Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2017, 02:43 PM   #61
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just going by the eye test Johnny has looked a little slower this year. I truly think a skilled right handed winger would do wonders on that line. But that will not be cheap so I'd be worried about what we have to give up to get a player like that.
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 02:49 PM   #62
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoller View Post
Just going by the eye test Johnny has looked a little slower this year. I truly think a skilled right handed winger would do wonders on that line. But that will not be cheap so I'd be worried about what we have to give up to get a player like that.
That is one thing I noticed too.

IMO Part of that is him maybe not being at 100% fitness (missing training camp and getting injured never helps).

But part of that is also the system. Instead of the long stretch passes and breakouts that would mean he was attacking with a head of steam, we now breakout as a team, meaning the other team has more time to get back and is more set up to slow Johnny down at the opposition blueline.

I think one he adjusts to that a bit, and gets back into 100% shape it will be fine.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 02:52 PM   #63
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealpineoracle View Post
teams have forced him to the perimeter and he hasn't been able to adjust. That said, it's easy for teams to isolate him when they don't have to worry about the right wingerr.
this
Old 02-21-2017, 02:56 PM   #64
Teroy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I think one he adjusts to that a bit, and gets back into 100% shape it will be fine.
If he isn't in shape by now he'll never be in shape. I don't see a long future for him. He's too easy to separate from the puck; not very strong on his feet and at the price he's being paid should be leading the line not relying on a RW to carry him.
Teroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 03:06 PM   #65
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
That is one thing I noticed too.

IMO Part of that is him maybe not being at 100% fitness (missing training camp and getting injured never helps).

But part of that is also the system. Instead of the long stretch passes and breakouts that would mean he was attacking with a head of steam, we now breakout as a team, meaning the other team has more time to get back and is more set up to slow Johnny down at the opposition blueline.

This.

This x 100000.

Instead of catching defenders trying to get back, they're all waiting for him and can easily poke check or push him off the puck. GG needs to adjust. Imagine where this team would be if we had Johnny at his level of last year.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 03:10 PM   #66
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
This.

This x 100000.

Instead of catching defenders trying to get back, they're all waiting for him and can easily poke check or push him off the puck. GG needs to adjust. Imagine where this team would be if we had Johnny at his level of last year.
I don't know.

I think that this way of playing is more sustainable long term.

If I had to watch another season of us firing puck after puck for an icing when looking for a stretch pass I would have lost it.

Gaudreau is a good enough player to adapt and still produce, the chances, shot quality, and shots per game haven't changed much for him even with the new system. The puck just hasn't went in which has made him look worse.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 03:15 PM   #67
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know.

I think that this way of playing is more sustainable long term.

If I had to watch another season of us firing puck after puck for an icing when looking for a stretch pass I would have lost it.

Gaudreau is a good enough player to adapt and still produce, the chances, shot quality, and shots per game haven't changed much for him even with the new system. The puck just hasn't went in which has made him look worse.
You can keep the current system and tweak it to get Gaudreau in more of those positions. Especially when we're struggling to score in a game we're losing (which is often).

It's not like every team Gaudreau has played on employed Hartleys system. He's been successful in other systems.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2017, 03:30 PM   #68
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

They could employ a system where they try and spring Johnny for an odd man rush a little more often. I know the Oilers tend to do this when McDavid is out with another centerman. They will have the other C stay low and try and spring McDavid with speed for an odd man rush.

Risky though because you can get caught odd numbered in your end.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 03:49 PM   #69
t0rrent98
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Gaudreau's doing at practice and with a Junior stick too.

CPHL Dallas Stars
t0rrent98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to t0rrent98 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2017, 04:07 PM   #70
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaudreau has to carry the puck himself far too often, and for far too long. He doesn't play with anyone who can hold the puck themselves for any significant period of time. His line is also usually pretty terrible at puck retrieval.

Johnny's got all the moves in the world. He very clearly hasn't lost the ability to stickhandle, shoot, pass, or think the game. What I haven't seen much of this year is Johnny's ability to disappear in coverage. It's the most underrated aspect of his game. He's so good on his edges, and he's so much smaller than everyone else, that it doesn't take much for him to lose a checker when he's gliding around the o-zone without the puck.

When an opponent loses track of Johnny Gaudreau, they immediately begin to scramble. In the absence of structure, the moves Gaudreau has become exponentially more difficult to defend.

Alex Chiasson isn't causing a breakdown in anyone's system. He's just not.

Gaudreau-Backlund-Frolik
Tkachuk-Monahan-Brouwer/Versteeg
Ferland-Bennett-Brouwer/Versteeg
4th line
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2017, 04:09 PM   #71
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0rrent98 View Post

Gaudreau's doing at practice and with a Junior stick too.

Intermediate damnit.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2017, 04:18 PM   #72
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Lols that still means he missed the net.

Put shots like that inside the pipes Johnny boy.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:19 PM   #73
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Lols that still means he missed the net.

Put shots like that inside the pipes Johnny boy.
How do you know he didn't put it through the net first?
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:25 PM   #74
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Gaudreau has to carry the puck himself far too often, and for far too long. He doesn't play with anyone who can hold the puck themselves for any significant period of time. His line is also usually pretty terrible at puck retrieval.

Johnny's got all the moves in the world. He very clearly hasn't lost the ability to stickhandle, shoot, pass, or think the game. What I haven't seen much of this year is Johnny's ability to disappear in coverage. It's the most underrated aspect of his game. He's so good on his edges, and he's so much smaller than everyone else, that it doesn't take much for him to lose a checker when he's gliding around the o-zone without the puck.

When an opponent loses track of Johnny Gaudreau, they immediately begin to scramble. In the absence of structure, the moves Gaudreau has become exponentially more difficult to defend.

Alex Chiasson isn't causing a breakdown in anyone's system. He's just not.

Gaudreau-Backlund-Frolik
Tkachuk-Monahan-Brouwer/Versteeg
Ferland-Bennett-Brouwer/Versteeg
4th line
I would try Tkachuk there with Johnny instead of Frolik. These two players were meant to play together.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:28 PM   #75
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
I would try Tkachuk there with Johnny instead of Frolik. These two players were meant to play together.
I don't disagree, I just don't know how willing the coaches are to move Tkachuk to his offside.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:47 PM   #76
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Burke was just on Tim and Sid and was asked about Gaudreau's struggles.

He said there no off ice issues, he shows up on time to practice, he's working hard in the gym. He's turning his game around lately and he's making an impact even when he's not scoring. He expects the points to start coming.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:03 PM   #77
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

There's no one to help him with the current system. He has to do way too much by himself. The drop pass to Wideman, Hamilton, and Giordano on the fast break has all but disappeared this year.

Flames aren't good enough of a team to play a possession game of hockey. If Backlunds line is out their with the top pairing the Flames look incredible since they are so good at that style. Problem is there are 3 other lines and 2 pairings that can't do it.

Monahan and Bennett just aren't good enough yet.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:16 PM   #78
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
Some great graphs and analysis above, thanks to all.

One thing I've noticed when re-watching AC's videos is that Johnny scored a lot more goals in tight the last couple years. Quite a few tic-tac-toe plays ended with JG finishing it off around the crease. I haven't noticed him in that area at all this year.
Who is he going to tic-tac-toe with?

There is only tic-tac, no finish.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote