Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2017, 03:53 PM   #41
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan21 View Post
They won't lose Murray either way as Fleury will just get bought out.

It's just a matter of whether or not they want just some sort of asset for Fleury rather than paying him not to play for them.
Although a buyout will be an option one has to wonder if the Pens ownership group wants to have millions paid to a guy to play else where and if they don't to go down that route what asset would make sense for them to recover some value from Fleury and also save millions.
Then, if we want, we can sign Fleury to a reasonable cap hit and length, without giving up assets?

Go ahead and buy him out, Pens.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:53 PM   #42
JohnnyHockey
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Correct me if I am wrong but due to MAF having a NMC in his contract does this not mean Matt Murray must be available for Vegas? I thought you could only protect one goaltender. If this is the case, I assume MAF would be available for a bag of pucks pending he waives his NMC of course.
JohnnyHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:55 PM   #43
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

How do the salaries work out though? If both teams are against the cap, then either Pittsburgh needs to retain salary (on 2 more years to boot) or the Flames need to dump money elsewhere. Maybe this is where Bartkowski comes in, so Wideman can go?
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:58 PM   #44
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wideman for MAF straight up, otherwise the Pens can buy him out or take one of those poisonous goalie contracts from Dallas.

They really don't have much of a choice here.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:01 PM   #45
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fluery is better off getting bought out

He forces the Pens to buy him out and he signs where he feels like on a 2 year deal worth more than 1/3 of his current contract. I don't see why he waives for the flames when he likely can get more by getting 2/3rds of his Pitt deal plus what the flames would sign him for.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:02 PM   #46
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bouma, Elliott, Flames 2nd

for

MAF, PITT 1st
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:06 PM   #47
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Looking at the cap to see how this would work for the Flames and man is there a lot of dead weight on this team on Trevliving's contracts (plus Burke's Stajan signing):

Bollig
Raymond

Brouwer
Bouma
Stajan

Engelland

The first two cost us 1. 45 for no contributions. Raymond's still on the books next year. The other four are all paid too much for what they bring. We're stuck with the middle three for another year. Brouwer is a real anchor considering the length of his contract and how much money is committed to other forwards that form the real core of the team. Bouma is paid a million too much. Stajan and Engelland have both had good seasons and bring something to the team but they're paid too much and have hurt our flexibility.

Of course we are still saddled with Wideman which was not a Treliving contract but he also failed to move him when it would have been wisest to do so. Tough now that Wideman has jumped the shark.

I think MAF would be another blunder unless (and even if) we sent some of our bad contracts the other way.

I really think if we miss the post-season GG is gone and Treliving along with him, and deservedly so.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:06 PM   #48
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Wideman is gone from the NHL forever, in two months (well, hopefully, four). Why would Calgary take on MAF's contract to shed Wideman's? Wideman will retire as a free agent, last known address, Calgary.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2017, 04:09 PM   #49
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan21 View Post
They won't lose Murray either way as Fleury will just get bought out.

It's just a matter of whether or not they want just some sort of asset for Fleury rather than paying him not to play for them.
Although a buyout will be an option one has to wonder if the Pens ownership group wants to have millions paid to a guy to play else where and if they don't to go down that route what asset would make sense for them to recover some value from Fleury and also save millions.
But if the options are lose Murray or buyout Fleury, why would any other team give up assets to save them millions?

Flames should wait until summer. Maybe Fleury is bought out, in which case they can negotiate a more favourable term/$. Maybe Bishops numbers come down. Perhaps Mrazek will be available. Lots of choices.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2017, 04:13 PM   #50
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pens aren't losing Murray in any scenario since they will buy out MAF. We don't know what Pens owners think about the cost of the buyout or the idea they will have dead money going forward. But IMO they are incented to deal him.

In an Elliott for MAF trade, I believe Pens need to add since getting Elliott is preferable to a buyout of MAF. Let's say they add a 2nd rounder. That would interest me.

MAF's salary is decent for a starter and only 2 years after this. Could you sign Johnson to same money as this year?

Asking Pitt to eat some of MAF's salary may not work because they may prefer a buyout at that point.

I get that some don't think MAF is a legit starter anymore but I still think he might be good fit for young team.

All assumes he would waive to come here. As others have said, he may prefer being bought out and becoming UFA.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:35 PM   #51
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
Bouma, Elliott, Flames 2nd

for

MAF, PITT 1st
I think this would be a great deal for both teams.

Happy the Flames are linked to a trade rumor finally. I am not opposed to Fleury. The contract length is great as Gillies may be ready to roll in that timeframe
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2017, 04:49 PM   #52
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

any trade of Elliott gives the Blues a 3rd
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:06 PM   #53
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the price is low then why not? He's having a rough year but it's not like what we have is any better right now. I am comfortable riding Elliott as well though.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:06 PM   #54
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
any trade of Elliott gives the Blues a 3rd
Are you sure about that? Everything I can find related to the trade says that the Blues get a 3rd round pick in 2018 if the Flames re-sign Elliott. It doesn't say anything about trading him.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:08 PM   #55
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Are you sure about that? Everything I can find related to the trade says that the Blues get a 3rd round pick in 2018 if the Flames re-sign Elliott. It doesn't say anything about trading him.
watch Army's video

https://www.nhl.com/blues/news/blues...lames/c-887126
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:09 PM   #56
Young_Guns
Scoring Winger

Exp:

There are literally a handful of teams that would want MAF.

CGY - obvious, and likely can afford his contract.
DAL - cannot afford his contract, only could if they can dump one of their current goaltenders which may be tough to do.
WPG - need a goalie, probably can make something work, but I doubt MAF waives to go to WPG
VGK - will need a goalie, could pick him through expansion draft for nothing
COL - likely no longer want to hang on to Varlamov, may need MAF but I think they have more important things to worry about right now, like D

So realistically, we don't even know if MAF is willing to waive to come to CGY which probably isn't a whole lot of an upgrade on WPG. If I had to guess, I think it comes down to CGY and DAL. CGY would obviously have a much easier time fitting him in opposed to DAL and their huge money tied up in goaltending (can't see any takers for either of those guys with those contracts).
Young_Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:14 PM   #57
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
Well, there you go.

I doubt that would concern Treliving very much anyway since it's a 3rd rounder more than a year from now. If anything, it might cause Pittsburgh to add in a late-round pick of their own to compensate.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:16 PM   #58
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

No thank you to a MAF for Elliott trade.

Elliott is the better goalie, and he is much cheaper.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2017, 05:16 PM   #59
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Pitt may be in a position where they have to take what they can get. They either lose MAF for a song to a team at the deadline, or he gets picked by Vegas and they get nothing.

I'd be open to it, but not actively rooting for it.
2018 5th round + Wideman for MAF.

You'd be rooting for it then
Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:17 PM   #60
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking at the list of UFA goalies for next season, there's a whole lot of underperforming starters, 2A and career backups. Based on what Fleury has shown this season, the cost better be enticing as there's a long line of similarly performing goalies.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anduril For This Useful Post: