Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2016, 02:08 PM   #141
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh boy, you sure got me.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 02:12 PM   #142
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
How was White Chicks harmful to white people?
I think it's harmful to fighting racism in general. Eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind and all that. If we're going to try and eradicate racism from our culture, it has to mean ALL racism. Allowing it to happen against whites for humour purposes is not really harmful (just like it wasn't for RDJ in Tropic Thunder, or maybe it was. I'm not black so I can't say if it was or not. But it was funny, I know that much.), but it is still racism, and none of it is OK.

Last edited by Coach; 02-01-2016 at 02:17 PM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 02:18 PM   #143
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I think it's harmful to fighting racism in general. Eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind and all that. If we're going to try and eradicate racism from our culture, it has to mean ALL racism. Allowing it to happen against whites for humour purposes is not really harmful (just like it wasn't for RDJ in Tropic Thunder, or maybe it wasn't. I'm not black so I can't say if it was or not. But it was funny, I know that much.), but it is still racism, and none of it is OK.
I don't know. You could maybe say it was anti-white bigorty (I think it's just satire), but it's missing the systemic element that's really the biggest component of racism. It might sound like semantics, but it gets tiring when people bring up White Chicks as an example of the horrors of racism faced by white people. It's so inconsequential that it really has no business being brought in to muddy the waters of any discussion of racism, and comes off as incredibly disingenuous.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:50 PM   #144
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Blackface was also considered 'satire' back in the day but I'm pretty sure you won't find many people who think it is a good thing to do.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 03:03 PM   #145
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
Blackface was also considered 'satire' back in the day but I'm pretty sure you won't find many people who think it is a good thing to do.
Do you really think one movie where two black guys spoof Hollywood's use of blackface by dressing up as white women is equivalent to decades of exclusion of black actors and the degradation via blackface of black people?
Old 02-01-2016, 03:15 PM   #146
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know. You could maybe say it was anti-white bigorty (I think it's just satire), but it's missing the systemic element that's really the biggest component of racism. It might sound like semantics, but it gets tiring when people bring up White Chicks as an example of the horrors of racism faced by white people. It's so inconsequential that it really has no business being brought in to muddy the waters of any discussion of racism, and comes off as incredibly disingenuous.
No one is claiming it's a "horror of racism faced by white people", I don't feel hurt by it. But it's discriminatory at best, regardless of the color.

My point is that if we are to be above this stuff, you can't pick and choose which cultures are allowed to be satirized in this way. If there is ever going be any forgiveness or cutting of tension in these regards you either have to accept it as all OK, or denounce all of it as not OK. there can't be an inbetween regardless of issues of the past (and yes, I fully recognize that there are plenty of people who still adhere to racist ideologies).

There a lots of straight actors who have played gay as a stereotype. Is that OK? Is it OK if they have gay friends that are accepting of it, even if there might be a subsection of the gay community fully against it?

It could also be confusing to people new to our society, specifically kids. A kid isn't born racist, but a group white kids who sees White Chicks and think it's funny (ugh), maybe think it will be just as funny to do a Black Girls spoof. These kids may have no idea that what they are doing is wrong, and when you tell them it is, it's a fair question to ask about why it's ok for the opposite to happen. And yeah, that's the time to teach them about the historical context, but they could still be of the opinion of "well I don't hate black people, I wasn't a slave owner, I'm just trying to be funny like my hero comedians." You're instilling in those kids that there is a separation there, when that's exactly what we're trying to get rid of, isn't it?

A story I like to share WRT this stuff is when I was in Swift Current at a skateboard park a few years ago. I was just watching my brother zip around, and there were these 10-12 year old white kids that were fooling around on bikes and what not. They were calling each other n***** when something cool would happen. I was about to step in and tell them not to use the word, but then I though, is it OK? They obviously have no idea what the word actually means, and through their listening of music and everything seem to just think it means how black people use it (brother, friend, etc..), because that's there only exposure to it. Isn't that what we want? To quell the original, hateful context of these words? Or are these kids using the term now racist? They are obviously not. They just don't know.

Looking back, I probably should have said something. I coach 13-14 year olds so f*g is pretty prevalent in their language and I do my best to stop them from using it, and they seem to be receptive when you explain how hateful it is, and that they could be offending people around them. But they don't seem to use n***** very much or at all, probably because they know where it comes from now, even if it is prevalent in their music.

Quote:
Do you really think one movie where two black guys spoof Hollywood's use of blackface by dressing up as white women is equivalent to decades of exclusion of black actors and the degradation via blackface of black people?

Do you really think that fighting racism with more racism is the way to try and rise above this stuff? Again, none of this offends me or hurts my feelings in anyway (nor should it for any white people). I just don't see how that makes it any less racist, or how it helps race relations at all.

Last edited by Coach; 02-01-2016 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:29 PM   #147
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How was White Chicks harmful to white people?
Dude...White Chicks was harmful to everyone.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:32 PM   #148
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

seriously, White Chicks made me feel pretty marginalized.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:56 PM   #149
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Listen, none of us came out of White Chicks with our lives in the same condition they were before we went in, but it's still a terrible argument.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2016, 06:11 PM   #150
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, so, we don't discuss whether individual instances of blackface actually harmed anyone. We just automatically conclude that engaging in that is unacceptable. Suggesting that a systemic element is the biggest component of racism... man, really? Not that systemic racism doesn't exist or isn't a problem, but to elevate it to the status of a crucial, individually necessary condition for any real concern seems to me to be a way to excuse certain instances of racism, largely arbitrarily.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 02-01-2016 at 06:18 PM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:29 PM   #151
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Yeah, so, we don't discuss whether individual instances of blackface actually harmed anyone. We just automatically conclude that engaging in that is unacceptable. Suggesting that a systemic element is the biggest component of racism... man, really? Not that systemic racism doesn't exist or isn't a problem, but to elevate it to the status of a crucial, individually necessary condition for any real concern seems to me to be a way to excuse certain instances of racism, largely arbitrarily.
It's an admittedly consequentialist approach, but bringing up White Chicks as an equivalent to the history of blackface and the treatment of black actors, or as an excuse to dismiss claims of racism is completely ridiculous.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:20 PM   #152
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's an admittedly consequentialist approach, but bringing up White Chicks as an equivalent to the history of blackface and the treatment of black actors, or as an excuse to dismiss claims of racism is completely ridiculous.
Did someone in here do that? Equate it to this history of blackface and the treatment of black actors? Use it as an excuse to dismiss claims of racism?

They are both racist. It doesn't mean that they are the same. They are equivalent on the level that they are both racist, and that's it. It doesn't have to have some terrible background and long standing history of subjugation and slavery to be considered racism.

Is Rooney's breakfast at Tiffany's racist because of Japanese internment camps? Or is it just plain racist?
Old 02-01-2016, 07:22 PM   #153
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Did someone in here do that? Equate it to this history of blackface and the treatment of black actors? Use it as an excuse to dismiss claims of racism?

They are both racist. It doesn't mean that they are the same. They are equivalent on the level that they are both racist, and that's it. It doesn't have to have some terrible background and long standing history of subjugation and slavery to be considered racism.

Is Rooney's breakfast at Tiffany's racist because of Japanese internment camps? Or is it just plain racist?
What's the point of bringing it into the conversation then, if not to detract from the actual point of the debate?
Old 02-01-2016, 07:30 PM   #154
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was a joke about a black person playing a white person who was once a black person. I think it's a funny grey area because of Jackson's change of hue.

It wasn't meant to be "Look racism here too!"

I think the casting directors for MJs movie have a tough job.

Last edited by Coach; 02-01-2016 at 07:33 PM.