Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-06-2011, 11:52 AM   #41
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
A point of much contention, obviously. Simple instructions, don't screw them up. And please don't post which Booster Juice or Jugo Juice drink is your favourite. Homemade only.

My go to:

- 1/2 cup ice cubes
- Spoonfull of peanut butter
- Chocolate whey protein
- Frozen banana
- Almond milk

Not the healthiest one around, to be sure, but it's great for a post workout drink and fills you up. And it tastes amazing.

Whos' next...
That's pretty similar to my "go-to", except I grind up a couple tablespoons of flax seed and add that. If I need a pick-me-up I substitute the PB for a shot of espresso or a tablespoon of instant coffee mix.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:00 PM   #42
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

This thread needs to be re-named "epic dumps".

I'm a fan of peanut butter flavoured protein, water, ice cubes, and one of those starbucks instant coffees.

Low calorie and it gives you a great morning jolt.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:14 PM   #43
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinner View Post
That's what I thought, too much protein can cause osteoarthritis as well as heart disease and kidney problems. Protein is in so much of our diet it's really easy to get too much. And then there are a lot of people that fortify a lot more into their diet
I've never heard of a link between high protein consumption and osteoarthritis, nor heart disease.

As for kidney problems, generally there are only issues if the individual has a history of kidney disease/issues. They adapt to high protein intake.

I think it's ridiculous for people to be consuming well in excess of the recommendations, especially given that the recommendations are based off of the most protein you'd possibly need in that situation. But hey, it's their money, and if they want to shell out the cash for extra calories then that's their prerogative!

Of course, since the recommendations have been criticized, they may actually be a lot higher than current. Or a lot lower. Hopefully some better studies are in progress.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:06 PM   #44
Pinner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I read about it here: http://ca.askmen.com/top_10/fitness/...ness_list.html

Quote:
Eating too much protein
Why it's dangerous: In the off-season, bodybuilders typically eat 1.25 to 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight each day. Before competitions, many increase their protein intake to 1.75 to 2.0 g per pound. However, eating too much protein can have many negative effects. First, it may lead to higher levels of homocysteine, a by-product of protein metabolism and an independent risk factor for heart disease. Moreover, having too much protein in your body can cause irreversible kidney damage and increase your risk of osteoporosis.
Pinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:11 PM   #45
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinner View Post
You said osteoarthritis but I believe you meant osteoporosis.

Protein consumption increases calcium loss. Excess protein consumption does not cause osteoporosis; poor calcium levels do. It's recommended that you have at least a 10:1 ratio of calcium(mg) : protein(g) due to the calcium loss, but this effect of protein over-consumption is very avoidable.

The claims of kidney problem claims are unsubstantiated, although there is an increased risk of kidney stones due to the same mechanism as above (calcium loss).

As for heart disease:

Quote:
In humans, analysis of data from the Nurses’ Health Study showed an inverse relationship between protein intake and risk of cardiovascular disease (Hu et al., 1999).
You can read about it here.

(And yes, I agree you that shouldn't over consume protein. It may not cause the problems you say, but it's pretty useless.)
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:31 AM   #46
OBCT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I know this is quite a bump, but there have been a lot of these threads lately.

First off, I want to thank everyone for their great advice in this and the many other healthy smoothie, food, diet and lifestyle threads on CP in the last few years. I occasionally glanced in on them while they were active, but in the last few days I've searched and scoured thru your favourite ingredients and recipes to add to my new repertoire.

I've recently moved back to Calgary for school. Pretty much simultaneously, I decided to use this change as an opportunity to also change my health for the better.

One common theme I noticed for a lot of people was eggs for breakfast. I've now taken to this tradition, and must say, I love it. Eggs are amazingly versatile on top of being delicious! I have a soft spot for Burnbrae Farms Naturegg Omega Pro, but I've only found them at Coscto so far. They're so tasty, and judging by the label, healthy, too.

Now back to the original (though it was months ago) point of the thread: smoothies. I compiled a table of the best smoothie ingredients for myself, mostly taken straight from CP threads. [If you're interested, it's located here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1.../edit?hl=en_US. It's a single page; I keep one copy on my fridge and one in my backpack. It's very loosely ordered from top to bottom as "best" to "worst" (taking into account healthfulness, taste, texture, cost and accessibility).]

So that's all great, but I still have some questions.

I don't want to live off these things (one smoothie a day sounds like lots) but I do like the idea of adding that guaranteed healthful component to my diet (the creativity/variety is also appealing) while I work on learning how to cook some decent meals. Every ingredient has different properties and strengths, obviously. I really want to know how to customize a smoothie to help me get the most out of it on a particular day.

1. What ingredients in a morning smoothie will help me stay full/alert all day at school if I know I'm busy and can't do a proper lunch?

2. What goes into a good pre-workout smoothie, especially compared to a good post-workout smoothie? (I only know there's a difference because of the newer Gatorade commercials. ) In one of the threads I think someone said chocolate milk is all you need after a workout. If so, that's really easy.

3. What could I put into a quick snack or between-meals smoothie to satiate myself but not spoil my appetite for a later meal I know is coming up?

One thing I've done to hopefully set myself up for success is buy a juicer/blender combo ... thing. It's the Breville BJB840XL. I was initially taken aback by the price ($450 USD before tax+S&H??!??), but after reading all the reviews I could find, I was sold! Thanks to shopbot.ca, I was also able to score a good deal, too - $399 CDN after tax and priority shipping. (Price match Galtak or ForumAppliance at electronicsforless.ca). Now there is no excuse for not getting enough fruits/vegetables into my system on a regular basis.

If anyone is still reading this, congratulations and thank you for taking the time to do so. Any thoughts are welcomed. Thanks again to those who've already started me on the right track.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:29 AM   #47
Codes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I also have a smoothie related query:

I had been preparing a simple almond milk/chocolate whey protein smoothie every morning for breakfast, and after a couple of weeks I noticed that I was getting an upset stomach. I finally realized that it must be the whey protein, and a friend told me some people are more sensitive to this form of protein powder than others.

Do you have any suggestions for a possible variant or replacement for a protein supplement to add to a morning shake?
Old 08-22-2011, 07:44 AM   #48
edmontonice
Backup Goalie

Exp:

1 Banana
half cup frozen blueberries
Protein Powder
1 tbsp Almond butter
1 tbsp coconut oil
top it up with whole milk
~ 750 calories of delicious!
edmontonice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:08 AM   #49
Red Ice Player
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

1 cup oj
1 medium banana
1/4 cup plain yogurt
3 tbsp hemp seed
2 tbsp chocalate whey
1/2 cup frozen peaches
1/2 cup frozen mangos
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
1/2 cup frozen strawberries
Red Ice Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:31 PM   #50
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

However much of frozen blueberries I want.
However much of frozen juice concentrate I want.
However much of protein powder I want.
However much of water I want.
However much of blending I want.

M...M...Good and simple.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:34 PM   #51
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

4 oz Jamesons
3 egg yolks
2 packets of artificial sweetener
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:35 PM   #52
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

2 scoops mutant mass protien powder and 500ml water.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:31 PM   #53
drhu22
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
And I gotta' add: if you don't have a Magic Bullet, you have to think about getting one. It changed my smoothie-making life.

There s nothing worse than cleaning out a clunky blender every morning.
Ill see your magic bullet and raise you an immersion blender...even less to wash up...just one piece to rinse under the tap. I got one at a g sale and really like it for smoothies and cold soups. A lot of people use them for baby food also.

http://www.vegkitchen.com/tips/cool-...rsion-blender/
drhu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:39 PM   #54
PeteLFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

1 cup 1% milk
1 banana
1 cup blueberries
1 tblspn udo 3-6-9 oil
1 tblspn peanut butter
2 scoops whey protein

Post workout shake or breakfast shake
PeteLFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:40 PM   #55
PeteLFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codes View Post
I also have a smoothie related query:

I had been preparing a simple almond milk/chocolate whey protein smoothie every morning for breakfast, and after a couple of weeks I noticed that I was getting an upset stomach. I finally realized that it must be the whey protein, and a friend told me some people are more sensitive to this form of protein powder than others.

Do you have any suggestions for a possible variant or replacement for a protein supplement to add to a morning shake?
Which powder do you use? Lots of companies have digestive enzymes now. You should look for iso whey protein.
PeteLFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:45 PM   #56
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

- 3 eggs
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 Heaping tablespoon or plain yogurt or cream cheese
- 1 banana or a handful of strawberries
- 1 teaspoon reduced sugar Nesquik
- 1 scoop of low-carb whey protein powder
- 2 - 3 ice cubes
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:26 PM   #57
jschick88
Franchise Player

Exp:

8 ice cubes
10 hulled strawberries
1 banana
1/2 cup of skim milk
1/2 cup of non fat yogurt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 scoop of whey protein
jschick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #58
saskflames69
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

*BUMP

Spinach
Vanilla Yogurt
Milk
Mint Leaves (or mint extract, but it doesn't taste the same)
Honey

I don't know what I was thinking when I made this, all I can tell you is that when drinking, please remember, "the green comes from the mint leaves." It's almost like drinking a shamrock shake without the bad.
Connor Zary will win the Hart Trophy in 2027.
saskflames69 is offline   Reply With Quote