Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-01-2016, 03:01 PM   #41
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I would also like to add that almost anyone I know that has dietary restrictions, whether self-imposed or from a medical condition, who has come to a food-centered event has either brought their own acceptable dishes, or politely declined to eat anything that doesn't meet those conditions without any whining or scene-making.

Do people in here really have vegans showing up to their BBQs going "What? no vegan burgers? What are you, some kind of dick?!" Or is it just you going around offering pie and someone says "no thank you, I don't eat gluten" and for some reason that ticks you off?

Uhh why is it anymore or less likely than a nut or lactose condition? or basically any food allergy (shellfish, chocolate, etcc)?
not quite that aggressive but I have been in a group where we took turns hosting for our meetings and it was one of the rules to provide a veggie option. when we went to their house, no meat option. I brought it up, apparently I was the one being rude in that whole exchange so I left for a better group. They should have to respect my lifestyle choice as much as I respected theirs.

of course I am basing this on one incident in my life, so maybe they were just a-holes regardless of their diet choice
Swarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 03:13 PM   #42
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
I would also like to add that almost anyone I know that has dietary restrictions, whether self-imposed or from a medical condition, who has come to a food-centered event has either brought their own acceptable dishes, or politely declined to eat anything that doesn't meet those conditions without any whining or scene-making.

Do people in here really have vegans showing up to their BBQs going "What? no vegan burgers? What are you, some kind of dick?!" Or is it just you going around offering pie and someone says "no thank you, I don't eat gluten" and for some reason that ticks you off?

Uhh why is it anymore or less likely than a nut or lactose condition? or basically any food allergy (shellfish, chocolate, etcc)?
Do you live under a rock? You haven't seen dumb people running around all over North America pretending to have a gluten allergy when you know they don't? And then six months go by and they're stuffing pizza into their face because it turned out they didn't have an allergy after all? You seriously haven't seen this?

If you have a fake nut or lactose condition I'll think you're just as stupid and I'll be just as unaccommodating. I specifically mentioned the gluten one because that's the 'in' one right now. Fifteen years ago the same type of person wasn't eating carbs. Five years from now it will be something else.

How many events/parties do you host? People with food preferences often feel the need to make their problem yours. And when multiple people do this at a big enough event, you simply cannot accommodate them all. If you're at a party of 30 people and you can't eat what the other 29 can, just worry about yourself, please.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 03:15 PM   #43
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you serve me gluten becuase you think I'm faking, in about 2 hours you may regret it becuase your bathroom is going to look like the worst toilet in Scotland by the time I'm one with it. But ya, I get your point and hate the fakers, becuase it means people care a lot less when I show up... Like those people who insist on hassling the waitress and ordering gluten free, but then have a beer because, oh, it's not that bad an issue. I'd kill to have a real beer. Those people suck.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2016, 03:20 PM   #44
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I should mention try to avoid potlucks and events where people insist they can accommodate me, becuase I hate to be "that guy" and it become a big deal. I'll eat before just to avoid the endless talk that even mentioning it brings up all the other people thinking of avoiding gluten.

So if anyone is coming to your party and is actually celiac, my best advice if you can't be 100% sure you are going to feed them safe food, just ask them to bring something themselves. False hope is worse than no hope.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 03:29 PM   #45
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Do you live under a rock? You haven't seen dumb people running around all over North America pretending to have a gluten allergy when you know they don't? And then six months go by and they're stuffing pizza into their face because it turned out they didn't have an allergy after all? You seriously haven't seen this?

If you have a fake nut or lactose condition I'll think you're just as stupid and I'll be just as unaccommodating. I specifically mentioned the gluten one because that's the 'in' one right now. Fifteen years ago the same type of person wasn't eating carbs. Five years from now it will be something else.

How many events/parties do you host? People with food preferences often feel the need to make their problem yours. And when multiple people do this at a big enough event, you simply cannot accommodate them all. If you're at a party of 30 people and you can't eat what the other 29 can, just worry about yourself, please.
Oh I've seen it. I spent 4 years in a relationship with a person who has Celiac's disease, and this was before it was the "it" thing. People that "fake" it tick me off than they probably do for you (maybe not). That doesn't mean we get to assume anyone that has issues with it is "faking it".

I host plenty of BBQs and parties, and have a group of friends that includes people from all of the mentioned categories. People bring their own stuff. Veggie burgers, gluten-free buns, etc... And if they don't, I've never had anyone actually complain about it, just politely decline having any of the regular food without a fuss. I've also accommodated people when I didn't really have to. "Oh, you don't have any veggie burgers?" "No, but hey, you got $5? The store is a 2 minute walk, I'll head over there if you want to watch the BBQ for me?" "Sure, thanks!" Everyone's happy. I don't see a need to throw it in their faces if they aren't throwing it in mine.

I dunno, maybe I have better friends?
Old 03-01-2016, 03:33 PM   #46
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Oh I've seen it. I spent 4 years in a relationship with a person who has Celiac's disease, and this was before it was the "it" thing. People that "fake" it tick me off than they probably do for you (maybe not).
Then why do you reply to every single one of my posts in this thread with faux confusion like you've never encountered a faker?
Old 03-01-2016, 03:54 PM   #47
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Then why do you reply to every single one of my posts in this thread with faux confusion like you've never encountered a faker?
Umm.. there's no faux confusion here. I have encountered many fakers. I don't make it my duty to figure out which ones are and which ones aren't though. If someone asks me if there are gluten free options at my party I don't ask them if they are Celiac or not. I point them in the direction of any things I know are, or say "no, sorry" and maybe offer up some options for getting said items.

I don't see why you need to make it your business whether it's a legit condition or their choice, or why you care. Like I said, I've never had anyone get upset about it if I don't have anything for them. I guess you've had different experiences in the regard. But if you automatically snap to the assumption that they're faking it, or get belligerent about it before knowing what their status is, it's not a surprise that people will get defensive, choice or otherwise.

Any confusion for me is the existence of these people who get all upset when you don't have options. Never encountered that person and, as said, I have had gatherings with people that check off all these boxes.

Last edited by Coach; 03-01-2016 at 03:56 PM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:07 PM   #48
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Umm.. there's no faux confusion here. I have encountered many fakers. I don't make it my duty to figure out which ones are and which ones aren't though. If someone asks me if there are gluten free options at my party I don't ask them if they are Celiac or not. I point them in the direction of any things I know are, or say "no, sorry" and maybe offer up some options for getting said items.

I don't see why you need to make it your business whether it's a legit condition or their choice, or why you care. Like I said, I've never had anyone get upset about it if I don't have anything for them. I guess you've had different experiences in the regard. But if you automatically snap to the assumption that they're faking it, or get belligerent about it before knowing what their status is, it's not a surprise that people will get defensive, choice or otherwise.

Any confusion for me is the existence of these people who get all upset when you don't have options. Never encountered that person and, as said, I have had gatherings with people that check off all these boxes.
If you have a fake condition and are asking me to go out of my way to buy you special ingredients and prepare a dish especially for you when I have a bunch of other things to do in preparation for a party I'm kind enough to host and I want to enjoy myself at the party as well, then yeah, I care if it's a legitimate need of yours or if you're just being a tit. Maybe you have all the time in the world to take care of all the needs and wants of all those around you right now, but trust me, in a few years when you have a couple of kids, a wife and a host of your own responsibilities, your patience for people faking allergies will be at a minimum.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:39 PM   #49
BergyBoy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

For size
NSFW!
BergyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:38 AM   #50
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
If you have a fake condition and are asking me to go out of my way to buy you special ingredients and prepare a dish especially for you when I have a bunch of other things to do in preparation for a party I'm kind enough to host and I want to enjoy myself at the party as well, then yeah, I care if it's a legitimate need of yours or if you're just being a tit. Maybe you have all the time in the world to take care of all the needs and wants of all those around you right now, but trust me, in a few years when you have a couple of kids, a wife and a host of your own responsibilities, your patience for people faking allergies will be at a minimum.
Do you ask for a doctor's note?

Quick poll question:

Which is worse:

a) someone who doesn't have Celiac asking for gluten-free options, or
b) an able-bodied man riding around on a rascal?
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2016, 12:03 PM   #51
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Yes, but when 50% of people at a dinner party say they can't tolerate gluten, that is statistically impossible. Fad diet.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/bo...-in-your-head/
I've known one person in my life who legitimately had Celiac disease. It took quite a few tests at the time to actually figure out it was Celiac as well. 99% of everyone else wanting gluten-free are just causing nuisances for others. Bland, tasteless, nuisances.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:19 AM   #52
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I guess one good thing about this fad is that people who actually have Celiacs' can now get food almost anywhere as most restaurants have one or two items that are good for them. 10-15 years ago it must have been impossible to go out.
Swarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:07 AM   #53
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
C'mon, they don't have dicks.
Are you stating that you know that male vegans or vegetarians dont have male genitals?

Are you manly man because you eat meat? Is it because the hormones in the meat you eat affect you and make you more manly?
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taco.vidal For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2016, 09:14 AM   #54
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
C'mon, they don't have dicks.
You can come and blow mine
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to socalwingfan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2016, 10:22 AM   #55
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Calm down people - I have been vegan at times too.

My jab was aimed at the opposite target.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 11:05 AM   #56
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You should know better Troutman. No jokes allowed.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:55 PM   #57
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What is almost as rediculous as vegans is my wifes catholic cousin who refuses to allow any pork in their house. Her poor husband. He is one of my longest friends and I remember him eating plates full of bacon like spaghetti at the port-o-call buffet. Poor #######.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote