Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2015, 05:16 PM   #1
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:
Default Eddie the Eagle Movie w/ Hugh Jackman

I think this deserves it's own thread because of the Calgary '88 connection. I didn't even know this was in production but I'm actually a little disappointed with the trailer.

Unlike "Cool Runnings" they didn't actually film in Calgary and at the end, the whole ski jump area looks like a little Swiss village instead of Calgary! WTF!

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 12-15-2015 at 05:20 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 07:59 PM   #2
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The trailer makes Calgary look like it's in the mountains, not near it. There is a mountain behind the olympic ski jump.

It's like they were too lazy to even google a picture of how the ski jumps looked like!

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you, Calgary circa 1988, as envisioned by Matthew Vaughn:

Not a single #### was given.

According to the comments, the location is actually Oberstdorf, Germany and no attempts were made to mask any of it's modern look (they even left the tracks in, which didn't exist in the 80's) or to use era-correct equipment.

They even use brand new rossignol skis...
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:02 PM   #3
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

No one cares about that stuff besides the people from the location. It won't matter to the vast majority of people who see it.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:17 PM   #4
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yes but theres not even a slight attempt made to replicate something you can go watch on YouTube. Its like they went "no one actually saw this, screw it."
Old 12-15-2015, 10:22 PM   #5
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Yes but theres not even a slight attempt made to replicate something you can go watch on YouTube. Its like they went "no one actually saw this, screw it."
They probably went "this won't affect the box office in anyway, screw it"
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:17 PM   #6
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

So Calgary and area has a booming film industry in the last few years with lots of high profile movies and TV shows being shot here, but none of them are ever actually set here. And once a movie gets made that actually does take place here, they film it in Germany. WTF
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:35 PM   #7
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

To be fair it would be almost impossible to transform the COP jump to look like it could accommodate a big competition on a movie screen.
The viewing area was bulldozed, the jump itself isn't anything special and the vista is non-existent.

Last edited by craigwd; 12-16-2015 at 04:49 PM.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:38 PM   #8
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

You're gonna love the Bre-X movie!
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:42 PM   #9
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I bet it's not worth the price of admission.
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 12:03 AM   #10
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwd View Post
To be fair it would be almost ipossible to transform the COP jump to look like it could accommodate a big competition on a movie screen.
The viewing area was bulldozed, the jump itself isn't anything special and the vista is non-existent.
Yeah, I think you nailed it. With Alberta's well known film industry I can almost guarantee you filming at the actual Olympic location was on the table. Then they likely came here, saw the "meh" look of COP/Winsport, saw that Calgary is very rarely covered in snow (I know the 88 Olympics were like this, but obviously they'd want to create a winter look regardless) and went "Not a ****ing chance we film here.

They were trying to create a larger than life atmosphere, and COP wouldn't come anywhere close to doing that. Not to mention with the gripe of that location looking too modern, don't forget that Winsport now has a huge modern triple hockey rink and bobsled training facility that doesn't look 80's at all.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 03:40 AM   #11
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

I thought this was an Eddie Belfour biopic with Hugh Jackman playing Belfour.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to savemedrzaius For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2015, 07:09 AM   #12
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post

both the popcorn ond the gold samples will have something in common as they were both salted

anywyas, the movie looks like it might be kind of interesting, and i'd consider spending $5 to watch it on Apple TV

Last edited by Northendzone; 12-16-2015 at 07:12 AM.
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 08:00 AM   #13
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
I thought this was an Eddie Belfour biopic with Hugh Jackman playing Belfour.
I'd love to see the part where he attempts to drunkenly bribe police officers with a billion dollars.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 08:15 AM   #14
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwd View Post
To be fair it would be almost ipossible to transform the COP jump to look like it could accommodate a big competition on a movie screen.
Not at all. Go watch some videos about composite shots. They could have shot in Calgary and added the crowd in. They do this stuff all the time. This is just lazy film making. Though I'll give them credit for tracking down Sun Ice jackets.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:25 AM   #15
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Old 12-16-2015, 09:28 AM   #16
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Not at all. Go watch some videos about composite shots. They could have shot in Calgary and added the crowd in. They do this stuff all the time. This is just lazy film making. Though I'll give them credit for tracking down Sun Ice jackets.
Perhaps the budget wasn't available for the kind of VFX work they would have needed. I'm curious if they will show any shots of Calgary at all in the film, even if just an 80's skyline shot or use archive footage to set the scene.

Cool Runnings did a fine job of showing Calgary & COP but I guess that was filmed only 5 years after the Olympics ended and a lot of the facilities hadn't been changed or degraded yet.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 12-16-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:47 AM   #17
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Perhaps the budget wasn't available for the kind of VFX work they would have needed. I'm curious if they will show any shots of Calgary at all in the film, even if just an 80's skyline shot or use archive footage to set the scene.

Cool Runnings did a fine job of showing Calgary & COP but I guess that was filmed only 5 years after the Olympics ended and a lot of the facilities hadn't been changed or degraded yet.
They can't now. The skyline will look completely different than the view from the top of the ski jump they used.

They could have easily got rid of the mountain behind the jump or at least made the jump look like the COP jump if they had any desire too. That's a pretty minor bit of CGI (especially for the director of movies like Kick Ass and Kingsmen). I'm pretty sure I could do it in photoshop in a few hours and I haven't opened photoshop since High School.

They just decided that it doesn't matter, which they're right, it doesn't for most people but it's kind of a slap in the face for Calgary or anyone that cares about those games, considering Calgary and the ski jump is at the climax of the story.

The fact that they used modern equipment is also almost unbelievable. Anyone who has skied in their life will catch that. Skis from the 80's and the new skis they used today are completely different. It'd be like seeing a full suspension, downhill mountain bike in a movie about tour de france set in the 40's where they didn't have gears.

Last edited by polak; 12-16-2015 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:06 PM   #18
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

It won't be authentic unless I can see myself sitting in the stands on the East side.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:22 PM   #19
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
It won't be authentic unless I can see myself sitting in the stands on the East side.
Don't forget about T-shirts. I remember the weather was so warm we wore t-shirts to the ski-jumping.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 01:38 PM   #20
TheDragon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Huh...

I heard through the grapevine that they were going to be filming it here, and that they originally had Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley from the Harry Potters films,) tapped to play Eddie. I guess that felt through.

Last edited by TheDragon; 12-16-2015 at 01:40 PM.
TheDragon is offline   Reply With Quote