Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2015, 03:34 PM   #1
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default 2016 Calgary Roughnecks and NLL Thread

With the pre-season game this Sunday and the roster being announced today, time for a new Roughnecks thread I figured.

Roster is here

Will be a very different look up front, looking forward to seeing Digby play. Hopefully a bigger role for Leung on transition. And a familiar looking defence.

One big question with the roster - where the heck is Roe? Not even on the practice squad? Really want to see this kid play.

I've been saying for a couple of seasons they needed to shake the team up, we had a really consistent lineup for a long time. Nice to see some new blood. I am a little concerned that so many new players might expose some weaknesses in our coaching. Still not a huge Malawsky fan, we'll see what he can do this season.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2015, 04:02 PM   #2
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Losing Evans is tough but Digby is a truly unique player. His size and athleticism make him a very tough guy to cover. You can't cover him 1:1. You combine him with Dickson and you have two very hard challenges for the D.
I think Berg is going to be very impressive. Looking forward to the offense having a different look - it was a little stale.
Looks like they are moving up McRae from D to Transition - he'll do well there. The D is therefore going through a lot of changes. That might be a weak spot to start the year.

I've not yet heard what the deal with Roe is. Will try to find out.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 08:48 PM   #3
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just heard from someone who knows Roe's dad, apparently he got hurt in camp and got cut. Crappy. As my buddy said, won't take long for a guy 6' 10" with good hands to catch on somewhere. Surprising they cut him loose, didn't they trade to get that pick?
Old 12-18-2015, 11:15 PM   #4
JiriHrdina

Exp:

He hasn't shown enough to be worth a pick.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:07 AM   #5
EuKnoLikeMonny
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Does anyone have that promo code kicking around still for the 5 dollar tickets to the game tomorrow afternoon?
EuKnoLikeMonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:19 AM   #6
FlamingHomer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just to get everyone up to speed, here is a summary of the Roughnecks transactions during the off season:

JULY 2015
7th - Signed goaltender Frankie Scigliano to a three-year agreement
31st - Signed goaltender Peter Dubenski to a two-year agreement
AUGUST 2015
3rd - Moved goaltender Peter Dubenski to the Active Roster from the Hold Out List
- Released transition player Geoff Snider
12th - Signed transition player Karsen Leung to a two-year agreement
17th - Signed defenceman Mike Carnegie to a two-year agreement
20th - Signed transition players Tor Reinholdt and Tyson Roe to one-year agreements
24th - Signed defencemen Dan MacRae and Patrick O'Meara to one-year agreements
SEPTEMBER 2015
23rd - Signed defenceman Jon Harnett to a one-year agreement
19th - Placed defenceman Andrew McBride on the Retired List
26th - Traded forward Shawn Evans and a third-round selection in the 2018 NLL Draft to the New England Black Wolves in exchange for forward Tyler Digby and a first-round selection in the 2018 NLL Draft and a 2019 first-round selection
28th - Signed forward Carson Barton, defenceman Tyson Bell, defenceman Mitch de Snoo, goaltender Jordan Kancsal, defenceman Kellen LeClair, forward Jacob Ruest and forward Jason Jones to one-year agreements
30th - Signed defenceman Mitch Banister to a one-year agreement
NOVEMBER 2015
3rd - Signed forward Reilly O'Connor to a two-year agreement
- Signed forward Wesley Berg to a one-year agreement
9th - Signed goaltender Christian Del Bianco to a one-year agreement
18th - Placed goaltender Peter Dubenski on the Hold Out List from the Active Roster
DECEMBER 2015
5th - Released goaltender Jordan Kancsal from the Active Roster
- Signed forward Curtis Dickson to a three-year agreement
10th - Released forward Carson Barton from the Active Roster
16th - Released transition player Tyson Roe and forward Jacob Ruest from the Active Roster
- Placed transition player Peter McFetridge on the Injured Reserve List - Second Level
- Signed forward Jeff Shattler to a two-year contract
17th - Released forward Jason Jones from the Active Roster
- Released defenceman Patrick O'Meara and transition player Tor Reinholdt from the Active Roster
- Signed defenceman Patrick O'Meara to the Practice Player List
18th - Released defenceman Mitch Banister from the Active Roster
- Signed defenceman Bradley Kri to the Practice Player List
21st - Signed defenceman Mitch Banister to the Practice Player List
23rd - Released defenceman Bradley Kri from the Practice Player List
28th - Traded defenceman Mitch de Snoo to the Buffalo Bandits in exchange for transition player Brandon Goodwin
31st - Signed forward Tyler Melnyk to the Practice Player List
Old 01-02-2016, 02:46 PM   #7
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks for the summary, seems like a busier year than the past few for moves. Hope it shakes things up a bit.

Necks signed Bob Snider to the practice roster today. Local boy which is good for the fans, and I think he has good seasons left in him. He's coached my boys in field lacrosse and I think he is an excellent guy.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:33 PM   #8
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I am going to my first ever roughnecks game tonight. I have a question about length of game though. I understand its 4x15min quarters, but my question is more around length of the entire actual event.

Game starts at 7pm, when can I reasonably expect it to be all finished?

I am wondering if I need to take my hockey gear with me for my 1045pm ice time tonight or if I am going to have time to go home first.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:44 PM   #9
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
I am going to my first ever roughnecks game tonight. I have a question about length of game though. I understand its 4x15min quarters, but my question is more around length of the entire actual event.

Game starts at 7pm, when can I reasonably expect it to be all finished?

I am wondering if I need to take my hockey gear with me for my 1045pm ice time tonight or if I am going to have time to go home first.
You'll be done around 930
The Following User Says Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2016, 05:17 PM   #10
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting trade just before the season starts.

From above FlamingHomer's post:
Quote:
28th - Traded defenceman Mitch de Snoo to the Buffalo Bandits in exchange for transition player Brandon Goodwin
de Snoo is starting the season on Bandits practise roster. Goodwin was the last pick of round 1 in 2014 draft. He has some offensive upside but was still and off the board pick back then. We'll see how he performs.

I think the D is a weak point unless LeClair and Bell are super-quick learners it could be a long season against some of the offences around the league.

They need a stud dman. I also wouldn't be surprised in Del Bianco take over starting netminder position by season's end. He had a great camp.

Let go RoughNecks.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:12 PM   #11
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I didn't realize the home opener was tonight or I would have went. I see it's being broadcasted on tsn.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:51 PM   #12
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Roughnecks were up 6-2 after half time. Now it's 6-6 after 3 Qs.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:15 PM   #13
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Horrendous meltdown tonight. When the Rush finally pushed, the Roughnecks simply fell apart. Three SHG against is inexcusable.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:52 PM   #14
GC91
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I was at my first roughnecks game tonight. Terrible meltdown after being up 6-2. Great atmosphere though they sold me on going back again. How does the play off format work for this league. How many teams make it through
GC91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:35 PM   #15
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC91 View Post
I was at my first roughnecks game tonight. Terrible meltdown after being up 6-2. Great atmosphere though they sold me on going back again. How does the play off format work for this league. How many teams make it through
3 teams in each division. First place gets a bye
First round is single elimination. Second round 2 games with a tie breaking mini game after game 2 if need be.
Finals are a best of 3
Old 01-03-2016, 01:24 AM   #16
Kerplunk
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Well, that game happened. Not sure what went off the rails in the third; 5 shot on goal for, and 2 short handed against. And that one in the second where the ref blew the play in without a Roughneck player in the area, spotting them another.....ugh. Maybe if they hit the net more instead of trying to go through 2 defenders (dammit, Dobbie), and learned how to transition....

And then there are those new Rush colours. I can kind of handle the green on the jersey (can't be worse than the Swarm), but the green and white of the names HAS to go. Most other teams I can usually read the name on them, but on the Rush ones the name is just a green blur, and the number isn't much better, just larger.
Kerplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:29 AM   #17
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

The D played better then I expected, had good pressure all night. Few breakdown caused the goals.

Frankie played really well too. The O is adjusting with all the new faces. I still see a playoff team.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:40 PM   #18
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Transitioning to defence was miles ahead of the last few seasons. They struggled to go from D to O, but a lot of that is likely the Rush. Curious to see how they do against Buffalo next weekend.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:34 PM   #19
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

the one issue i have with them is when they have a partial break, sometimes they need to take it to the net instead of always setting up..... i do like the youth injection, other than about 5 or 10 minutes, they played a pretty solid game
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 04:41 PM   #20
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
the one issue i have with them is when they have a partial break, sometimes they need to take it to the net instead of always setting up..... i do like the youth injection, other than about 5 or 10 minutes, they played a pretty solid game
Take the opportunity when it's there but often the right play is to let the offence get on the floor. A missed quick strike keeps your d on the floor and now tired.
The Following User Says Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post: