Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #41
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Phoenix
Won't even exist in 5 years.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2012, 10:36 PM   #42
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

just to give an example of how hard this would be

in 2007 the Anaheim Mighty Ducks won the stanley cup led by 3 players under 22 all coming off huge years and bigger playoffs (Perry/Getzlaf/Penner)

They now would be in the discussion for bottom 5 teams in the league

The St.Louis Blues, Chicago Blackhawks, Montreal Canadians, Edmonton Oilers, Phoenix Coyotes, Edmonton Oilers all were ranked as having top 10 prospect groups

only 1 of them (Chicago) was ever in the discussion as being the best team the last 5 years

meaning that it's extremely hard to predict, outside of Detroit always being in the mix
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2012, 11:04 AM   #43
coop3422
Farm Team Player

Exp:

5 years is a long time but:

Philly - Voracek stepped up last year, playing with Jagr really helped develop him, as with Hartnell. Giroux keeps getting better, Couturier and Schenn both look good, I think B Schenn is tops in the AHL for scoring, or he was a week or two ago. It comes down to goaltending, and a blue line that could use a body to replace an aging timmonen. (ok philly is my team, so I have a little larger opinion of the team lol)

If Edmonton doesn't start drafting a goalie or blue line, they'll never live to their potential. They've got great talent up front, but it makes them 1 dimensional.

St Louise and LA both have good young teams. LA is pretty stacked when you look at their roster. They have all 3 facets of the game. And they're young. They also know what it takes to win, wouldn't be shocked to see them get another win in the next 5 years.

There are a few more, I hate the Pens but they are good too, as is Boston, Detroit, there's about 10 teams I think I'd group together. Too hard to pick one.
coop3422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #44
cowtown75
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Impossible convo to have. Lots can happen in 5 years and some teams may trade prospects off and some may draft really good within 5 years that may pan out better than current draft picks now. Example, if the season is lost and Calgary wins the first overall pick in the lottery draft and picks MacKinnon, now what ? then we draft high again the next year cause we traded up in the draft or made a slick trade or two ? what if we ended up with McDavid too somehow ? the dynamic of everything would change in an instant. Five years is a long time away, and this should be about the time we could expect a guy like Jankowski breakin through if all goes to plan. Good question, but impossible to answer these days.
cowtown75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cowtown75 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2012, 11:17 PM   #45
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
I dunno. Florida had an awful goal differential last season. People are too willing to heap praise on Tallon for something that basically amounted to luck IMO.

Its like when everyone pressed the genius tag on Yzerman for turning around the Lightning. Next season, back in the ditch.
6 years from last years totals we are talking here. You don't see any improvement in Florida in 6 yrs with all the talent they have in their system and your reasoning is last years goal differential?
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:03 AM   #46
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Agree that this is an impossible question to answer. The rosters will turn over to such a high extent that a good young player base now does not ensure anything in 5 years.

That said the most informed answer would be one that takes into account which teams have solid management and scouting that will likely be secure for that timeframe.

My pics:
-Philly: Holmgren and his scouts seem to successfully retool every few years. Based on their previous track record and their young player base (Couturier, Schenn, Voracek, Giroux) they should/could still be solid in 5 years
-Boston: Seguin could still be a big piece in 5 years. Boston seems to have strong scouting and management.
-Pitt: If they keep Crosby and Malkin healthy it seems like they should have a perennial contender assuming some supporting cast is kept in place
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:32 PM   #47
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

Philly
doctajones428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:26 PM   #48
zarrell
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I'm cheering for the Wild to get better in the next few years. Despite them being division rivals, I've always thought they have a good fanbase and deserve a good hockey team.
I agree. If only because I'm tired of watching the most terrible hockey imaginable every time they come to town.

zarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:12 PM   #49
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pittsburgh....... Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Fleury all in late 20's or very early 30's. Any supporting cast and they should still be a powerhouse.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:02 AM   #50
AR_Six
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I feel like Minnie would be a more comfortable pick if this was 5-7 years. 5 might be around when some of these guys just working their way into the system will break out. But I'm taking them anyway. Recognizing this is meaningless because it's impossible to predict 5 years out.
AR_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #51
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Depends on the CBA. If the owners get what the offered in their last offer I can't see the Oilers being the best of the 3. There all offense no defense and we all know offense gets paid the big bucks. Things already are looking tight for them in 2 years when it comes to the cap. I would say the Islanders just because they have the much better cap situation if the can afford to spend the money and have top end players like Taveres cheaper then the Oilers have Hall and Eberle signed for

If the owners cave in a bit and give the players what they want I would say Edmonton. They have better top end talent then Stl and I see Stl having more cap issues. Stl has much better d though and Pietrangelo is probably better then anyone the Oilers have but the Oilers do have 4 guys that could be ppg+ players
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:13 AM   #52
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

If we are taking anyone not just out of those 3 teams

Pittsburgh, LA and Philly aren't going anywhere. CBA effects these teams as well but Philly to me could be scary considering how good they were and they have Couturier and Schenn who were just rookies last year. But I see major cap problems with them when Giroux's contract expires
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:12 AM   #53
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
6 years from last years totals we are talking here. You don't see any improvement in Florida in 6 yrs with all the talent they have in their system and your reasoning is last years goal differential?
How did you get that out of what I wrote?

I said I don't see Tallon as the saviour that some claim to be. The Panthers have a large volume of prospects, but they don't appear to have much in the way of future game breakers. They'll be better, but I will be surprised if they are one of the best teams in the league.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #54
Miniac
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Five years is a long time away. The Flames don't necessarily have to be the strongest team in the NHL however I'm hoping the Flames will be a strong contender for the cup.
Miniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:56 AM   #55
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who is the strongest team today? LA won the cup but were an 8th seed and have been 6th, 7th, 8th in the past 3 years of making the playoffs.

Is Boston the strongest team? Lost in the first round but were the #2 seed in the East and won the Cup in 2011

Vancouver made it to game 7 in 2011 and won the Presidents trophy 2 years running

Pittsburgh has the best player on the planet finally recovered from injuries about to enter his prime but have not done anything in the playoffs since 2009 when they won the cup

It is hard to guess who will be the strongest 5 years from now when it is tough to say who the strongest is today (unless we say LA is because they won the cup last year)
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:13 PM   #56
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Who is the strongest team today? LA won the cup but were an 8th seed and have been 6th, 7th, 8th in the past 3 years of making the playoffs.

Is Boston the strongest team? Lost in the first round but were the #2 seed in the East and won the Cup in 2011

Vancouver made it to game 7 in 2011 and won the Presidents trophy 2 years running

Pittsburgh has the best player on the planet finally recovered from injuries about to enter his prime but have not done anything in the playoffs since 2009 when they won the cup

It is hard to guess who will be the strongest 5 years from now when it is tough to say who the strongest is today (unless we say LA is because they won the cup last year)
Um why are you mentioning the past 3 seasons of L.A when the question is about who is the best team TODAY?

Of course it's L.A. They just steamrolled themselves to the Stanley Cup and barely broke a sweat and have the same team for the most part.
puckluck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:48 PM   #57
Miniac
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post

Biased opinion but definitely not Vancouver!
Miniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:22 PM   #58
Samiz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Minny will be a powerhouse, I believe. They have a lot of talented prospects and are not far off from being a force to be reckoned with
Samiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:40 PM   #59
hansmoleman
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Agree that this is an impossible question to answer. The rosters will turn over to such a high extent that a good young player base now does not ensure anything in 5 years.

That said the most informed answer would be one that takes into account which teams have solid management and scouting that will likely be secure for that timeframe.

My pics:
-Philly: Holmgren and his scouts seem to successfully retool every few years. Based on their previous track record and their young player base (Couturier, Schenn, Voracek, Giroux) they should/could still be solid in 5 years
-Boston: Seguin could still be a big piece in 5 years. Boston seems to have strong scouting and management.
-Pitt: If they keep Crosby and Malkin healthy it seems like they should have a perennial contender assuming some supporting cast is kept in place
This is the kind of discussion and answer I was hoping to get. I know 5 years is maybe a long time, but based on scouting, management, retirement and prospects in the system, which teams are trending upwards?

Philly, Bos and Pitt are all strong choices for sure, but how about factors like:

BOS- Chara retiring, possibly losing Krecji, Thomas leaving

PHI - Bryzgalov declines while philly is handcuffed with his contract, thin on defense

PITT - Crosbys health issues continue, Marc Andre Fleury declines (I personally think he is overrated)

My personal choices are:

St. Louis - Have a great mix of young stars and veterans, some solid prospects coming up through their system (tarasenko to name one). one question mark would be goaltending, although this wasnt an issue last year.

NYI - Tavares is an excellent player to build around, kids like reinhart strome kabanov are on their way up. Issues could be their crazy owner and weak goaltending.

CAR - Staal brothers, Cam Ward, Jeff Skinner, Justin Faulk and Ryan Murphy both look pretty promising. Need help on the back end though.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:20 PM   #60
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iginla View Post
Um why are you mentioning the past 3 seasons of L.A when the question is about who is the best team TODAY?

Of course it's L.A. They just steamrolled themselves to the Stanley Cup and barely broke a sweat and have the same team for the most part.
I hear you but did they just get hot for 2 months this team was a 8 seed. Did they just under achieve for the entire regular season and they will be a powerhouse once the league fires up?

One could argue Boston is stronger than LA or Pittsburgh as well is all I am saying

If we ate talking a handful of teams for 5 years time I will say Boston, Philly, Edmonton are set up to be pretty strong
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote