Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2017, 11:17 PM   #1
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default A series of unfortunate events on netflix

Has anyone watched this show? Me and my wife are on the third episode, but I am actually really enjoying it.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:04 PM   #2
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was really disappointed, and I came in wanting to love it.

NPH in particular seems to be a completely incorrect choice for Olaf, and I think it really holds the series back.

But I see the reviews are very good so I seem to be in the minority.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2017, 10:12 PM   #3
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it is pretty good. I don't know about Harris. He seems maybe a bit too young for the look they are trying to pull off, but his body language is great.

The comedy is good here too. I feel like I have learned new words, and maybe if more people watched, "literally" and "figuratively" would never be incorrectly used again.

Anyway, I am not familiar with the books, but are they supposed to look identical to the movie cast?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:47 PM   #4
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's incredibly well executed. Watching the first two episodes, NPH has had a number of totally hilarious moments, and Patrick Warburton is amazing. But I'm not sure who this series is for. I can't imagine kids enjoying it, but I can't really see a large segment of any other demographic being terribly interested either. Maybe I'm wrong.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:03 AM   #5
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Wanted to like it. But it's just immensely boring.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2017, 08:07 AM   #6
Guest1

I watched the first 2 episodes with my 7 year old daughter and enjoyed it, so did she. I found it was a good "shut your mind off and not have to think and just enjoy" show. Side note: I went to high school with the tall, bald henchman.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:23 AM   #7
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Binged watched the whole series in a day.

Well executed. Being a hardcore fan of the novels I thought it was great. Count olaf is more sinister. Poe has more depth . The stories seem to be more melancholy than the written page portrays. I like how Lemeny Snicket is much more centred in the story. The additions that don't appear in the book add more context going into the next season.

Overall it is a well done adaptive film piece. The Burtoniusqe visuils combined with a richer plot make this series a must watch.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:27 AM   #8
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Wanted to like it. But it's just immensely boring.
Really? The 13 novels were much more tedious.

It os not an action based plot. It is suppose to over exaggerate the sadness of the kidss situations to the point wher enjoying their terrible life is suppose to make to feel terrible and a slighty depressed.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:33 AM   #9
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I think it is pretty good. I don't know about Harris. He seems maybe a bit too young for the look they are trying to pull off, but his body language is great.

The comedy is good here too. I feel like I have learned new words, and maybe if more people watched, "literally" and "figuratively" would never be incorrectly used again.

Anyway, I am not familiar with the books, but are they supposed to look identical to the movie cast?
Similiar yes.

In the movie Kluas dose not wear glasses yet in the novels he does.

The series is much closer to the novels in appearance and. Chronological order of events.

The movie was close to appearances but jump in time from one novel to another. The series is in chronological order and appearances. The only character that has a somewhat steady appereance is count Olaf .
Old 01-20-2017, 02:40 AM   #10
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I was really disappointed, and I came in wanting to love it.

NPH in particular seems to be a completely incorrect choice for Olaf, and I think it really holds the series back.

But I see the reviews are very good so I seem to be in the minority.
Surprising.

NPH portays a much more charismatic character as Carey did and is much more evil than the film or written novels. I uderstand your opinion tho. At times he seems to try to oit "Barney" himself and some musical spots he has seems a little to Dr Horrible.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:47 AM   #11
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also really enjoyed how they where able to sneak Daniel Handler into his cameoe roles without making it super obvious.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:39 AM   #12
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
Surprising.

NPH portays a much more charismatic character as Carey did and is much more evil than the film or written novels. I uderstand your opinion tho. At times he seems to try to oit "Barney" himself and some musical spots he has seems a little to Dr Horrible.
I see what you're saying as well, and I've heard others say it too, but I just disagree. I found this Olaf to be a complete caricature. Instead of creating a voice for the role, NPH just over-accentuates certain words. It just sounds like regular old NPH talking for the most part. Carrey's Olaf, while appropriately comedic, was also sinister and intimidating. I never got that from NPH.

In Olaf's disguises, NPH also just seemed to act as those characters. It felt like NPH was acting as Stephano, for example. Carey seemed to understand that he needed to act as Olaf acting as Stephano. I guess that comparison is a little unfair since Carrey is one of the best impressionists in the world.

I like the changes from the movie as a whole (I didn't really like the movie either), particularly the greater role for Lemony Snicket, but I just felt throughout all 8 episodes that it would have been much better with Jim Carrey.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:42 AM   #13
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
It's incredibly well executed. Watching the first two episodes, NPH has had a number of totally hilarious moments, and Patrick Warburton is amazing. But I'm not sure who this series is for. I can't imagine kids enjoying it, but I can't really see a large segment of any other demographic being terribly interested either. Maybe I'm wrong.
My kids (10 and 8) are really enjoying it. They love these series that have stories connecting over several episodes. The Dragons and Trollhunter Netflix series do this as well.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:42 PM   #14
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nm

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 01-25-2017 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:09 AM   #15
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been watching A Series of Unfortunate Events on Netflix and I am very much enjoying it. I have never read the books so I can't speak on how it holds up in comparison, only seen the previous version of the movie (which I did not enjoy). Heading into the final two episodes now.

But I am curious, since they seem to be spending 2 episodes per book, with 13 books in the series and 8 episodes per season, that would be 3 seasons plus two episodes. What seems more likely? A 10 episode season? A couple books extended into 3 episodes? Or could the 4th season be the entire final book?
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:52 AM   #16
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife keeps suggesting we watch this but the first episode was so terrible (boring) I can't bring myself to click it again.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:23 PM   #17
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it just me? Or are they overusing monotone? I've only seen the first two episodes and my wife has stated she is not interested in continuing.

Overall, I find it reasonably well executed, but I also find that the slight lack of variation in "style" causes me on occasion to wonder whether I am experiencing deja vu, or if there actually is a lot of unnecessary repeat. The train and beach scenes do this the most to me. I also get annoyed at times when it seems like the actors repeat lines like broken records. Stefano (saying his name) and Poe (phone scenes) seem to do this a lot and/or Lemony Snicket says it, and then the character says it on scene.

Is this show supposed to feel dragged out on purpose?
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2017, 12:31 PM   #18
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Is it just me? Or are they overusing monotone? I've only seen the first two episodes and my wife has stated she is not interested in continuing.

Overall, I find it reasonably well executed, but I also find that the slight lack of variation in "style" causes me on occasion to wonder whether I am experiencing deja vu, or if there actually is a lot of unnecessary repeat. The train and beach scenes do this the most to me. I also get annoyed at times when it seems like the actors repeat lines like broken records. Stefano (saying his name) and Poe (phone scenes) seem to do this a lot and/or Lemony Snicket says it, and then the character says it on scene.

Is this show supposed to feel dragged out on purpose?
Just to add, the coughing Poe stuff got old after the first scene, and it carries on for 7 more episodes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post: