Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2016, 04:09 PM   #21
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are we still actually concerned about running a little private network in flight? I'm not scoffing at it, just asking. I never understood it. You used to have to power down device, now airplane mode is good.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 04:57 PM   #22
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Are we still actually concerned about running a little private network in flight? I'm not scoffing at it, just asking. I never understood it. You used to have to power down device, now airplane mode is good.
Airplane mode is ok, but transmissions (for now) are still no go. I'm sure it'll change in a few years, but those safety videos still talk about turning off wifi on laptops.

The rules are inconsistent. You can have a device on but in airplane mode unused just prior takeoff and landing, but no go for using a pair of tin can headphones instead of ear buds connecting to inflight entertainment.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:12 PM   #23
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
This is from 2011 and indicates there _can_ be a problem and Honeywell are working on preventing it. Perhaps ~5 years the issue is resolved but do you really want to test it?

http://www.zdnet.com/article/wi-fi-p...with-aircraft/

Quote:
It's official: using Wi-Fi on a plane can interfere with a pilot's navigational equipment, according to a statement from airline equipment manufacturers Honeywell Avionics and Boeing today.
Also I've been able to connect to my ravpower sitting in the basement when I'm a floor or two up. It's got more power than one would think.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:10 PM   #24
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

^ Airlines in the US have been offering wifi during flights for years now. It really isn't a problem. If it was a real concern, they wouldn't allow any device capable of wifi to be carried onto the plane.

Last edited by sureLoss; 04-15-2016 at 09:13 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:21 PM   #25
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

From what I understand, the difference of having wifi available on the plane and me creating my own hotspot, is that if something happens or there is an emergency, the pilots can turn of the aircraft supplied wifi at a moment's notice. As opposed to asking the flight attendants to ask the 100-300 passengers who has a hotspot setup.

I tend to agree that the risk is pretty low. However in my case being on a Chinese based airline flying into a Chinese controlled country, I'm not going to take any chances.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:43 PM   #26
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of China. Did you prepare a VPN or anything for when you land? Also, don't expect GPS to work very well. China was weirdly offset when I went when trying to use Google Maps.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:18 AM   #27
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

It's just a plane change in Taipei. Destination is Manila, but the longest single flight is from Vancouver to Taipei. I was speaking more about not wanting to break any flight laws by hiding a rogue wifi device.

However I do have a cell plan lined up for when I get to Manila. 5 GB of data for about $30 CDN.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:23 PM   #28
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Just thought I'd bump this with my results, just in case anybody else is looking.

Initially I bought the RAVPower Filehub. At the time it was around $40-50 on Amazon, but seems to have gone up since then. Added a 128 GB SD card and I had plenty of storage. We used it on a road trip to the States and had lots of media options for the family. At one point had 3 of us streaming different shows with no issues. There were a few cons to consider:
- Battery life isn't great, about 8 hours. In the car, just plug it in. But for the 12 hour flight that wasn't going to be a good option.
- You need VLC installed as that is the only 3rd party player supported. And you have to kind of "right click" on your iPad to get it to play in VLC. The built in player could only handle a few file formats.
- Interface is also a little flakey. Will sometimes jump back to home for no reason.
- Due to the wifi interface, it can interfere with a phone getting emails and iMessages. Your phone will try to use wifi before cellular data, and because this wifi connection may not be on the internet (like in your car), we would often get a bunch of messages after walking away from the car. If you are using this at home, you can attach your home wifi.

I also went and bought one of these:
Leef iBridge 3. I got mine on sale for $80 just before Christmas.

This ended up being the better product. The interface was better as it played everything on it's own, and it allowed me to be able to transfer files back and forth. So I could copy something from the Leef to AVPlayer on my iPad, then remove the Leef so my son could use it on his iPad. We also did that if we needed to charge the iPad, copy the file over and then unplug the Leef, and then plug into power.

Also worth noting that China Airlines does not have in-seat power on their older 747s, newer 747s, nor their Airbus A340.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2017, 08:59 PM   #29
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd be curious if this worked as well as the one you bought. I like the microSD option.

https://www.amazon.ca/Leef-iAccess-M...s=leaf+ibridge

Edit. Read some reviews and I'm encouraged. Also BB has it on sale for nearly half off. Hard to go wrong for $40. http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/.../10406907.aspx

Last edited by FurnaceFace; 01-17-2017 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:03 PM   #30
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

When I was looking so many of the devices seemed only to be interested in photos; in being able to transfer them back and forth. What made mine slick was the built in media player interface. If the SD card version also has that- it might be an option to consider.

At least with Best Buy if you get it and it doesn't work, you can return it. I'd be curious to find out how it works for you.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:44 PM   #31
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

I boguht a Seagate "wireless" HD a few years ago in order to watch movies (iPad is only 16GB, so a few apps and it's full).

Worked pretty well, but significantly more expensive.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:52 PM   #32
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Alternative:
That's a sleeping pill...
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:11 PM   #33
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
That's a sleeping pill...
I can't imagine you'd want the other blue pill on a long overseas flight.

It will provide some expansion though.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 03:29 PM   #34
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
When I was looking so many of the devices seemed only to be interested in photos; in being able to transfer them back and forth. What made mine slick was the built in media player interface. If the SD card version also has that- it might be an option to consider.

At least with Best Buy if you get it and it doesn't work, you can return it. I'd be curious to find out how it works for you.
From the Leef site:

Quote:
FILE COMPATIBILITY

Video
.mp4, .m4v, .mpv, .mov, .mpg, .mkv, .wmv, .flv, .3gp, .gif, .avi

Audio
.wav, .aac, .aif, .aiff, .caf, .m4a, .mp3
NOTE: Apple does not allow iTunes DRM audio & video files to be played on external apps

Images
.jpg, .tiff, .gif, .png

Documents
doc and .docx (Microsoft Word); .htm and .html (web pages); .key (Keynote); .numbers (Numbers); .pages (Pages); .pdf (Preview and Adobe Acrobat); .ppt and .pptx (Microsoft PowerPoint); .txt (text); .rtf (rich text format); .vcf (contact information); .xls and .xlsx (Microsoft Excel); .ics
Other than raw images it seems to cover it.

Old 01-23-2017, 01:27 PM   #35
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bump. My Leef iAccess arrived. In the 10 mins I've played with it, I like. It seems to work as Ken describes the ibridge. It took a couple of unplugs, plug back in and a full shutdown restart of the app to get it to recognize but that seems like a 1 time thing. It's getting recognized each time now. Slightly annoying popup asking if you want the app to recognize the device (I don't know why you wouldn't) but that seems minor/picky. The app is super simple to use.

I tested by copying a couple of camera videos that were on my ipad. They didn't transfer at rocket speeds but came across reasonably fine. I assume it's limited by the speed of the card and not the lightning connector. I'll test this more when I'm home and have a larger/newer card to work with. The one idiosyncrasy is the progress bar is based on files, not file size. I copied the two videos and wondered for a bit if they were being copied as the progress indicator didn't change. It then went from 0 to 50% then 100% once the files were copied. That might just be an iOS thing though, I'm not sure. After I copied the files I fired up one of the videos and it played on the ipad fine. I have not tried with movies or other content that wasn't on the ipad first.

In any event, for $40, on first blush this looks like a good product and will be a yuuuge help on trips to backup photos to. Now to buy more microSD cards.

The Following User Says Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post: