Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-17-2017, 03:31 AM   #1
MrDJZak
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default Need CPs help! All files are `Read only`now

I picked up a new Asus ZenBook Pro UX501VW from Memory Express last month. Love it, until now.

I save all my work and everything I do to my Google Drive account. Tonight I powered on, opened Power Point (as I have a presentation to finish) and I`m told `need permission folder is read only.`Or something like that.

Ok, so I check the folder properties box and unclick the `read only`box thinking that`ll fix the issue. It didn`t. So I went deeper, into the C: drive and did the same thing. Checked and made sure all user had full permissions, etc.

Still can`t save. I can`t even save on my local disk! I do a Google search and it seems some people are experiencing this since the last Windows update and others are not. I have tried various fixing and work arounds, but nothings working.

Has anyone heard of this or know of a fix? I have a presentation due on Thursday and I cant do a darn thing.
MrDJZak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:52 AM   #2
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

If it runs Windows 10, go here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/contactus/

Request a chat session with a live operator. More than likely, they'll start a remote assist with your computer. That will probably fix things.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2017, 08:09 AM   #3
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hadn't heard of this problem before, but it does seem fairly common.

It sounds like it's a permissions problem. You have to explicitly tell Windows to propagate permission changes to subfolders, so just changing them at the top level may not fix the issue.

Here's a site that lists clear instructions on how to reset permissions manually.

Here's a program that sounds like it will do the same thing.

Big disclaimer - I can't vouch for either of these methods personally, as I haven't experienced this issue.

What I do like about the manual method is it will only affect the files/folders in your user directory - I wouldn't want to change permissions on all directories. I'm not sure which files/folders the program will affect.

Good luck!
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psyang For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2017, 12:24 PM   #4
MrDJZak
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The fix for this was/is absolutely ridiculous.

I ended up connecting to Microsoft and allowing them remote access to my laptop. Fix this. Click that. Reset this. Reinstall Office. Use a program called Tweaking (which reset everything). On and on. Nothing works. I'm connected to them for just over 2 hours. Very frustrating.

I should also point out: the issue was with Microsoft Power Point. No other programs were displaying the same issue, despite me thinking so (that's what happens when you're up all night and going on 2 hours of sleep).

While waiting for the tech to connect me to Microsoft Office support I came across this: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...3-cf6a31e76066

I followed the directions about the details pane and it's all fixed now! Isn't that odd? Even the tech on the other end was "wtf!"

I've done a couple reboots and shutdowns, and it's all fixed now. No longer "read only" with the Power Point files. I even checked other Power Point files saved in various locations, and it's all good.

Just the weirdest thing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrDJZak For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2017, 01:08 PM   #5
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

While it's great you resolved the issue, I'm not sure how the fact that you have an "Asus ZenBook Pro UX501VW from Memory Express" factors into the story?
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:13 PM   #6
MrDJZak
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
While it's great you resolved the issue, I'm not sure how the fact that you have an "Asus ZenBook Pro UX501VW from Memory Express" factors into the story?
Context? I don't know. Just threw it in there. Illustrating that it's a new laptop with a ridiculous problem. Take your pick.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:13 PM   #7
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This sounds vaguely similar to when removable memory (ie: SD, micro SD) goes bad. Does that have an SSD? or EMMC memory? Large capacity memory cards will every now and then lock to read only when there is a fault detected or bad modules. That results in a completely unusable and typically irreversible state. The reason I bring it up is that I wouldn't see why an SSD failure would be any different than any other solid state media
Aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:20 PM   #8
MrDJZak
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
This sounds vaguely similar to when removable memory (ie: SD, micro SD) goes bad. Does that have an SSD? or EMMC memory? Large capacity memory cards will every now and then lock to read only when there is a fault detected or bad modules. That results in a completely unusable and typically irreversible state. The reason I bring it up is that I wouldn't see why an SSD failure would be any different than any other solid state media
I read about this too when I was looking around for a solution. However I don't think this is the case since the issue was only with Power Point.

I save everything to either Google Drive or OneDrive so I'm not overly concerned with losing data.

The laptop came with 16GB of RAM (not sure of the type) and a 512GB SSD.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:44 PM   #9
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had the same issue once. That preview pain is an OK idea, but horribly executed. It puts a lock on any file you have selected that is in preview, so it is the same as opening it. Which is a bit of a disaster in a networked environment.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2017, 11:02 AM   #10
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
That preview pain is an OK idea
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote