Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2016, 11:10 AM   #1
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Offal recipes - how not be a baby

As per the request of one person, I want to start a discussion about the other, other meats. I am a huge fan of offal. I will eat any part of an animal except for genitals and lungs.

First off, if you are really interested, you must do two things: a) find a good butcher, Italian or Chinese, and become their friend; b) buy this book - http://goo.gl/tEcL42.

I think the go-to for getting into offal is the lamb kidney. It is fairly easy to find, cheap, and isn't too offensive-smelling or looking to start off.

When you get your kidneys, immediately soak them in salt water for several hours. This removes some of the "kidney" smell, and that bitter offal taste.

Remove them, pat dry, and cut them in half. Use kitchen scissors or a sharp knife to remove the fatty nodule from the centre of each kidney.

Mix up a bowl flour, paprika, and dry mustard. Coat each kidney in the mixture.

Mix a bowl of parsley, capers, and olive oil. Throw in a couple of minced garlic cloves.

Throw a large (very) knob of butter into a very hot pan. Once butter has melted, lay your kidneys in, and give them a hearty splash of red wine, and Worcester sauce. As Fergus Henderson would say, "Let them all get to know each other." When the liquor has reduced after around 2 minutes, flip them. The next step depends on whether you like your kidneys soft or crispy - I prefer crispy, so I let them stay in the pan for a while. I scrape up the brown bits, add some more wine, and let it all percolate into a delicious crispy coterie of goodness.

While your kidneys are cooking, toast thick slices of white bread. Remove kidneys, place on your toast, with a dollop of your greens. You can enjoy this first thing in the morning with a glass of beer or red wine.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:14 AM   #2
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

My mum used to roast lamb hearts, couldn't stand them to be frank.
Blood puddings and pressed tongue though, mmmm
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:19 AM   #3
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tongue meat is really good. I never really understood the aversion many people have to it.

I made beef tongue in the crockpot and didn't tell my wife what it was until after, and she loved it. Before that, she refused to try it.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:06 PM   #4
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just don't overdo it on the Offal meats. They will give you gout in no time flat.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 04:39 PM   #5
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
While your kidneys are cooking, toast thick slices of white bread. Remove kidneys, place on your toast, with a dollop of your greens. You can enjoy this first thing in the morning with a glass of beer or red wine.
Nice!
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 04:57 PM   #6
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
Just don't overdo it on the Offal meats. They will give you gout in no time flat.
That sounds Offal.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 05:07 PM   #7
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quit being a baby and just eat the lungs and genitals already.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:18 PM   #8
Smartcar
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Quit being a baby and just eat the lungs and genitals already.
Never had lungs but I did try prairie oysters at Buzzard's way back when. It was spongy and didn't taste that great. Didn't have them again, but worth a try.

Quote:
When you get your kidneys, immediately soak them in salt water for several hours. This removes some of the "kidney" smell, and that bitter offal taste.
Every time I've ever tried kidney (OK only twice) it smelled a bit like piss. Yuck. Maybe the place didn't soak it in salt water long enough. I've had tongue and sweetbreads and those were fine.
Smartcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 05:33 PM   #9
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartcar View Post
Never had lungs but I did try prairie oysters at Buzzard's way back when. It was spongy and didn't taste that great. Didn't have them again, but worth a try.

Every time I've ever tried kidney (OK only twice) it smelled a bit like piss. Yuck. Maybe the place didn't soak it in salt water long enough. I've had tongue and sweetbreads and those were fine.
Oh, I don't eat all that nasty stuff. I was just poking fun because of the "not be a baby" in the title. Unfortunately I'm a super taster so bitter, dirt and game end up amplified horribly. So many potentially great things ruined from wretching.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:01 PM   #10
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I think I had monkey brain in the Amazon. Only the village elder knows for sure.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote