Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2017, 12:48 PM   #21
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
Because they're the client, and Sportsnet is failing to deliver the product to paying customers. It would just be nice to have them acknowledge the concern.
Flames would rather you pay $$$ to see the game live rather than on your couch where they don't make any revenue from you. Don't think for a minute that Ken King and management aren't fully aware that the product is substandard. I wouldn't be surprised if they actually endorse it.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:27 PM   #22
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Flames would rather you pay $$$ to see the game live rather than on your couch where they don't make any revenue from you. Don't think for a minute that Ken King and management aren't fully aware that the product is substandard. I wouldn't be surprised if they actually endorse it.
There's an easy work around. Obviously, SN could not care less if we are frustrated with the fact that their audio is not sync'd with the play and too quiet. We've told them, RMillions has been 'on the case' for a few years now.

Rather then telling SN over and over again, let's tell the companies who advertise on Sportsnet that their ads cause audio issues and we will not purchase and encourage friends and families to not purchase '______' products until it is resolved. As a fan base on this forum, we have the collective power to cause issues for Pinty's for example on social media if their well spent advertising dollars are frustrating viewers because of Rogers' craptacular implementation of technologies.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2017, 11:20 AM   #23
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know it's already been said in the game thread and post game, but felt it should be acknowledged in this thread as well, since it's the subject.

Now that's how the audio should sound like. Crowd and on ice sounds are part of the presentation and provides energy to the broadcast. First time I ever heard the Saddledome actually sound loud on a Sportsnet telecast. Hope they keep the audio levels permanent since it makes the telecast much better.

Now, how about some 1080p HD cameras?
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2017, 11:22 AM   #24
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

A bit unrelated but I thought the game looked spectacular last night. Noticeably different (to me) than recent games at the Saddledome.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:23 AM   #25
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Maybe it is just me but I didn't really notice a difference last night, other than the fact that the crowd itself was louder than previous games.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2017, 11:24 AM   #26
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
I know it's already been said in the game thread and post game, but felt it should be acknowledged in this thread as well, since it's the subject.

Now that's how the audio should sound like. Crowd and on ice sounds are part of the presentation and provides energy to the broadcast. First time I ever heard the Saddledome actually sound loud on a Sportsnet telecast. Hope they keep the audio levels permanent since it makes the telecast much better.

Sportsnet feed makes me feel like I'm wearing these:

I always end up mucking around with my tv before turning on a different feed.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:33 AM   #27
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post

The cameras and the equipment are fine it's the production where Sportsnet fails.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:35 PM   #28
ASP#26525
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Sportsnet feed makes me feel like I'm wearing these:

I always end up mucking around with my tv before turning on a different feed.
I really, really hope that is actually you.
ASP#26525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:51 PM   #29
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't seem to have the same quality issues (Bell satellite out here in the BC boonies) as most of you, and DID notice that the crowd was significantly louder. Hrudey mentioned it a few times in the b'cast as well, and it filtered through in the background quite decently.

Is it possible that the feeds are differently treated by the carriers? (cable vs. satellite maybe?)
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:54 PM   #30
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
I don't seem to have the same quality issues (Bell satellite out here in the BC boonies) as most of you, and DID notice that the crowd was significantly louder. Hrudey mentioned it a few times in the b'cast as well, and it filtered through in the background quite decently.

Is it possible that the feeds are differently treated by the carriers? (cable vs. satellite maybe?)
On Bell satellite as well and also pretty happy with what I'm seeing/hearing lately.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 02:00 PM   #31
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The best way I can describe it is every time I watch a Flames SN broadcast I'm left thinking it's not really HD and end up tinkering with my display settings trying to get a better image.

Then I flip the channel to an American broadcast and marvel at the way it looks on my 4K ultra with no tweaks necessary.

I'm not sure what their root cause is, but the HD presentation is downright terrible.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 02:00 PM   #32
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was at the game last night and the crowd was probably the loudest I'd heard all season. Can't comment on the SN feed for last night, but in general the mix is way off, too much commentary mic out-front of the game action, and they have other mics in the rink turned way up so you hear every stick tap and slash. I don't need to hear that as much. Give me the ambiance, nicely mixed in with on-ice mics, and the play by play overlaid so that it feels like theyre right at ice-level...

I don't know. Is this too much to ask for??
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 02:02 PM   #33
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

On the reddit GDT all of the Pens fans were commenting on how loud the building was.

Take from that what you will.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 02:11 PM   #34
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

It seems like SN puts much more emphasis on the on-ice noises than overall atmosphere. You can hear the boards clanging, and sticks banging on the ice (and the occasional conversation) really well...but the downside of this is that it seems like it mitigates the crowd noise, which tends to kill any atmosphere when watching.

Personally, I think the priority needs to be flipped. Because who the hell cares about a puck bouncing off the boards.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:42 PM   #35
Yorkshire Flame
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
The cameras and the equipment are fine it's the production where Sportsnet fails.
I wonder what it looks like for someone who streams the SportsNet feed via GameCentre to their TV?
Yorkshire Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:50 PM   #36
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire Flame View Post
I wonder what it looks like for someone who streams the SportsNet feed via GameCentre to their TV?
i watch gamecentre on my tv, either through a streaming box or my ps4, and I notice a significant difference in vibrancy and clarity on most alternative feeds as compared to the Flames feed.

It is not ALWAYS apparent, but generally I watch the opposition feed.

It gives me exposure to the rest of the announce teams in the league, and I miss Ball and Hrudey tremendously sometimes, but being able to see the game clearer is more important to me.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:11 PM   #37
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Maybe it is just me but I didn't really notice a difference last night, other than the fact that the crowd itself was louder than previous games.
Montreal crowd was very loud. I was there and one of the loudest non playoff games I've been to and I had it recorded as well and the sound didn't translate at all to the broadcast.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote