Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Go Go Chromecast!

Surprisingly considering the number of CP members who now own this thing there isn't a thread.

Let's start off the thread with some big news:
Google adds 10 new Chromecast apps support.

A huge one on that list is Plex which would allow you to stream from your own personal source. I think Plex might have had web support before but that's always been spotty for me personally.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anduril For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Plex! We need another CP import immediately.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #3
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If Plex works better than on my apple tv for airplay this may take over!
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #4
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I use plex on my roku 3. Absolutely fantastic!
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
I use plex on my roku 3. Absolutely fantastic!
I agree it is awesome! For some reason the ios app struggles playing some of my content recently. Can chromecast access your local library by itself or do you still have to stream from a device to the chromecast.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

I have been loving my ChromCast, thanks again to Nick for this. It works really well. I installed the ChromeCast plug in and I can stream anything from my Chrome tab to my TV. This means mp4 files or any streaming videos or music.

Also do these new items work in Canada?
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Superflyer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

For now at least, you need to be a PlexPass subscriber to use it with Plex. And it sounds pretty buggy so far. In fact I haven't seen anyone who has actually gotten it to work yet. It sounds like the app just crashes as soon as you try to stream.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:54 AM   #8
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Mine works pretty well, but I have had some frustrations with getting it to connect to my Nexus 7 (the only android product I have). It'll frequently tell me it's unable to detect any chromecasts attached to my wireless network, and I'll have to toggle the wifi and stand right next to the TV for it to find the chromecast. Kind of annoying.
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #9
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
For now at least, you need to be a PlexPass subscriber to use it with Plex. And it sounds pretty buggy so far. In fact I haven't seen anyone who has actually gotten it to work yet. It sounds like the app just crashes as soon as you try to stream.
Lame. I was so excited to see the support for Plex that I was finally trying to figure out how to get a Chromecast, but if you need a subscription to watch your own movies then forget it
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:59 AM   #10
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Plex should get me to dust my chromecast off.

Super flyer how are you getting chromecast to work with anything other than the handful of apps that are supported? I can barely do anything with my android devices and chromecast other than YouTube. I don't see a way to get videos or pictures I have taken to the screen...which should be the most basic feature.
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #11
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Lame. I was so excited to see the support for Plex that I was finally trying to figure out how to get a Chromecast, but if you need a subscription to watch your own movies then forget it
It should work its way to free users eventually, but yeah it's kind of lame when they charge $5 for the mobile app and it doesn't even have this feature for non-subscribers.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #12
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Diddy View Post
Plex should get me to dust my chromecast off.

Super flyer how are you getting chromecast to work with anything other than the handful of apps that are supported? I can barely do anything with my android devices and chromecast other than YouTube. I don't see a way to get videos or pictures I have taken to the screen...which should be the most basic feature.
Install this plugin to use with Chrome. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...icfkmllpafd?hl

Once that is installed you can broadcast the tab to the ChromeCast. The catch is that you need at least a laptop with an i5 processor. You can't install this plug in on a tablet or phone.
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #13
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Thanks I have that plugin. I thought you were getting your android tablet to talk to your chromecast in the way an iPhone or iPad talks to an apple TV.
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #14
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
It should work its way to free users eventually, but yeah it's kind of lame when they charge $5 for the mobile app and it doesn't even have this feature for non-subscribers.
Dang I guess I will stick with my iOS airplay to apple TV for now until all the bugs get sorted out. Knowing the Plex community I am sure this will get working pretty quickly
Old 12-10-2013, 08:09 PM   #15
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey fund I love mine and think of the others who had to travel thru the snow to get one....you knowwhatI'm talkin bout lol.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #16
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Yzerman19 View Post
Mine works pretty well, but I have had some frustrations with getting it to connect to my Nexus 7 (the only android product I have). It'll frequently tell me it's unable to detect any chromecasts attached to my wireless network, and I'll have to toggle the wifi and stand right next to the TV for it to find the chromecast. Kind of annoying.
Use a wifi app to see what your signals are like and see if any other wifi signals, etc are interfering with it. The one I use is wifi analyzer. Then, google your router model number and see if there are tweaks for it.

Made a big difference on mine when I got it all set up correctly...
Old 12-15-2013, 09:34 AM   #17
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Are you having problems using your chromecast and a service such as unblock us? Where you are able to stream some movies on Netflix, but others you get the dreaded 'that title is not available right now' message?

There is an easy way to fix it.

On the chromecasts, there is no way to alter the DNS settings, they must go through googles servers in order for the chromecast to work properly.

There is a way, however, to map the google DNS to the unblock us (or any other VPN service) DNS numbers, but you have to do it in the router.

See here for more info:

http://digitalhome.ca/forum/showpost...1&postcount=87

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=124

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1&postcount=96

http://support.unblock-us.com/custom...727-chromecast

http://help.unotelly.com/support/sol...folders/223433

I am heading out, so I dont have time to get into it, but basically, you have to add a static route for the google servers to the unblock us (or whoever) ones at the router startup.

It looks complicated, but it really isnt. Dont forget to reboot your router after you have made those changes though...

If you need more info, just google 'chromecast unblock us' and you should get lots of info, or post questions here in this thread so others can see and help out.

Last edited by ricosuave; 12-15-2013 at 11:01 AM.
ricosuave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:13 AM   #18
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can you get any basic screen (ie. browser/desktop etc) to play on your tv? Or does it have to be an App?
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:18 AM   #19
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Can you get any basic screen (ie. browser/desktop etc) to play on your tv? Or does it have to be an App?
Only apps. Chrome on a laptop/PC will do a second screen, but it's apparently quite buggy
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:10 PM   #20
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmm, that's too bad, I was hoping for it to just replicate your screen.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote