Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2016, 11:43 AM   #1
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Cyber Monday Video Card Help - RX480 or 1060?

I just bought an impulse cyber-Monday purchase - a 144hz 1080p 24" monitor.

I play a lot of BF1 and other FPS, but my current Radeon 280X can barely drive BF1 at 50-60 FPS, so I know going 144HZ won't mean anything on my current card... so this $monitor buy is now going to cost me... As I need a new video card!

Can anyone tell me which would be a better video card would be for my new Acer GN246HL monitor for FPS?

I am leaning towards a 1060, just because I hear they OC better... But maybe one is better in BF1?

Any suggestions? And some hot cyber Monday deal recommendations would be awesome.

Thanks CP.
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 11:49 AM   #2
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I personally went with the RX 480 8GB. The 1060 performs better for some games but lacks SLI support, where as the 480 is Crossfire capable.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 12:09 PM   #3
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Any good cyber Monday deals?
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 12:15 PM   #4
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Which monitor did you buy?
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 02:38 PM   #5
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
where as the 480 is Crossfire capable.
Is that still a thing? Last time I was looking at cards, the consensus seemed to be too few games supported crossfire or SLI so it wasn't worth it. Has that changed?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 05:21 PM   #6
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Is that still a thing? Last time I was looking at cards, the consensus seemed to be too few games supported crossfire or SLI so it wasn't worth it. Has that changed?
It's not really at the moment, but from what I was reading the ability to run multiple GPUs is supposedly more futureproof.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:13 AM   #7
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
It's not really at the moment, but from what I was reading the ability to run multiple GPUs is supposedly more futureproof.
That's been the claim ever since SLI/Crossfire was introduced. But the support from game developers has never really been there. For many new games you either have to wait for a driver update that adds support, or it may never come at all. And for 2x the price you would expect 2x the performance with dual cars, but in most cases the performance boost is only around 50% for supported games. It just isn't worth it IMO
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 11:41 AM   #8
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
That's been the claim ever since SLI/Crossfire was introduced. But the support from game developers has never really been there. For many new games you either have to wait for a driver update that adds support, or it may never come at all. And for 2x the price you would expect 2x the performance with dual cars, but in most cases the performance boost is only around 50% for supported games. It just isn't worth it IMO
Fair enough. I was also factoring in the 8GB o VRAM on the 480 vs the 6GB on the 1060. Yeah, I get that games right now are generally maxing out at around 3GB, but it's nice to know that there is the extra VRAM for the future. Plus Freesync monitors tend to be cheaper than Vsync monitors so if I end up wanting to get a monitor at some point, I'll save a bit there. In all honesty it's pretty much coin flip between the two cards but throwing in the free copy of Civ 6 with the 480 made it a better value purchase.

On that note, Newegg has the R9 Fury on for $359.99 after you use their promo code 1129CANME125, which is $140 off their regular price. The benchmarks at 1080p gaming put it neck and neck with the 1060 and 480, but when you jump up to 4K, it blows them out of the water. You're basically getting a 1070 for the price of a 1060.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...108.1478023319

Last edited by rubecube; 11-29-2016 at 12:32 PM.