Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2017, 05:40 PM   #81
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't believe that people are talking about Johnny being benched for ONE giveaway.

I can remember at least 3 or 4 times last night where I was screaming at him for his style of play and poor choice-making.

Also, he has been doing it all year

Typically, coaches don't bench star players for one mistake. And that was the case again here - Johnny has had far too many mistakes and I don't blame Gulutzan in the slightest.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2017, 05:52 PM   #82
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's interesting,is the, displine might not be because, of the mistake but rather the lack of effort after the giveaway.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 06:05 PM   #83
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Last night's loss against the Coyotes was a classic example of GG not knowing how to motivate the team.

After the first period, the Flames were only down 1-0 and were dominating the possession and shot clock; it was only Coyote goaltender Mike Smith keeping the Flames off the scoreboard.

During the intermission, Dave Tippett out-coached GG, and motivated his Coyotes team to even the tilted ice and also for them to score 3 more goals. Instead of the Flames continuing their dominance through the next period and the goals will come; the Flames fall even farther behind.

When it comes to coaching ability, as demonstrated (once again?) last night, GG isn't even in Tippett's league. And Tippett is coaching an NHL basement dweller.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 06:07 PM   #84
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Gulutzan needs to bring more orange slices to intermission to keep his players motivated.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 06:08 PM   #85
Tailgator
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This team has been ill prepared to start a game, folds like a cheap tent, and has been blown out as bad or worse than any Flames team I remember. If his "unique approach" is to suck at coaching, he's killing it.
Tailgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 07:39 PM   #86
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlord View Post
Last night's loss against the Coyotes was a classic example of GG not knowing how to motivate the team.

After the first period, the Flames were only down 1-0 and were dominating the possession and shot clock; it was only Coyote goaltender Mike Smith keeping the Flames off the scoreboard.

During the intermission, Dave Tippett out-coached GG, and motivated his Coyotes team to even the tilted ice and also for them to score 3 more goals. Instead of the Flames continuing their dominance through the next period and the goals will come; the Flames fall even farther behind.

When it comes to coaching ability, as demonstrated (once again?) last night, GG isn't even in Tippett's league. And Tippett is coaching an NHL basement dweller.
This.

I was watching the Coyotes broadcast and they had Playfair on in the 1st intermission. He clearly laid out what the Flames were doing and the exact adjustments the team needed to make in order to neutralize the attack and turn the puck back the other way for a quick scoring chance.

Well, guess what they did. That's exactly how they turned the game around. Gaudreau's turnover leading to a goal was just how they drew it up.

Now to be fair, Tippett is an extremely good coach (even though I hate his style) and he has the benefit of an extremely experienced associate coach in Playfair, who could be a head coach in his own right. Occasionally those veteran expert coaches will out-coach you. All you can hope for is for Gulutzan to learn from the experience and get better at in-game adjustments over time.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2017, 07:55 PM   #87
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So what you're saying is we should be patient with GG in his own right cause like our young players he's developing too?

Definitely a high ceiling, though. Has to gain 20 lbs over the summer to help with the intimidation factor for next season. Maybe some inspirational speech classes. Surely by 2023 we will see some palpable results.

Process.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:01 PM   #88
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
So what you're saying is we should be patient with GG in his own right cause like our young players he's developing too?

Definitely a high ceiling, though. Has to gain 20 lbs over the summer to help with the intimidation factor for next season. Maybe some inspirational speech classes. Surely by 2023 we will see some palpable results.

Process.
Funny...

So you're saying that someone with the experience of Tippett isn't going to get the upper hand on a younger NHL coach with far less experience? Hell, even Hartley with all his experience was getting REGULARLY out-coached by the opposition. At least with Gulutzan it has only been occasionally, and he's done great against top veterans like Boudreau.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:56 PM   #89
brzeisk13
Backup Goalie

Exp:

didnt the Flames used to have a conditioning coach and a sports psychologist when Hartley was around? Maybe they should bring them back
brzeisk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 10:22 PM   #90
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlord View Post

A three paragraph post that is you declaring that Tippett out coached GG with your only evidence or even your only editorialized comments to back up said decleration is the game's end result?

Good job GG out coached Tippett a whole bunch prior to last nights game already this season or we'd have problems I guess.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 10:28 PM   #91
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I have no problem with the demotion. I thought Gaudreau came out pretty high flying to start the game. He had his chances. But he's also near the top of the league in giveaways. He has multiple ones a game. Sure you can live with them when he's playing like his usual dynamic self and putting up points. But we've barely seen that payer this season outside of a few dominant games after his injury. Now those giveaways compound and result in goals against.

GG demoting him tells me that Gaudreau isn't leaning his lesson and something had to be done. This wasn't a single giveaway that resulted in the benching. It's game after game finally adding up and reaching a boiling point.
I agree that the benching wasn't likely about a single play. Players like Johnny don't often take benching for poor performance, they are usually allowed to play through issues.

Players like Johnny generally take benching for consistent lack of effort, or consistent coach defiance. Based on Johnny's past, I always wonder when he gets this kind of treatment if it relates to Johnny's preparedness for games. Wouldn't shock me if Johnny didn't come back from the break ready to play, and a benching was the result.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:19 PM   #92
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

4-1 lead? Just kidding 5-4!

Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote