Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2016, 09:18 AM   #1
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default No Man's Sky

I saw some talk about this in the VG thread however, since its out now it probably couldnt hurt to have a discussion about it.

What is everyones first impression of it? I've only gotten a few hours out of it but I'm already impressed by the scale of just the planets let alone the star system and galaxy.

I am curious on how repetitive certain life / fauna looks over time (ie is it just colour change or are flora and fauna also dynamically created)
Old 08-10-2016, 10:06 AM   #2
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm loving it so far, pushing all the right buttons. It feels like a gigantic space sim but without all the super annoying travel times of some other games in the genre.

My exploring has been fun so far -- the planet I started on was irradiated but had lots of plant life on it, so it wasn't too hard to find what I needed to repair the ship. The next I found had almost no atmosphere, so no animals, very few plants, and very taxing on my life support system. The third I landed on was extremely cold at night, but decent during the day. Not overly dense with life but I found some interesting stuff there, and I traded the alien living there for a sweet multi-tool upgrade.

At this point I had to return back to planet 2 (the crappy one) to find fuel for my Hyperdrive. Then blasted off to solar system #2!

I could've played hours more but would've been too tired for work today. Still in pursuit of that nice utopia planet to settle in and explore on for a while. Haven't even seen an ocean yet -- but man I love it. The scale is incredible, the art style is great, the survival elements are fun, and it's not so difficult that you're cursing at it under your breath all the time. Everything I've wanted from a space sim game, can't wait to play more.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2016, 11:04 AM   #3
tknez16
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I stayed up way too late last night playing. I think I rushed too much as I'm on my third solar system now. I want to go back and be more of a completionist.
tknez16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:02 PM   #4
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknez16 View Post
I want to go back and be more of a completionist.
Given the scale of this . . . good luck.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2016, 12:06 PM   #5
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

I don't mind the tedium of harvesting and selling as long as there is progression. It's cool if you take 20 seconds to get a gold node to start but ideally it would be down to 2-3 after enough upgrading.

I'm weary of resource collection and transport being the majority of the game.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:09 PM   #6
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've played for about 10 hours now. It's pretty much what I expected... a giant space simulator where you travel and look at stuff. You need resources to travel and so you collect stuff too. Every once in a while you go, "holy f! What the hell is that?" So far, that's it... and I love it.

If none of that sounds interesting, it's not a game for you.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:39 PM   #7
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've had this game on preorder for a while but had my credit card expire so Amazon had to reconfirm all of that before shipping, so now I have to wait until probably tomorrow to play it. I really hope that there's enough uniqueness that the fauna, landscapes, animals, etc. don't end up being a bunch of reskins of each other.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:45 PM   #8
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I hummed and hawed about getting this game. Mostly, I didn't want to break my "I'm never paying $80 for a video game" self-imposed rule. Well, I bought it.

This game will be divisive, and I don't just mean the hype/anti-hype/the hype is back on/omfg overhyped Internet circlejerk. Mostly people just have to keep in mind that it is an indie game, not a AAA title (but yes, you still pay the AAA price). There are some rough edges. The controls are not great, and are not customizable. Some of the UI is a little bit quirky and will take some figuring out. There is a little bit of in-game tutorial that shows you the basics up until you get a hyper drive and some fuel, but not as much hand-holding as one would expect from a modern AAA game.

As with reviewing anything (from beer, to movies, to music, to cars), you have to evaluate it based on what it is claiming and trying to be. This game is a single-player procedurally generated Universe exploration game. And so far for me, it has met my expectations.

Immediately I was overwhelmed when I started on a hostile radioactive planet. I hadn't even changed my control scheme to be 'inverted' before my suit was complaining "Life support systems low, radiation protection low". So I carefully stepped out from my ship, trying to figure out where and how to charge my systems. At first I was a little shy, afraid to leave sight of my ship. I don't know what's out there. I got the hang after a while, and soon enough I left that rock looking for my purpose in this universe.

Since then, I've met some aliens, been attacked (and killed) by space pirates, attacked by hostile creatures, and hostile plants. I've almost 100% discovered a planet, but the damn birds are hard to scan (I will have to try shooting them down to scan).

I think what will really wow me is when/if I come across any events or items that are just a little beyond the ordinary. I hoping there is some carefully crafted content that breaks out from the procedurally generated norm.

But I think the game got its hooks into me enough that I will enjoy my travels.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gottabekd For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2016, 01:19 PM   #9
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I realize this is meant to be a single player experience but i feel if there is enough exposure to this game, and the dev can work out server issues, a multiplayer aspect could be integrated in later as expansion or DLC.

Not that I'm complaining I'm having fun playing. Its only the beggining
Old 08-10-2016, 01:22 PM   #10
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Is this a game my wife might enjoy playing?

psychnet, you pretend to have a wife, does she play this game?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 01:35 PM   #11
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Is this a game my wife might enjoy playing?

psychnet, you pretend to have a wife, does she play this game?
Haven't bought it yet, so I can't really comment.

My wife doesn't really dig space stuff, she's more of a FPS/4X gamer.

What does your wife usually play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 01:40 PM   #12
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Haven't bought it yet, so I can't really comment.

My wife doesn't really dig space stuff, she's more of a FPS/4X gamer.

What does your wife usually play?
hard to get. zing

just built her a new gaming computer, this is her first foray. spastic games are a no-no.

This game I can't tell if it's spastic or not.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:43 PM   #13
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
hard to get. zing

just built her a new gaming computer, this is her first foray. spastic games are a no-no.

This game I can't tell if it's spastic or not.
It looks pretty relaxed for a space exploration sim. Could be a good jumping ground for PC gaming. At the risk of turning this into a recommendation thread, RTS/TBS/4X stuff could be something to look at because it's less spastic and more deliberate for the unseasoned mouse-twitcher.

Quote:
Old 08-10-2016, 01:45 PM   #14
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I am fascinated by this game but I know if I buy it I will be bored of it sooner than later. Maybe when it goes on sale I will buy it.

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 02:13 PM   #15
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Stardew Valley. I had to cheat myself money to stop myself playing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2016, 02:16 PM   #16
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Stardew Valley. I had to cheat myself money to stop myself playing.
As much as I like Stardew Valley (Harvest Moon clone), it's kind of a waste of a PC that (likely) has a shiny new video card ready to crunch triangles.

Quote:
Old 08-10-2016, 02:18 PM   #17
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Maybe in the spirit of possibly finding others we should list the systems we discovered.

If you ever find Tacopia, you know who found it
Old 08-10-2016, 02:53 PM   #18
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
As much as I like Stardew Valley (Harvest Moon clone), it's kind of a waste of a PC that (likely) has a shiny new video card ready to crunch triangles.
There will be much crunching of triangles, rods and cones.

We don't have VR yet....but at this point I look at it as an eventuality. Would be nice if she could get used to a game and then transition that same game to VR.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:54 PM   #19
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

I was pretty thrilled about this game until I found out there were no gas giants. Does that make me weird? I mean, there's all the realism of space pirates and mining unobtainium, but no super-Jovian planets hosting civilizations of flying gasbags?
Old 08-10-2016, 04:14 PM   #20
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
I was pretty thrilled about this game until I found out there were no gas giants. Does that make me weird? I mean, there's all the realism of space pirates and mining unobtainium, but no super-Jovian planets hosting civilizations of flying gasbags?
Now that I know that it bugs me too.

I always envisioned myself a cloud city mining despot.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post: