Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2016, 04:27 PM   #21
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottabekd View Post
I think what will really wow me is when/if I come across any events or items that are just a little beyond the ordinary. I hoping there is some carefully crafted content that breaks out from the procedurally generated norm.
I think I'm only slightly farther ahead than you are and yes, there's been a couple WTF moments that have been pretty cool.

To me, this game is like camping. There's not a ton to do, but if you're the type that enjoys what is there, it's pretty awesome.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 04:33 PM   #22
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel this will be one that is added to and expanded on dramatically over the years too.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2016, 04:43 PM   #23
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I feel this will be one that is added to and expanded on dramatically over the years too.
Yes! I think I read in the patch notes that they're adding the ability to build a base and fly freighters in the upcoming months?
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2016, 04:54 PM   #24
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I would be stoked if this game could evolve into a EVE Online style of online game combining the exploration / mining / survival of NMS with the economic / multiplayer aspect of EVE.

Thats a pretty big jump from where we are at now though....
Old 08-10-2016, 05:33 PM   #25
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

This game is kind of frustrating. They just put you on a planet with a broken ship and don't tell you how to build or find anything that you need to fix it.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:34 PM   #26
MikeN
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Im loving it, about 8 hrs in and just got myself a 1.5million credit ship have an unreal amount of tech. And found a resource on one of my planets that sell for 39k each, and there is 100s of them all over the place. BUT you get one of the huge walking robots on your ass when you take one. So its take as many as you can hold then hide in caves. lol
MikeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:46 PM   #27
MikeN
Scoring Winger

Exp:

And how fun, just found a system with 1 planet and 1 moon...and the moon has ####ing MOUNTAINS of gold on it...and I mean mountains... Also got a Multitool with 10 slots and a grenade launcher on it that shoots a beam for 1min... hehe
Old 08-11-2016, 07:41 AM   #28
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeN View Post
Im loving it, about 8 hrs in and just got myself a 1.5million credit ship have an unreal amount of tech. And found a resource on one of my planets that sell for 39k each, and there is 100s of them all over the place. BUT you get one of the huge walking robots on your ass when you take one. So its take as many as you can hold then hide in caves. lol

How'd you get your units to buy all the swag? I've put in some time as well but haven't broken half a million yet.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:25 AM   #29
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
This game is kind of frustrating. They just put you on a planet with a broken ship and don't tell you how to build or find anything that you need to fix it.
As someone is sick and tired of having his hand held and forced down linear paths with giant arrows pointing at every point of interest, I'm looking forward to this. (should have the time to jump into this game this weekend)
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:21 AM   #30
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Found some really cool moons that have been interesting to explore, and habitable so I'm not worrying about hazard warnings all the time. One was PACKED with rock resources and weird animals. The next one is lush with lakes and forests and greenery, but for some reason has no animals at all on it. It's the first one I've found with water and green terrain, I'm looking forward to really exploring it later on today -- I also got my recipe for antimatter there. I like how this game kind of points you in the right direction to continue your progress, but ultimately you can just do anything you want.

I love this game.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:30 AM   #31
Canuck-Hater
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just curious, is this game worth $70? because I'm thinking of buying it.
Canuck-Hater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:44 AM   #32
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck-Hater View Post
Just curious, is this game worth $70? because I'm thinking of buying it.
Depends who you ask... Some think because its technically an Indie title it shouldn't be worth a AAA Developer game cost.

I disagree as you could LITERARY devote an actual human lifetime to exploring this game and you wouldn't explore everything. (there are over 18 quintillion planets 18,000,000,000,000,000,000 - that would be 7,134,703,196 planets per second for 80 years)

Dont forget each planet is unique too....
Old 08-11-2016, 11:00 AM   #33
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacopuck View Post
Depends who you ask... Some think because its technically an Indie title it shouldn't be worth a AAA Developer game cost.

I disagree as you could LITERARY devote an actual human lifetime to exploring this game and you wouldn't explore everything. (there are over 18 quintillion planets 18,000,000,000,000,000,000 - that would be 7,134,703,196 planets per second for 80 years)

Dont forget each planet is unique too....
For me it's definitely worth $70. But I could see it not being for everyone.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:02 AM   #34
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacopuck View Post
It's really frustrating that these days, so many people seem to use two factors when deciding what they think a game should cost: Who developed the game, and how long it takes to beat. It shouldn't matter who develops a game...if it's good, it's worth the money! If they want longer games, developers will fill them with junk to pad out the time which is worse than leaving it a streamlined experience.

The vast majority of new games I've purchased in the last few years are Indie games, so I can definitely attest that the quality of a game isn't necessarily tied to who developed it!
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:25 AM   #35
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
It's really frustrating that these days, so many people seem to use two factors when deciding what they think a game should cost: Who developed the game, and how long it takes to beat. It shouldn't matter who develops a game...if it's good, it's worth the money! If they want longer games, developers will fill them with junk to pad out the time which is worse than leaving it a streamlined experience.

The vast majority of new games I've purchased in the last few years are Indie games, so I can definitely attest that the quality of a game isn't necessarily tied to who developed it!
As I commented above, I have a hard time justifying paying $80 for any game (despite being ok with paying $60 for Game Gear games in the 90s, pre-inflation). Humans just have 'sticky' prices in their heads, and I definitely succumb to that. And my point about it being an indie game has more to do with the polish of the game. AAA games have so much playtesting these days that a lot of gameplay mechanics and game breaking bugs are ironed out. Obviously not always the case, but modern games are so 'smooth', because the last thing they want is players getting frustrated without being able to progress, or not understanding some critical game mechanics.

So far in No Man's Sky, I have found that some very important mechanics are not make abundantly clear to the players. I read on reddit of a bunch of players disassembling/reassembling their mining laser/bolt caster each time they wanted to switch weapons (seriously), without realizing that the triangle button is a simple weapon swap. Taking a peek inside the options would make this clear. A lot of players have gotten used to being spoon fed everything, that without multiple pop-up messages telling you what the buttons do, they never try them out or figure it out on their own.

So that type of thing is what I think of when it comes to the polish achieved from a high-budget game throwing a bunch of playtesters at it again and again, and making it a priority to never leave the player confused about any of the game mechanics.

But back on my reaction to No Man's Sky...the biggest risk or worry I had would be that the procedurally generated universe would feel too fake, and that I couldn't lose myself in it. I'm happy to say that I have definitely lost myself in it. After switching off the game, I'm thinking about the star system I was exploring, and all the planets and encounters I had. I can't wait to fire it up again and hopefully find that utopia planet with lush vegetation, clear lakes, and wonderful and friendly creatures. Yesterday I landed on planet that looked promising. But as I stepped out of my ship I found out it had severe acid rain and I was in the middle of a severe toxic storm. Oops.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gottabekd For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2016, 11:57 AM   #36
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottabekd View Post
So far in No Man's Sky, I have found that some very important mechanics are not make abundantly clear to the players. I read on reddit of a bunch of players disassembling/reassembling their mining laser/bolt caster each time they wanted to switch weapons (seriously), without realizing that the triangle button is a simple weapon swap. Taking a peek inside the options would make this clear. A lot of players have gotten used to being spoon fed everything, that without multiple pop-up messages telling you what the buttons do, they never try them out or figure it out on their own.

I was one of those players, thanks for this!
Old 08-11-2016, 12:15 PM   #37
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This thread has some more non-obvious tricks: https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTh...hat_are_never/

Obviously, don't read if you would rather find these out on your own.

I didn't quite get that you should place your item upgrades adjacent to the item they are upgrading for an effectiveness boost.

The melee/jetpack boost lets you run around about 3x faster on the planet. Hopefully this isn't patched out!

One other tip on the PS4, the sprint action is set to R3. This is ridiculous and unlike any other FPS I've ever played. Typically L3 is for sprint. There is zero control customization in No Man's Sky. Thankfully the PS4 lets you globally remap buttons. So I swapped R3 and L3. The two caveats with this are: Any button prompts in the game UI for L3/R3 will be wrong, and the setting is global, so you have to remember to turn it off if you want to play another game. This page shows how to do it: http://www.polygon.com/2016/8/9/1241...int-button-ps4
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 04:40 PM   #38
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Man, I just don't know if I should pick this up or not. I've read a ton and some articles make it sound so adventurous and exciting while others make it sound tedious and repetitive. I am very torn.

Any suggestions? My favorite game over the past couple years has been Firewatch if that makes any difference.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:36 PM   #39
MikeN
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Cow Disease View Post
How'd you get your units to buy all the swag? I've put in some time as well but haven't broken half a million yet.
You need to find a trader to sell your #### to, one of my planets has one right beside a cave with these strange ass looking eggs that have pearls in them that sell for 37k each.. luck maybe?

The system I am on now has 1 planet and 1 moon, both have HUGE mountains of gold on them. So big one took me over an hr to mine less then half of it, and that was using grenades. lol
Old 08-11-2016, 07:17 PM   #40
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Any suggestions?
Borrow it from the library, or on PC you could buy it on Steam then return it within 2 hours of playing for a refund. GoG says they have a 30 day return policy but not sure if that is unconditional.