Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2016, 08:27 AM   #21
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Maybe this will help reduce the prestige of the Oscars from moderately irrelevant to dirty toilet water.
Moderately irrelevant? Do you know how many people watch the oscars? Do you think actors think it's irrelevant?

You may not like what they are or represent but to call them irrelevant is silly talk.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VANFLAMESFAN For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2016, 09:05 AM   #22
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Well Aunt Viv from Fresh Prince isn't holding back on Jada...

I mean I find the #OscarsSoWhite thing so weird to begin with. They are almost advocating for Tokenism so that at least someone got nominated.
First of all, you go Aunt Viv.

Is Will Smith a good actor? Yes, was his performance in Concussion nomination worthy over the other movies that were picked or the other actors that were picked.

I tend to think that we do a greater dis-service when we say that simply because an actor or whatever is black that they should automatically be there.

I agree with your point, are they advocating tokenism? Because then the question is always going to come up, was person x or movie x nominated because it was one of the 5 best movies or 5 best performances or because it was directed by Spike Lee and starred Will Smith.

Jada is probably also pissed off at the world because nobody wants to see her talentless son anywhere near the big screen anymore.

Stop pushing him down our throats lady.

He sucks.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:08 AM   #23
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

His performance in Concussion was not Oscar worthy at all imo.

LOL she is bang on about the accent. It was distracting.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:10 AM   #24
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Would we care about the "Insurance Salesman of the Year" award given by random company? Why should we care about the Oscars? This is just a ridiculous spectacle put on by the film industry to promote its own films and actors and its just a bunch of actors patting each other on the back about how great a job they did this year pretending to be other people. This is the very last item any social justice warriors should be fighting for.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:13 AM   #25
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of the more valid criticisms I heard was that it seems like black performers, directors, etc., only get nominated when the movie they're in in has race or racism as major focal point of the film.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2016, 09:20 AM   #26
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
Moderately irrelevant? Do you know how many people watch the oscars? Do you think actors think it's irrelevant?

You may not like what they are or represent but to call them irrelevant is silly talk.
Ya, it's a bunch of overpaid narcissists patting themselves on the back for an evening. It is totally irrelevant to my life, and I don't make decisions on what movies to watch based on what director or actor they foist into the spotlight for that year, deserving or not.

Oh, the people voting don't even see all the films, and don't necessarily watch them in their best format. I'd be interested how many can judge best sound editing. I'd guess many would not be an expert to judge that.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Surpr...ees-69872.html

Last edited by Fuzz; 01-19-2016 at 09:23 AM.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:32 AM   #27
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Americans are so race conscious. It's bizarre as an outsider.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zarley For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2016, 09:40 AM   #28
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reminds me of the white rants about Idris Elba being 007. Of course he'd be perfect for the part. There is White Supremacy in Hollywood and it's bullcockey! Strong roles should be available to everyone who can successfully portray the character.

Letter From The Birmingham Jail

"I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro’s great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not . . . the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to ‘order’ than to justice; who prefers a negative peace, which is the absence of tension, to a positive peace, which is the presence of justice; who constantly says, ‘I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direction action.’ . . . Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection. . . . We will have to repent in this generation not merely for the hateful words and actions of the bad people but for the appalling silence of the good people."

Martin Luther King, Jr.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:41 AM   #29
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
One of the more valid criticisms I heard was that it seems like black performers, directors, etc., only get nominated when the movie they're in in has race or racism as major focal point of the film.
That is true. Although, those are also the sort of films that qualify as Oscar-bait anyway. In other words, it is a nomination process that has an entrance condition, but the entrance condition isn't race... it's being the lead actor in the sort of movie that generally wins Oscars.

Honestly, Chiewetel Ejiofor's 12 Years a Slave performance legitimately deserved not just the nomination but the award. This year, I don't think there are any black actors who gave a performance of that quality. I haven't seen Concussion, though, so I could be wrong.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:51 AM   #30
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are tons of great black actors, and sometimes they don't win awards, and that is fine. I don't think there is a movement behind the scenes of academy voters snubbing blacks this year. I don't follow Hollywood or the hoopla of the Oscars, but my guess is there are significantly more white actors than black ones just due to the general makeup of the American population. To me that means you can realistically expect more white actor wins/nominations.

Racism definitely is alive and well in America, but I think Hollywood is past that, to be quite honest. Hasn't Leo been "snubbed" in the past?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:58 AM   #31
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
Americans are so race conscious. It's bizarre as an outsider.
Is it really bizarre? The history that birthed it is pretty well known.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:14 AM   #32
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ya, it's a bunch of overpaid narcissists patting themselves on the back for an evening. It is totally irrelevant to my life, and I don't make decisions on what movies to watch based on what director or actor they foist into the spotlight for that year, deserving or not.

Oh, the people voting don't even see all the films, and don't necessarily watch them in their best format. I'd be interested how many can judge best sound editing. I'd guess many would not be an expert to judge that.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Surpr...ees-69872.html
Everything but Best Picture is voted on only by the branch that it represents. So only actors vote on acting awards, only writers vote on the best screenplay, and only people who do sound and sound editing would vote on that category.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2016, 10:16 AM   #33
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Is it really bizarre? The history that birthed it is pretty well known.
Of course the history is known but it still feels like an alien quantity as a Canadian. I once worked with a woman who came up from Georgia and she framed everything she experienced and everything that happened to as being race-related while the rest of us (of all different visible ethnic backgrounds) were puzzled and confused.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:17 AM   #34
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
There are tons of great black actors, and sometimes they don't win awards, and that is fine. I don't think there is a movement behind the scenes of academy voters snubbing blacks this year. I don't follow Hollywood or the hoopla of the Oscars, but my guess is there are significantly more white actors than black ones just due to the general makeup of the American population. To me that means you can realistically expect more white actor wins/nominations.

Racism definitely is alive and well in America, but I think Hollywood is past that, to be quite honest. Hasn't Leo been "snubbed" in the past?
I think saying that Hollywood is past racism is a very naïve statement. Sure minority actors can win awards if given the opportunities, it's the fact that minorities in general are not given the same opportunities, same access, in that insular old white guy studio system, that bleeds into all these other areas.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2016, 10:27 AM   #35
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

When did the last Asian or Hispanic person win an Oscar or get nominated? Why don't they have their own twitter protests?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2016, 10:40 AM   #36
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not saying she's wrong, but Jada is so annoying. She's anyways bugged me.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:44 AM   #37
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oscars, I just can't be ####ed.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:15 AM   #38
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
I think saying that Hollywood is past racism is a very naïve statement. Sure minority actors can win awards if given the opportunities, it's the fact that minorities in general are not given the same opportunities, same access, in that insular old white guy studio system, that bleeds into all these other areas.
Honestly, I don't think even that happens. Maybe I am naive, but if I'm a director and I'm casting roles, do I really give a rats ass what race an actor is? I want to make the best movie. Do the big studios tell their directors and producers they must give white actors prime roles over minorities? Highly doubt that. I think the studios only care about dollars no matter who the actor is.

And aren't all the major studios run by a board of governors, and not and "insular old white guy" calling all the shots?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:17 AM   #39
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Jews run Hollywood.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:19 AM   #40
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Why should the be equality when it comes to quality of work? Make the work good and you'll get nominated accordingly.
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote