Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2014, 03:33 PM   #41
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Here is the press release:
http://www.radiowest.ca/forum/viewto...p?f=14&t=11785

Quote:
The station, to be broadcast at 95.3 FM will be known as The PEAK and will be a music intensive Adult Album Alternative (AAA) format targeting female listeners from 25 to 49 years of age. The station will have a primary focus on new and emerging artists and a secondary focus on alternative music from the last decade (2000-2010). Local artists such as Cumako, Sydney York, The Dudes, Michael Bernard Fitzgerald, Braids and Zerbin will receive airplay, along with artists Said the Whale, Dan Mangan, Current Swell, Acres of Lions, Mother Mother, The Matinée, Hey Rosetta and Hey Ocean.

Temporary_User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:12 PM   #42
iLoveLamp
Scoring Winger

Exp:

They played a Maroon 5 song today while I was listening at work. Not sure how you call your station "modern rock" and play that. What a joke

My go to station when I'm near a computer is triple j. It's a station out of Australia and they will play almost anything. Check out the playlist here http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/music/playlists.htm

Last edited by iLoveLamp; 04-25-2014 at 05:17 PM.
iLoveLamp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iLoveLamp For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2014, 07:42 AM   #43
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

So a modern rock station that targets females is just X929 with Ellie Goulding and Maroon 5 sprinkled in? Interesting strategy.

As others have said, what an odd genre to get into at this time. It seems the genre is covered and not exactly booming with success. A third entry likely won't help that.

Once Carly talked about how she pees in the shower. I can't listen anymore without thinking about it incessantly. When it was Fraser, Roger, and Candice (?) it was one of my favourite morning shows ever. Shame they couldn't keep them together.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:59 AM   #44
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

When I do listen to the radio, it's CBC Radio 2. X is just awful. The morning show went from offensive to downright unlistenable when Roger (LISTEN TO MY OPINIONS, THEY ARE ALL THAT IS RIGHT) left and Carly joined. My wife left the car on X the other day and I heard her and doofus Fraser talking and I couldn't hit the change station button fast enough.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:55 PM   #45
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Did these guys give up the rock thing over the course of one day? Holy crap, I threw it on a preset yesterday and listened while driving.

It was a little light, but still had some weezer and other decent alternative rock. Then today I had it on for about forty minutes while driving and it was literally all soft pop. It was like Jason Mraz, Maroon 5, some chick that sings a really soft pop song.

After listening today it appears they're even closer to Vibe and Virgin than X929 has become. If anything, they're actually pretty close to Kiss 959 (formally light 959). Light poppy office friendly hits.

Not even close to what they advertised.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:13 PM   #46
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
So a modern rock station that targets females is just X929 with Ellie Goulding and Maroon 5 sprinkled in? Interesting strategy.

As others have said, what an odd genre to get into at this time. It seems the genre is covered and not exactly booming with success. A third entry likely won't help that.

Once Carly talked about how she pees in the shower. I can't listen anymore without thinking about it incessantly. When it was Fraser, Roger, and Candice (?) it was one of my favourite morning shows ever. Shame they couldn't keep them together.
For me, it was when Fraser joined that the morning show became abhorrent. I think it has something to do with his annoying Dennis Miller shtick. Then I listen to it lately and the easy listening music they're trying to pass off as alternative is excruciating to listen to. Even the advertising they play now seems to indicate a different demographic that they are after.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:42 PM   #47
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
For me, it was when Fraser joined that the morning show became abhorrent. I think it has something to do with his annoying Dennis Miller shtick. Then I listen to it lately and the easy listening music they're trying to pass off as alternative is excruciating to listen to. Even the advertising they play now seems to indicate a different demographic that they are after.
Wasn't Fraser brought in super early in the lifecycle of that station? Could be wrong. While I rarely agreed with them I enjoyed the banter. Roger was an interesting one and I totally see kermitology's point above... his political leanings are weighted opposite of my own, but I didn't find him obnoxious at all. I didn't agree with what he had to say most of the time, but I at least understood where he was coming from.

To me Carly was essential. Having a female to balance the other two really added to the conversations in my opinion. Once she left I stopped listening pretty quickly and jumped to using Rdio in the car exclusively.

This thread has reminded me how much I love streaming music services. They can make a "radio" station that basically has the target demographic of you. I don't see how traditional radio can ever compete with that.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:53 PM   #48
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, Fraser was brought in pretty early, but before that they had an interesting, almost college radio style to the show. That's what I enjoyed about them early on. CKUA is pretty good. They play some weird music that I had never experienced before - uncensored Brooklyn Funk Essentials. Otherwise x92.9 doesn't have a sound much different than anyone other music station. Heck, I'd rather listen to CJAY if it weren't for Gerry Forbes and Nickelback.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:55 PM   #49
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Yeah, Fraser was brought in pretty early, but before that they had an interesting, almost college radio style to the show. That's what I enjoyed about them early on. CKUA is pretty good. They play some weird music that I had never experienced before - uncensored Brooklyn Funk Essentials. Otherwise x92.9 doesn't have a sound much different than anyone other music station. Heck, I'd rather listen to CJAY if it weren't for Gerry Forbes and Nickelback.
It's funny, when X929 first started they had that no Nickelback guarantee, and at the time people loved it. Everyone was like "awesome, it's all really cool alternative music, they're playing all the stuff that isn't jock rock enough for Cjay, they've really nailed a missing link in Calgary radio".

Now a days though, I'd actually prefer nickelback to a lot of their pop and weak ass coffee shop indie songs.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:55 PM   #50
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

If anyone's interested they've launched their website with a bit more info. But honestly take x92.9 and replace Mother Mother with Adele and you've pretty much got "The Peak".

How boring.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:45 PM   #51
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
If anyone's interested they've launched their website with a bit more info. But honestly take x92.9 and replace Mother Mother with Adele and you've pretty much got "The Peak".

How boring.
X92.9 would like you to forget that they ever played Adele, or Katy Perry.
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:05 PM   #52
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
X92.9 would like you to forget that they ever played Adele, or Katy Perry.
Haha did they ever play either of em on x? I know Katy Perry did Warped Tour a few years ago, so it wouldn't shock me if she'd made it onto a few "alternative" playlist as a result.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:00 PM   #53
iLoveLamp
Scoring Winger

Exp:

X played Rolling In The Deep wayyy too much when it was wildly popular
iLoveLamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:50 PM   #54
LanceUppercut
Scoring Winger

Exp:

X also played Katy Perry's I Kissed a Girl A TON. When X first went on the air the morning show started with Roger/Candice. Fraser joined them a month or two later once his previous job/contract ended.

The DJ quality on the station has decreased remarkably. It seems like they are grabbing kids right out of school who have the personalities of a rock and their segments are just as bad.

That being said, I listened to 95.3 for about 15 minutes today on random errands and the main difference I noticed was the lack of commercials due to being so new. Everything else i heard on X previously.
LanceUppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:00 PM   #55
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I gave this station a few listens in the car the last few days, and I'm not sold. I've only spent maybe 30 mins total listening, and have already heard Dallas green/city and color 3 times, which is three times too many.
The peak seems geared toward women even more than x.
Mass_nerder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:06 PM   #56
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can sled island form a radio station or something? That's the kind of mix I would really enjoy casually listening to on the radio.
Everything from hard rock and punk like ####ed up, or rocket from the crypt, to poppy punk like hot water music, Indy pop like Ted Leo, straight rock like obits, and some older rock like dinosaur Jr. Or the breeders etc...
Mass_nerder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:20 PM   #57
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
So I gave this station a few listens in the car the last few days, and I'm not sold. I've only spent maybe 30 mins total listening, and have already heard Dallas green/city and color 3 times, which is three times too many.
The peak seems geared toward women even more than x.
Yeah, I actually understand Temporary User's comments about this station being geared towards woman more now that I've listened a few times. I though it was a weird comment when we thought it was going to be like the Peak in Vancouver.

I'm gonna throw something out there, that wouldn't surprise me if true. They're clearly playing lots of pop, like tons of it. Lots of weak, dancy top forty hits that aren't even close to being rock music. But they went out of their way to call themselves a rock station.

It wouldn't surprise me that in the world of young marketing people being completely entranced in manipulating the online world and making things go viral, if they knew this was just another top 40 station, with a slight, and I mean slight side of rock, and calling themselves a rock station was a way to get people talking about them.

Everyone talks about how they're supposed to be this but they're actually that. More and more people listen to see for themselves or just listen because they hear people talking about the "controversy" of this new station, and they get what they want; listeners that never would have known about them without all the talk.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that this was discussed and implemented on purpose.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:26 PM   #58
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
Yeah, I actually understand Temporary User's comments about this station being geared towards woman more now that I've listened a few times. I though it was a weird comment when we thought it was going to be like the Peak in Vancouver.

I'm gonna throw something out there, that wouldn't surprise me if true. They're clearly playing lots of pop, like tons of it. Lots of weak, dancy top forty hits that aren't even close to being rock music. But they went out of their way to call themselves a rock station.

It wouldn't surprise me that in the world of young marketing people being completely entranced in manipulating the online world and making things go viral, if they knew this was just another top 40 station, with a slight, and I mean slight side of rock, and calling themselves a rock station was a way to get people talking about them.

Everyone talks about how they're supposed to be this but they're actually that. More and more people listen to see for themselves or just listen because they hear people talking about the "controversy" of this new station, and they get what they want; listeners that never would have known about them without all the talk.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that this was discussed and implemented on purpose.
Having worked in marketing for 10 years now I can easily say that you're giving us far too much credit. More than likely it's the result of incompetence than malicious planning.

Last edited by Regular_John; 04-27-2014 at 09:29 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Regular_John For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2014, 10:21 PM   #59
jayswin

Exp:

Haha, liars. After having it on preset for a few weeks, 99% of the time I put it on it's Bruno Mars, Maroon 5 etc. Not even close to a rock station, lol.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:05 PM   #60
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
Haha, liars. After having it on preset for a few weeks, 99% of the time I put it on it's Bruno Mars, Maroon 5 etc. Not even close to a rock station, lol.
It actually started off really strong, then went down hill.

I have been supporting our upstart home town station, only on line:

http://sylvanlakeradio.ca/index.php
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote