Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 11:21 AM   #1
RedWinger89
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Calgary vs Edmonton

Hello,

Hopefully this thread won't open a can of worms. I'm a Flames fan first and foremost. Been that way since 1997. Woo hoo!!

Oilers are our rivals. However, why is the hockey culture stronger in that city vs Calgary ? You see more logos on vehicles, radio attention, fan interactions. It's really a legitimate question to ask. They sold out during ten dark years. We are averaging almost 800 below capacity for this season....

I'll probably get an infraction. However I'd prefer some honest responses without hate.

Last edited by RedWinger89; 02-20-2017 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:30 AM   #2
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWinger89 View Post
Hello,

Hopefully this thread won't open a can of worms. I'm a Flames fan first and foremost. Been that way since 1997. Woo hoo!!

Oilers are our rivals. However, why is the hockey culture stronger in that city vs Calgary ? You see more logos on vehicles, radio attention, fan interactions. It's really a legitimate question to ask. They sold out during ten dark years. We are averaging almost 800 below capacity for this season....

I'll probably get an infraction. However I'd prefer some honest responses without hate.
Because in Edmonton, like Winnipeg, and like Saskatchewan with the Riders, there is nothing better to do and they (the denizens) simply don't know any better.

It's a small town mentality. (and yes, I know the populations are about the same, but the menatlity of the residents isn't)
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2017, 11:32 AM   #3
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hello,

Lol like throwing jerseys on the ice? Actually they didn't sell out a small (by nhl standards) arena. They flukeD out and won McDavid from NHL welfare or they would be in the same spot as usual
Old 02-20-2017, 11:32 AM   #4
Fire in the disco
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Because in Edmonton, like Winnipeg, and like Saskatchewan with the Riders, there is nothing better to do and they (the denizens) simply don't know any better.

It's a small twon mentality.
Agree with this. I think Calgary might be a bit more transient than Edmonton as well. That said the Flames do have a strong fan base here, the Stampeders as well, maybe even more so.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:33 AM   #5
RedWinger89
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Mods I don't think I'm warranted of a fraction. This is a legit question.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:34 AM   #6
flamesrule14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Have you been in Edmonton the last 4-5 years? By November of each season fans didn't give a flying you know what about the team. The team can say they sold out every game, but anybody that's actually gone to the games can see they weren't sold out or even close. Even the one non flames game I've gone to this season in the new fancy arena it wasn't sold out. A lot of empty seats at the St.louis game.

I really don't think there is a difference at all. A lot of it depends on the success of the team. Oilers are playing well right now while the flames have been so up and down. Oilers are finally getting excited about the potential of the playoffs for the first time in 10 years. Of course you will notice more logos on vehicles, fan interactions. I've noticed a huge difference myself talking with friends and even just people out and about. Of course they want to talk oilers whereas years past you didn't here a peep about them at this time of the year. All about success.
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesrule14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2017, 11:36 AM   #7
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Flames have essentially sold out every year since 04. If attendance is down this year it likely has more to do with the economy and season ticket holders, corporate boxes, etc, seeing as we're fighting for a playoff spot.

Maybe don't try to cherry pick stats.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:37 AM   #8
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Honestly your posts seem pretty trollish...I have my doubts
Old 02-20-2017, 11:38 AM   #9
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

doubts?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2017, 11:41 AM   #10
RedWinger89
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesrule14 View Post
Have you been in Edmonton the last 4-5 years? By November of each season fans didn't give a flying you know what about the team. The team can say they sold out every game, but anybody that's actually gone to the games can see they weren't sold out or even close. Even the one non flames game I've gone to this season in the new fancy arena it wasn't sold out. A lot of empty seats at the St.louis game.

I really don't think there is a difference at all. A lot of it depends on the success of the team. Oilers are playing well right now while the flames have been so up and down. Oilers are finally getting excited about the potential of the playoffs for the first time in 10 years. Of course you will notice more logos on vehicles, fan interactions. I've noticed a huge difference myself talking with friends and even just people out and about. Of course they want to talk oilers whereas years past you didn't here a peep about them at this time of the year. All about success.
I've stayed in every big Canadian ( Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Montreal, Toronto) city the last four years. Went to Edmonton in 2013 and took in a game vs Panthers. There were a few empties but most fans were nice and knowledgeable. Sports radio was all Oilers and most I spoke with grew up an Oilers fan. Montreal was a whole different level..even over Toronto. Everyone had an opinion from the store clerk to the bus driver. You have to visit Montreal to see how important the Habs are. Beyond belief.

You do mention success. Maybe they sold out during lean times because of that dynasty. Who knows. Maybe more history.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:43 AM   #11
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mentions "dynasty", check. Mentions "history", check.

Waiting for Lucic as proof of a desirable UFA destination and we should be complete.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:49 AM   #12
RedWinger89
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
The Flames have essentially sold out every year since 04. If attendance is down this year it likely has more to do with the economy and season ticket holders, corporate boxes, etc, seeing as we're fighting for a playoff spot.

Maybe don't try to cherry pick stats.
Well I didn't know the Calgary economy was worse off than Edmonton. That's a legit reason. Thus the premise of my thread.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:49 AM   #13
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just looking at post history it's clear you are a troll. Years ago you mentioned that all of your family gave up seasons tickets and you understand why, and yet you are questioning why we are 800 seats below a sell out?

Only a troll continues to mention they don't deserve an infraction.

Last edited by Hockeyguy15; 02-20-2017 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:53 AM   #14
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

How has attendance been for the Edmonton Rush this year?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mister Yamoto For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2017, 11:53 AM   #15
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:54 AM   #16
RedWinger89
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Just looking at post history it's clear you are a troll. Years ago you mentioned that all of your family gave up seasons tickets and you understand why, and yet you are questioning why we are 800 seats below a sell out?

Only a troll continues to mention they don't deserve an infraction.
We all have our own opinions.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:54 AM   #17
RedWinger89
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Yamoto View Post
How has attendance been for the Edmonton Rush this year?
Who is that? I honestly have no clue...
Old 02-20-2017, 11:55 AM   #18
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

RedWinger89, you've been stuck on this attendance obsession for 3 years now. Half or more of your 45 total posts are in regards to attendance, and whether or not Calgary is a great supporter of hockey or football. It's strange.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/search....archid=8633747
The Following User Says Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2017, 11:56 AM   #19
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

If the Flames carried the momentum from the 2015 playoffs, this wouldn't be the case but since the team followed that up with a basement finish, the hype died down where as in Edmonton the hype is just building.

This franchise has been below average since 1990. Anyone younger than 32 was only able to enjoy one good run from this team. Hard to build a die hard fan base that can keep that level of fandom alive during a rebuild when the franchise simply isn't good.

If the Flames can become contenders the hype will come back.

Go to a place like Vancouver and see how bad it can get. Couldn't sell playoff tickets there in 2015.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:56 AM   #20
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We all have our own opinions.
You posted that maybe the economy was the reason Vancouver hadn't sold out the opening playoff game a couple years ago and that Montreal hadn't sold out either.

So by your opinion that was ok, but now since it's the Flames it isn't ok?

Quote:
May be economy. Montreal hasn't sold their playoff tickets either.
Closed Thread