Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2017, 01:19 PM   #221
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

You look around the league at goalies, and even the UFA pool and I can certainly see why the Flames haven't signed Elliott or Johnson yet.

Good lord there will be some good goalies available this off-season. Good young ones too.

I bet BT makes a deal for a goalie right before the expansion draft. Someone like Grubauer (Holtby will be protected) or Sarros (Rinne NMC).
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:21 PM   #222
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
So they will have to sign someone before then I imagine? I thought I read somewhere you NEED to have certain exposed and protected players?
As far as I know the Bartkowski signing meant the Flames were now in compliance with expansion draft requirements.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:21 PM   #223
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

its costs them a 3rd to sign Elliott correct? deals like that kinda hurt the player through no fault of his own. Surprised the PA allows it

anyway lets wait and see how the playoffs go before giving out anymore contracts, if not for Jhonson, Elliott's start would have cost the Flames the season

Last edited by dino7c; 03-15-2017 at 01:24 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:04 PM   #224
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Bishop, Elliott, Chad, Mason, and Ryan Miller are all free agents. Guys under contract will move. Philip Grubauer in Washington is someone to Target.

Would I mind Elliott at 3 years $10M? No. But I still don't have confidence in him as a 60+ game starter.
Neither do I, but here is the thing: I don't believe that the Flames should be in need of a 60+ game starter. The moment they are is the moment that they are not in a position to be a Stanley Cup contender. The trend in today's NHL is moving away from big minute starting goalies, and more to a tandem with goalies splitting games in ratios of 55-60 and 25-30.

Ideally Elliott should never need to play more than 55-60 games in the regular season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:10 PM   #225
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
its costs them a 3rd to sign Elliott correct? deals like that kinda hurt the player through no fault of his own. Surprised the PA allows it
Trade his rights after the season to another team for a late round pick. That team signs him to a new contract. Re-acquire him the day after for a slightly less late round pick.
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:14 PM   #226
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Absolutely resign him, he'll certainly be a better cap hit then the other options out there in Bishop and Fleury

As well, there won't be a period of adjustment like last year, we'll have the same coach, the same system and the most part the same player. We need less uncertainty in the net and not more.

Resign him.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote