butt off in last few years to get promoted to higher league. The team is led by Jim Paek (head coach... remember him with the penguins?). I think Richard Park (remember him?) was helping out the team as well
Woohoo!!!! I hope I get to watch tons of hockey games!
simonarea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:55 AM   #23
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonarea View Post
I am gonna do my best to make it to Korea next feb! Korea is in the same pool as Canada and it will be once in a life time thing. Korea worked their butt off in last few years to get promoted to higher league. The team is led by Jim Paek (head coach... remember him with the penguins?). I think Richard Park (remember him?) was helping out the team as well
Woohoo!!!! I hope I get to watch tons of hockey games!
While I appreciate your enthusiasm, Korea is ranked 23rd in the world and is going to get absolutely smashed in every game even if NHLers don't go. While I understand allowing the host team a spot, the tournament would be much better off with Belarus, Latvia or Denmark all of which would be competitive with a small potential for an upset. At least in 1998 the tournament had a qualification round so Japan wasn't totally embarrassed.

The Women's tournament will be even worse with Korea ranked 24th. They won't have to play Canada or the USA though.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:30 AM   #24
Samuelsson
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
While I appreciate your enthusiasm, Korea is ranked 23rd in the world and is going to get absolutely smashed in every game even if NHLers don't go. While I understand allowing the host team a spot, the tournament would be much better off with Belarus, Latvia or Denmark all of which would be competitive with a small potential for an upset. At least in 1998 the tournament had a qualification round so Japan wasn't totally embarrassed.

The Women's tournament will be even worse with Korea ranked 24th. They won't have to play Canada or the USA though.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:11 AM   #25
Jetfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post

I really look forward to seeing S. Korea play too, of course they're going to get steamrolled, they most certainly realize it too, their all-time worst loss was 27-0 to freaking Latvia, but these are men who are going to go out and put forth their very best effort for their country, playing way out of their league. I'm going to be cheering for them just to score even a few goals in the tournament. Once in a lifetime stuff.
Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:19 AM   #26
Samuelsson
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetfire View Post
I really look forward to seeing S. Korea play too, of course they're going to get steamrolled, they most certainly realize it too, their all-time worst loss was 27-0 to freaking Latvia, but these are men who are going to go out and put forth their very best effort for their country, playing way out of their league. I'm going to be cheering for them just to score even a few goals in the tournament. Once in a lifetime stuff.
Exactly. The Olympics aren't just for the spectators, but the athletes participating too. They'll likely never get this opportunity again, so for some (what I assume are) part-time players, suiting up against the stars of the game must be awesome. I'll be cheering for them.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:38 PM   #27
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yesterday, Bettman said that they're focused on having a schedule for next season that doesn't include an Olympic break: https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-focused...cs/c-287506900

I guess the question now is if they're just playing hardball with the players trying to get a concession from the PA because they know the players really want to go, or if they're serious about not going?
Old 03-12-2017, 03:17 PM   #28
The Professor
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Anybody catch what Friedman was saying on HNIC? Something about a planned meeting getting cancelled. I thought their points about the younger generation growing up with Olympics being just one step down in importance from the Stanley Cup was interesting.
The Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:25 PM   #29
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was funny last night when Don Cherry on Coaches Corner said he has no interest in the NHL players going to the Olympics. He is clearly out of touch with the players themselves who do want to participate. Even Sidney Crosby in After Hours reiterated his desire to see the NHL players participate.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:11 PM   #30
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't have a problem with the NHL skipping the Korea games and sticking it to the IOC. Revisit the Olympics when it's in China. The players need to stop pouting, they are making a lot of money to play in the NHL, that should be their #1 priority.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:18 PM   #31
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am on the owners and NHL's side on this one, I don't think the NHL should go. Why should the owners allow their star players whom they have committed millions of dollars to, go and possibly get hurt?
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:28 PM   #32
The Professor
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I am on the owners and NHL's side on this one, I don't think the NHL should go. Why should the owners allow their star players whom they have committed millions of dollars to, go and possibly get hurt?
Yeah, sure, and if I was an owner I'd agree 100%. As a fan though I'm hoping they can overcome the hurdles and we see some best on best hockey next winter!
The Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Professor For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2017, 02:33 AM   #33
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

All I want to see is best on best hockey. It makes no difference to me whether the IOC, NHL, or IIHF hosts the tournament, as long as it's open to all countries and has qualifying/promotion/relegation for each team.

The ideal solution, of course, would be to move the World Championships to a time when everyone could play. Obviously, you would need to increase the prestige of the tournament as well so that very few players would trun down an invite.

Team Europe and NA were fun but they distract from the purpose of the competition, and that's finding out who's the best.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:30 AM   #34
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would love to see NHLers at the 2018 Olympics I but am not confident after some of the comments I am hearing.

Also, I think we would all be okay with no Olympic best on best hockey if the last World Cup wasn't so gimmicky and anti-climactic. Schedule a real World Cup alternating between Europe and North American every 4 years with a qualification process and the Olympics won't matter anymore.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:05 AM   #35
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
NHL will be there, exposure in Asia is too good to pass up. Flames will go, though probably none for Team Canada (Hamilton best bet). As far as Team Canada goes, I'll guess....

Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
Benn-McDavid-Seguin
Tavares-Scheifele-Stamkos
Drouin-Toews-Duchene
Marner

Burns-Weber
Doughty-Keith
Vlasic-Pietrangelo
Subban

Price
Holtby
Dubnyk

Canada actually has goalie depth this time, so not only will it not be Mike Smith getting a free medal, gonna be a tough final choice between Dubnyk, Martin Jones, Cam Talbot, maybe even Corey Crawford.
I think I might have to loose my patriotism if I have to cheer for a flameless team canada with McDavid on the team.

Team USA with Gaudreau and maybe even Tkachuk is a nice option
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:27 AM   #36
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

How does international play work in European Football ? Those guys are always playing on their countries teams, even though they are committed pros.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:38 AM   #37
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
How does international play work in European Football ? Those guys are always playing on their countries teams, even though they are committed pros.
One league match per week, that's how it works. In the EPL they have a 38-game season spread out over nine months. That leaves plenty of time during the season for international play and even friendlies.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:46 AM   #38
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

No NHL won't go

I suspect there will be NHLers that will play, they will be suspended when they leave for the Olympics (i.e. Malkin etc..)
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:52 AM   #39
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
No NHL won't go

I suspect there will be NHLers that will play, they will be suspended when they leave for the Olympics (i.e. Malkin etc..)
It is my understanding that if any player chooses to try and go to the Olympics without NHL approval they will be suspended immediately and the IOC will recognize that suspension and they will be ineligible to play anyhow. I can't remember where I read that.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:52 AM   #40
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
No NHL won't go

Followed by massive riots in multiple cities and a decade long lockout, the NHL will never be the same after the 2018 Olympics.
Looch City is online now   Reply With Quote