Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2016, 02:39 PM   #1
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Streaming Flames (*legally) - riddle me this...

Background: Bell Satellite and cell subscriber with SNW-SNP-SNO-SNF (but not SN360).

So the other night I finally decided to check out Sportsnet NOW. As an "SN subscriber" I get "free" access. The interface kinda sucks, and the quality was OK (I'm currently in Victoria using Shaw Open from my RV site). So I thought I'd see how watching the Flames-Minny game would be last Friday night.
  • Game wasn't available on Victoria TV (I have access to Shaw cable here as well).
  • It wan't available on SN NOW (out of market game streamed out of province?)
  • It WAS available on my "BellTV" app on my iPad. (huh?)

I'm glad that I got to watch it, as I do virtually every Flames game, on my iPad using the BellTV app -- but I can't figure out why that's OK and it isn't OK on SN NOW....though I'm streaming from the same place and my account is registered to the same city (Calgary) in each case.

Even though I'm a techie and a sysadmin, I haven't spent any real time trying to figure out the mechanics of XBMC, Kodi or other technologies, and really, I'm pretty OK with paying (reasonably) for access as long as I get the games. But I can't figure out exactly how/why some work and some don't - and I don't have a clue about GCL.

I travel to BC a lot in the winter, and really don't have a taste for watching the team I'm "supposed" to watch according to the NHL when here.

Can someone clue me in?
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 05:28 PM   #2
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

I'm in the same boat.. eff you Rogers!
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:06 PM   #3
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you use a VPN? Do you have a different mailing address on your Bell account than your service address?

I agree that it seems strange that it would be on the Bell app but not on SN NOW. You'd think it would be on both or neither. Puzzling.
Finger Cookin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:42 AM   #4
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Sounds like Bell is registered to the Calgary address and should work anywhere, it is not geo locked. Sportsnet Now, even though, I assume anyways, is logged in with your Bell credentials is geo locked and uses your current location to determine service not your billing address. Kind of lame but that's how they do it.

Roger's Center Ice sucks big time but its really the only legal way to stream hockey anywhere.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2016, 10:53 AM   #5
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's the only value of Rogers mobile is NHL Gamecenter is included. So two crap services for the price of one?
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2016, 12:02 PM   #6
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
That's the only value of Rogers mobile is NHL Gamecenter is included. So two crap services for the price of one?
Ha ha, pretty much yes. I wouldn't pay for Game Center that's for sure.

I have had a long running twitter DM with their service guys and every second post from me is, That's really stupid, why would you do that? On mobile, you can start the game from the beginning? How dumb is that?
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2016, 04:17 PM   #7
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched the flames v ducks game last night on my iPhone using shaw free range tv. I was on a shaw Wi-Fi in alberta and as I understand it, it should just work. I just wanted to add that I was impressed with the quality and with the ease of getting it to work.

I am sure that this doesn't help the OP, but thought I would dump that in here just in case.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:58 AM   #8
socktape
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

From what I heard there are big issues with licencing for sports/shows from shaw, rogers, etc. They may have a licence to show the game in one place, ie. on your tv, but not stream it. It can change from game to game and show to show what they have the licence for. For example, it may be on channel 302 on shaw but you can't watch it on free range.
socktape is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to socktape For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2016, 09:20 AM   #9
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Not sure how to explain this..

I watched the game last night on NHLtv, but curiously, if I loaded it up on my phone, it was blacked out. On my Apple TVs it wasn't, but the Canucks game was.

Also, Sportsnet One and SN Flames is available on the web interface, but not on their mobile app or Apple TV.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:22 AM   #10
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

SN Now uses your GPS location, I believe, to tell what market you're currently in. If it's not a national broadcast, blackouts apply. I could be wrong on that, but that seems to be consistent with your experience.

I've had issues with blackouts on Bell Mobile TV in the past (that was before Rogers bought all the rights though), but in your case, it worked because you subscribe to SN on your Bell satellite at home (assuming your home/billing address is in Calgary?)

We pay for GCL as we like to watch some other market games, and it's useful for watching Flames games when you're not at home, or when travelling. As long as it's a national broadcast, you can still watch Flames games with GCL in Calgary.

Regional Flames broadcasts are blacked out on GCL, but if you're not near a TV, there's SN Now (if you're in the broadcast region) or in my case, Shaw FreeRange TV, which is their equivalent of Bell Mobile TV. I haven't tried FreeRange or SN Now outside of AB yet, but for me, that's where GCL comes in, lol.

My GCL subscription works in the States, but be forewarned, the blackouts in the U.S. are a little more strict. If you want to watch a game that's being nationally broadcasted on NBC or something, it will be blacked out on GCL. That is not the case in Canada with games on SN or CBC.

That being said, I've read somewhere that you can get around the blackouts on GCL by using an NHL add-on for Kodi. I've successfully watched NHL games with Kodi before, because we wanted to watch in 60 fps on a laptop. The web interface doesn't stream in 60 fps, even though the mobile apps and Chromecast do.

I haven't tried Kodi with a regionally blacked out game though, may have to give that a try at some point.

Last edited by Stealth22; 12-09-2016 at 05:16 PM.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:18 PM   #11
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Much easier to stream illegally...not sure why they make it so complicated to give the consumer what they want for a fee they are more than willing to pay
Old 12-09-2016, 04:17 PM   #12
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gamecenter with Yonder TV is my go too(Pretty much a VPN that works selectively). Works great.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 05:07 PM   #13
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth22 View Post
SN Now uses your GPS location, I believe, to tell what market you're currently in. If it's not a national broadcast, blackouts apply. I could be wrong on that, but that seems to be consistent with your experience.

I've had issues with blackouts on Bell Mobile TV in the past (that was before Rogers bought all the rights though), but in your case, it worked because you subscribe to SN on your Bell satellite at home (assuming your home/billing address is in Calgary?)

We pay for GCL as we like to watch some other market games, and it's useful for watching Flames games when you're not at home, or when travelling. As long as it's a national broadcast, you can still watch Flames games with GCL in Calgary.

Regional Flames broadcasts are blacked out on GCL, but if you're not near a TV, there's SN Now (if you're in the broadcast region) or in my case, Shaw FreeRange TV, which is their equivalent of Bell Mobile TV. I haven't tried FreeRange or SN Now outside of AB yet, but for me, that's where GCL comes in, lol.

My GCL subscription works in the States, but be forewarned, the blackouts in the U.S. are a little more strict. If you want to watch a game that's being nationally broadcasted on NBC or something, it will be blacked out on GCL. That is not the case in Canada with games on SN or CBC.

That being said, I've read somewhere that you can get around the blackouts on GCL by using an NHL add-on for Kodi. I've successfully watched NHL games with Kodi before, because we wanted to watch in 60 fps on a laptop. The web interface doesn't stream in 60 fps, even though the mobile apps and Chromecast do.

I haven't tried Kodi with a regionally blacked out game though, may have to give that a try at some point.
That Is one of the great things about Kodi and GCL is the 60Fps.
It would be simple to accommodate regional blackouts with GCL simply by showing the actual stream, including commercials, wouldn't it? Or is it more about selling the cable package?

There are addons that work with your valid subscription that may provide relief from regional blackouts.

Last edited by EldrickOnIce; 12-09-2016 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-26-2016, 04:26 PM   #14
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I have a Rogers GCL subscription and I have a PlayOn server and Kodi.

Any thoughts on the best way to watch games both in Calgary and Toronto since I bounce back and forth for work and not be blindsided by blackout restrictions?

I know people have referenced as such on this thread so thought I'd ask.

Thanks in advance!
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 04:35 PM   #15
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

I sent you a PM
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2016, 05:24 PM   #16
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

So.. I have a feeling that if you have an Apple TV and set your DNS to use the OpenDNS IP for your DNS, it seems to think you're in Vancouver. I've been trying this and noticed that Flames and Oilers games that are blacked out on my phone are viewable on my Apple TV.

I don't pay for openDNS, I just prefer it to the Telus DNS.

Anyone else want to try?