Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 11:38 AM   #41
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
What black box is GG using to come up with line combos and parings? He doesn't exactly go with the obvious (Brodie/stone).

How is Brodie/Stone "obvious"? Having never seen them paired together it is uncertain how they will play.

My guess is that Gulutzen is easing the new guys in: the top two pairs will get big mins and Bartkowski and Stone will have opportunities to move up the lineup as they become more comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2017, 11:40 AM   #42
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
A big 8-3 victory for my Birthday!
You're old.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2017, 12:12 PM   #43
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What black box is GG using to come up with line combos and parings? He doesn't exactly go with the obvious (Brodie/stone).
I think this is the right move. Stone with be paired with Brodie at some point there is no doubt but a measly morning skate is not enough to jump into the top 4. The fact Bart is also new to the team I would be uneasy with 2/3 of the pairs having guys that are new to the team. Put them on the third pair and let them play. After a couple practices Stone is going to be with Brodie
Old 02-21-2017, 12:12 PM   #44
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would imagine he doesn't want to throw Stone into the top 4 with such little time to get acquainted with the system. I'm sure once Stone is more familiar, he'll be moved around to see if he can fit in the tope 4.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:15 PM   #45
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Calgary Flames @NHLFlames
Johnny bringing the heat! #13's wrister cracked the glass this morning.

Ugh, still missing the net, I see. Gotta get that shooting-percentage up, Johnny, we need you!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shadowlord For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2017, 12:18 PM   #46
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just hope the Flames can score more than 1 goal. If they can do that, they'll probably win. Tonight would be a good time for the PP to get hot again.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:19 PM   #47
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
How is Brodie/Stone "obvious"? Having never seen them paired together it is uncertain how they will play.

My guess is that Gulutzen is easing the new guys in: the top two pairs will get big mins and Bartkowski and Stone will have opportunities to move up the lineup as they become more comfortable.
I guess we'll see but I would have thought pairing each with a vet, atleast during 5 on 5, would have been more of an easing in. Wouldnt be surprised if Stone and Brodie are together by end of the game.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:22 PM   #48
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlord View Post
Ugh, still missing the net, I see. Gotta get that shooting-percentage up, Johnny, we need you!
Technically that wouldn't change his shooting % as missed shots aren't part of the calculation. In hindsight it should probably be called scoring %.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:22 PM   #49
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would actually feel like a stud if I cracked the glass with a shot.

Hopefully Johnny is the same and gets a small confidence boost and puts a couple away tonight.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2017, 01:00 PM   #50
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post

Who is more obvious as a top 4 minute guy over the last couple years? Stone or Engelland? What has been the obvious gap in the blue line so far this season? 5/6 guy on the right side? Not really right? That's kind of how Brodie/stone is obvious.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:06 PM   #51
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I would actually feel like a stud if I cracked the glass with a shot.

Hopefully Johnny is the same and gets a small confidence boost and puts a couple away tonight.
55 Flex baby! Hope the Gaudreau monster finally gets unleashed for good tonight:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2017, 01:09 PM   #52
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
I just hope the Flames can score more than 1 goal. If they can do that, they'll probably win. Tonight would be a good time for the PP to get hot again.
If you saw the Preds last game (a victory over Columbus) you might adjust that goal total upwards.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:12 PM   #53
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Bennett gets Chaisson and Versteeg at linemates he earns a 2 week voucher for immunity from any complaints about his game.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:21 PM   #54
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hopefully the flames get the powerplay going again. I've been fairly happy with versteeg this season but he seems to be shooting the puck too much from his side on the powerplay. It's made the powerplay a little more predictable lately. Seems like he moves in and shoots every time and it either misses, gets blocked, or is an easy save. Needs to start moving the puck a bit more.

Both versteeg and frolik seem to really like to shoot the puck... even when other/better options are available. Small critique though considering both guys have been solid this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2017, 01:22 PM   #55
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bet on the preds tonight, so enjoy the Calgary win!
Old 02-21-2017, 01:34 PM   #56
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
Hopefully the flames get the powerplay going again. I've been fairly happy with versteeg this season but he seems to be shooting the puck too much from his side on the powerplay. It's made the powerplay a little more predictable lately. Seems like he moves in and shoots every time and it either misses, gets blocked, or is an easy save. Needs to start moving the puck a bit more.

Both versteeg and frolik seem to really like to shoot the puck... even when other/better options are available. Small critique though considering both guys have been solid this season.

I think Gio would be perfect in that spot -- blasting one-timers from Brodie from the middle point and Gaudreau from the other side. The only downside is that you're left with Dougie and ? on the second unit. Any chance Bartkowski can play some PP?
Old 02-21-2017, 01:43 PM   #57
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Gaudreau gets a hatty tonight. We rejoice as he leads us to the post season
Old 02-21-2017, 01:45 PM   #58
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
I think Gio would be perfect in that spot -- blasting one-timers from Brodie from the middle point and Gaudreau from the other side. The only downside is that you're left with Dougie and ? on the second unit. Any chance Bartkowski can play some PP?

That is an option for sure. Though I do like the idea of someone with skilled playmaking abilities like versteeg in that spot. Would just like him to use those abilities a bit more instead of always shooting. If that point man is just going to shoot then yes, I would prefer gio or iginla (Yes please) on that side.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:46 PM   #59
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

How I currently feel about the Flames forward groups.

Blue = needs to play further down the line-up.
Red = needs to replaced.
Purple = needs to be improved upon in the off-season.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Brouwer
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Versteeg - Bennett - Chiasson
Bouma - Stajan - Ferland
Old 02-21-2017, 01:48 PM   #60
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am still dumbfounded at why our genius of a coach continues to play Alex Chiasson ahead of Micheal ferland on the depth chart.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 02-21-2017 at 01:51 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
flames @ predators