Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2017, 02:44 PM   #21
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Finally, a thread to discuss GaudrWHOAS.
fyp
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlameZilla For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2017, 03:49 PM   #22
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

His shooting % is low cause his shots aren't dangerous.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 04:04 PM   #23
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
I think trading away Hudler affected both Gaudreau and Monahan drastically this year. Right now, there's a gaping hole on right wing on the first line that can't be filled by any of the players the Flames currently have.
There was a gaping hole on right wing last year, too, because Hudler's offence fell off the face of the earth. By the time he was actually traded, it was addition by subtraction – as the Dallas Stars have been finding out.

Blame Father Time for that one, not Treliving. No GM could have gone out and acquired the 2014-15 Hudler for this year's team, because that player doesn't exist anymore.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:14 PM   #24
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
I think either Tkachuk, Bennet or Ferlund with Gaudreau is something that would work better than Monny.
Sean just doesn't get to the dirty areas like those 2 and even go out on a limb and say we've yet to see the best of Tkachuk , Bennet and Ferlund.

Either of those 3 at their feisty best and maybe #13 has more time and space making hI'm more lethal.

I still think the early injury and Wideman effect hurts Johnny but it's just my kool-aid

Ferland and Tkachuk aren't centres so that doesn't exclude Monahan. Bennett is developing and should be sheltered for now. Ferland played on that line quite a bit and didn't do very well... Gaudreau and Monahan have proven to be a good combo... they just need a strong RW... either a player who gets into the dirty areas or a sniper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 04:39 PM   #25
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

With thanks to AC, this guy is on our team. And he's 23 years old. And he's sign to our team until he's 28. Not all games or months or seasons will be great. But much of it will.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:07 PM   #26
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
There was a gaping hole on right wing last year, too, because Hudler's offence fell off the face of the earth. By the time he was actually traded, it was addition by subtraction – as the Dallas Stars have been finding out.

Blame Father Time for that one, not Treliving. No GM could have gone out and acquired the 2014-15 Hudler for this year's team, because that player doesn't exist anymore.
Father Time? Regehr broke Hudler
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2017, 06:09 PM   #27
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Flames are still feeling the effects of Hudler this season and I'm not talking about his on ice play.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:34 PM   #28
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Didn't you hear? Robyn Regehr is Father Time, the Grim Reaper, and all three Fates. He is also the Terminator in his spare time.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:47 PM   #29
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWinger89 View Post
He's overrated & not the savior expected.

Can we ban this troll?

People said the thing about Crosby last year(I am not saying that Johnny is good as Crosby, just saying that good players go through these kind of things). And he came back strong. The whole team kind of sucks right now, not just Johnny.

Last edited by Par; 02-20-2017 at 07:49 PM.
Par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:49 PM   #30
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par View Post
Can we ban this troll?
Already happened.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:50 PM   #31
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Already happened.

Good.
Par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:44 PM   #32
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
broken wrist...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
right - finger, sorry
It's not clear in the article but he's talking about ONSH%, so the shooting percentage of everyone on the Flames when Gaudreau's on the ice, not just Johnny's individual shooting percentage (which is also down). Players like Gaudreau raise the shooting percentage of linemates by making plays that set them up in high-percentage scoring positions more often or have to cover him more closely, leaving linemates with more room to create chances. Which is clearly the case even this year as the Flames get a higher percentage of scoring chances with Johnny on ice compared to prior seasons - the problem is those chances aren't going in.

There are two possibilities to explain this. First, bad bounces or luck. Second, Johnny and / or his linemates have somehow lost their finishing ability - their shots are consistently less dangerous than they were before. Those factors aren't mutually exclusive, it could be a combination. But almost certainly some non-small portion of it is the former, because a run of bad bounces - even one that lasts for a large chunk of the season - happens to good players all the time.

That being said, I'd have loved to see a shot heat map for Johnny et al. compared to prior years. The scoring chances data suggests that they're still getting the good shot locations but that would confirm it at least.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:11 PM   #33
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post

I'm not blaming Tre for trading Hudler at all, but the effects of Hudler not on that line with Gaudreau and Monahan is evident. This is why it's crucial for the GM to find a complimentary player for Gaudreau to complete that first line. That missing right winger will ultimately create a bit of room for Johnny to move around, similar to what Hudler did. I'm also not saying to bring Hudler back in since the ship's sailed and he ain't getting any younger as well. It's just a big hole and it's a huge issue that's gonna get worse if it ain't fixed.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:21 PM   #34
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
That's the stick Regehr uses. The Sher-Wood Father Time.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:31 PM   #35
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick View Post
Most of the shots from his line are easy for NHL goalies to see and stop.

They need to get into the dirty areas more.
And put harder, more difficult shots on net.

A lot of very weak wristers from peripheral locations from Gaudreau lately.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:34 PM   #36
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
I think trading away Hudler affected both Gaudreau and Monahan drastically this year. Right now, there's a gaping hole on right wing on the first line that can't be filled by any of the players the Flames currently have. So, with Hudler gone, every opposition's focus is on Gaudreau. It was the same thing with Iggy, except Iggy man-handled everyone even when two or three guys draped all over him and he still scored. Flames gotta find a player to compliment Gaudreau.
i think this as well. now i dont think his linemate needs to be a $5m+ player, but it has to be someone with talent. i rly think iggy might fit here
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:35 PM   #37
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
I think either Tkachuk, Bennet or Ferlund with Gaudreau is something that would work better than Monny.
Sean just doesn't get to the dirty areas like those 2 and even go out on a limb and say we've yet to see the best of Tkachuk , Bennet and Ferlund.

Either of those 3 at their feisty best and maybe #13 has more time and space making hI'm more lethal.

I still think the early injury and Wideman effect hurts Johnny but it's just my kool-aid
It's actually a head scratcher how you could butcher the last two after nailing the first one.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:37 PM   #38
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
i think this as well. now i dont think his linemate needs to be a $5m+ player, but it has to be someone with talent. i rly think iggy might fit here
I agree. 35 year old Iggy would. Maybe even 37 year old Iggy. Highly doubtful 39 year old Iggy would though, unfortunately.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2017, 10:41 PM   #39
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I agree. 35 year old Iggy would. Maybe even 37 year old Iggy. Highly doubtful 39 year old Iggy would though, unfortunately.
agreed - not a long term fix. Actually, not even a good fit. Let me clarify my comment - could be a fit for the deadline relative to whatever we have now and the likely low cost of acquisition. Better than nothing...

I actually think the best long-term fix is Landeskog...he has hands, and a big body to create space.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:49 PM   #40
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
The Flames are still feeling the effects of Hudler this season and I'm not talking about his on ice play.
What?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote